Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday Spin 6/11/10 Dundrum.

• 03-11-2010 7:48pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭

DEPART DUNDRUM 9AM.

"The Wet and Windy"

Newtownmountkennedy / Slaughter Hill / Roundwood / Dundrum.
    A few hours...........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Planet X wrote: »
    DEPART DUNDRUM 9AM.

"The Wet and Windy"

Newtownmountkennedy / Slaughter Hill / Roundwood / Dundrum.
    A few hours...........

Can't make Saturday it but doing that route Sunday AM if anyone is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

colour me maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mahoo

new bike arrived yesterday so its itching for a spin. . . im going to remain optimistic on the weather.. website i normally find pretty accurate has it dry, 14mph wind from north west, and cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Should be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

I'll see what the weather is doing.

• Advertisement

the weather is betraying me.. looking like it'll be light rain. i guess 4 dry saturdays in a row at this time of year was a good run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

I'll try and make this if the weather isn't too apocalyptic

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Well done lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Hope to be along for this,will try to be there for nine sharp....ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I'll be out but unlikely to make dundrum so I'll see you on the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

I'll try to make it, weather permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

daragh_ wrote: »
    Can't make Saturday it but doing that route Sunday AM if anyone is around.

Would be on for that weather permitting but would like to be leaving Dundrum no later than 8pm (or earlier if that were possible). Does that suit?

jimm wrote: »
    I'll try to make it, weather permitting.

Good man Jimm, the weather is very permitting at 7:40am. anyway.
    Bright and nippy.

Clear blue sky - hopefully it stays
    As you say Planet X - going to be nippy up there!

Would be on for that weather permitting but would like to be leaving Dundrum no later than 8pm (or earlier if that were possible). Does that suit?

8 is best for me. See you under the bridge. Black PX. Hope you don't mind my slow pace up Slaughter Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭Gasco

Should be on for the Sunday version, as long as ye don't mind waiting at the top of Slaughter Hill

Grand. Is it under the Luas bridge? I will be on a black Specialized. No need to worry at all about the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would have been a lovely day today, had to come into bloody work.

Sunday..hmm....bloody cycling is interfering with my drinking career...

Will be under the Luas bridge at 8 so.

Just in. Enjoy Slaughter Hill tomorrow, it's "cool".

First few drops of rain starting.

7 out this morning. Not bad. Lads stopped in Enniskerry on the way back for "cafe avec les dames" no doubt. I carried on. Joker77 went down to Laragh to inflict more punishment on himself, well done. Could be gone for a coffee and spliff as an excuse, who knows.

I was bad up Slaughter Hill and my excuse was that, and it was the first thing I did when I got in, was to weigh my winter chariot. (as an excuse of course :))
    26lbs 5oz. = 12 kilos exactly. Big difference going uphill alright compared to my race bike. Those bloody Schwalbe tyres at 590grs each is the culprit mainly.
    Ah well, what doesn't kill ya etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

i decided to make beer instead of going cycling. and now there's rugby lined up on the tv. what a day :D

Commendable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

As a matter of interest what sort of speed would you lot average on these spins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭mvt

Yeah,nice day out,good to be back on a boards spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

No wonder I'm in bits, my Garmin says we rode 821kms. It was great to be out and the weather was perfect but dear god that was one of the worst days I've had on a bike.
    Big thanks to Planet X for dragging me along from Roundwood to Enniskerry(I still owe you a cuppa) And thanks to mvt for the company from Enniskerry back to Dundrum. Fair play lads and apologies for slowing things up.

no worries taxman. we all have our bad days. a pleasure to have you along as always. . . had a nice spin up to glencullen and down stocking lane (slippy as hell!) with jimm after we left you. cheers for the company. see you all next week for the next sunny saturday morning spin (there, i cursed it)

The_Claw wrote: »
    I'll try and make this if the weather isn't too apocalyptic

oh and... The Claw, i know im no one to be criticising a professional author like yourself, but what does it say in your dictionary for apocalyptic? :D... hope the weather is apocalyptic again next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Think i might of passed a few straglers from the boards spin on the way back over the featherbeds heading towards stocken lane , cube bike and boards leggens, they where dying when we passed them ... just messing !!! haha

Just in. Enjoy Slaughter Hill tomorrow, it's "cool".

