Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 now widely available in Mayo

Options
  • 03-11-2010 8:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

After some typical penny pinching TV3 fannying around they finally started to supply the correct feed to RTE and TV3 is now widely available in Mayo...beyond bits of the south and north east of the county that always had it.

The only schnag is that is is Digital only :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    After some typical penny pinching TV3 fannying around they finally started to supply the correct feed to RTE and TV3 is now widely available in Mayo...beyond bits of the south and north east of the county that always had it.

The only schnag is that is is Digital only :)

Thanks for the warning:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks for the warning:D

Course most of it comes from ITV1 so if you have that on Satellite you are missing feck all bar the odd movie and Vincent Browne :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

The digital picture is brilliant... Its terrible that the older tellies don't do digital..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

artieanna wrote: »
    The digital picture is brilliant... Its terrible that the older tellies don't do digital..
    i have a sony bravia how do i go about getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

you just have to scan on the digital tuner (if fitted).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    i have a sony bravia how do i go about getting it?

Depends on what model has it.

Does it have an inbuilt digital tuner? If it does then the next step is to find out if its a MPEG2 or MPEG4
    MPEG 2 is UK and won't show the picture will give sound.
    MPEG 4 is IRE and you need this.

Any idea of the Bravia model?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've been using this digital trial for 6 months, the picture quality is miles better than on satellite and of course its preparing for some programs on RTE in HD. Next year hopefully the All-Ireland, Rugby and Champions League will be in HD on RTE (Sky will only have RTE in SD) as all sporting events are recorded in HD and downscaled. The World Cup was actually received in HD and downscaled.

If Your TV doesn't have an Mpeg4 decoder You'll have to buy a set top box, these haven't been officially announced yet and those that are available are pricey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If one has a HD telly but it will not pick up Irish Channels ( coz it was bought in Enniskillen or indeed Aldi or Lidl in Mayo ) then one must buy a decoder box ...if not now then in 2 years when the analogue signal is pulled.

If one has an old Sky box or a cheap free to air satellite one does not have HD either.

Therefore a combi box would be nice. It will pick up SD and HD RTE AND SD and HD Satellite and will feed them to the TV HD style over the HDMI cable.

It will usually record TV programs on Large capacity 16GB+ USB sticks too, eg if watching Terrestrial it will record satellite OR vice versa.

There is a special boards thread on HD Combi Boxes UNDER €200 here , keep an eye on it. The Edision is quite popular in Ireland because it is tried and trusted.

Advertisement