First few drops of rain starting.

7 out this morning. Not bad. Lads stopped in Enniskerry on the way back for "cafe avec les dames" no doubt. I carried on. Joker77 went down to Laragh to inflict more punishment on himself, well done. Could be gone for a coffee and spliff as an excuse, who knows.

I was bad up Slaughter Hill and my excuse was that, and it was the first thing I did when I got in, was to weigh my winter chariot. (as an excuse of course :))
    26lbs 5oz. = 12 kilos exactly. Big difference going uphill alright compared to my race bike. Those bloody Schwalbe tyres at 590grs each is the culprit mainly.
    Ah well, what doesn't kill ya etc etc.
    Coffee and a spliff, ha ha

Enjoyed that today lads - cheers

Went down to Laragh for a bowl of goulash and a double espresso, then back over Sally Gap. Total 97kms, feeling it now. Time for a bath!

Hopefully be back out again next Saturday, enjoy the rugby later

• Advertisement

Sounds like you had a perfect morning for it.

8 tomorrow under the Luas Bridge tomorrow for the same route. Me, Gasco and manwithaplan. g0g - why not come along if you are out. Can't speak for manwithaplan but myself and Gasco are very easy to keep up with :D

Very nice bike Mahoo. Pinarello in Team Sky colours. Looks the biz. I'd say you enjoyed that spin!

Is MVT the artist formerly known as emty? Think so. When did you change? Must be recently?
    Was confused.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Yep super spin lads. Sun sparkling off the water on the Vartry Reservoir - makes up for the pain of getting out of bed and slogging into the gear. Sorry for having to peg it on straight home, but the dinner at the outlaws' was worth the extra effort. See yiz next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Sounds like you had a perfect morning for it.

8 tomorrow under the Luas Bridge tomorrow for the same route. Me, Gasco and manwithaplan. g0g - why not come along if you are out. Can't speak for manwithaplan but myself and Gasco are very easy to keep up with :D

thanks Daragh, won't make it tomorrow as am away, but hopefully sometime soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

mahoo wrote: »
    oh and... The Claw, i know im no one to be criticising a professional author like yourself, but what does it say in your dictionary for apocalyptic? :D... hope the weather is apocalyptic again next week

Got up at half ten and was astonished by the amazing weather. Probably the last good morning of the year, sorry to miss it! Not to mention the Pinarello's first outing. Next time!

• Advertisement

Yep - weather was great apart from one shower. Daragh was great company and we were well matched ability-wise. Enjoyed it a lot and hope to do it again soon. With the cycle out from the de nortside and back, I did about 95 km.

Yep - weather was great apart from one shower. Daragh was great company and we were well matched ability-wise. Enjoyed it a lot and hope to do it again soon. With the cycle out from the de nortside and back, I did about 95 km.

Was a good spin. Thanks for coming out so early.

I struggled a bit more than usual on Slaughter Hill. Putting that down to the wine the night before and trying to keep up with manwithaplan. On the plus side my Jedi tricks are now working and I managed to turn at least 2 lights green through my masterful use of the Force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Slaughter Hill, where's that? nothing coming up on Google maps.

Newtownmountkennedy coming from Dublin, into village, turn right directly after Church, 20yds, turn left and up.........come to a crossroads a bit further and hang right......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c_7fRq_19s

For me it's an epic, soul sapping climb in the wilds beyond Greystones.

For everyone else it seems to be that minor incline between Newtownmountkennedy and Roundwood.

• Advertisement

wtf is this madness? whatever it is I want a go!

For me it's an epic, soul sapping climb in the wilds beyond Greystones.

For everyone else it seems to be that minor incline between Newtownmountkennedy and Roundwood.

Think I know the one, haven't done it in a while but don't recall it being minor at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

mahoo wrote: »
    no worries taxman. we all have our bad days. a pleasure to have you along as always. . . had a nice spin up to glencullen Glencree and down stocking lane (slippy as hell!) with jimm after we left you. cheers for the company. see you all next week for the next sunny saturday morning spin (there, i cursed it)

Just posting now on Sat. spin. Good to see some familiar faces and a few new ones. Enjoyed that, thanks lads, great route PX....Slaughter Hill takes no prisoners yet again :eek:...104km for me.

Advertisement