Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apatosaurus could run on two legs!

• 03-11-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Well, baby ones anyway - possibly.
    Surprising to Mossbrucker and colleagues is that the running trackway demonstrates only hindpaw tracks. "Perhaps while the little dinosaur was running the hindpaw eclipsed and crushed the frontpaw track leaving no trace, or perhaps this critter was running only on its hind paws," Mossbrucker said. The walking-gait tracks do show a forepaw track"

"In the end, we might have a baby sauropod that is running like a Basilisk lizard, a modern lizard that is mostly a quadroped, but when spooked it runs on its hindlegs," Mossbruker said.

Studies are underway to understand the biomechanics of Morrison's sauropods and what a running baby sauropod would look like.

More here.

liz2.jpg
    (a modern day basilisk lizard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

I read about this ages ago. It's crazy stuff! Being so used to elephantine, rather rigid sauropods I find it difficult to imagine the babies running like a basilisk, especially because they were built differently... I really want to draw this but I don´t even know what a baby Apatosaurus looked like! Anyone has any references?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not sure how to say this and still be macho, so I won't try.

The image of little sauropods running on hind legs with their little front legs out for a hug is an image I find very endearing. Couldn't you just hug the little ones? Of course any big ones would totally ignore you and ruin the day by stamping all over your head.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Adam Khor wrote: »
    I really want to draw this but I don´t even know what a baby Apatosaurus looked like! Anyone has any references?

OMNOMNOM.jpg

Galvasean wrote: »
    OMNOMNOM.jpg

Not being picky here but those teeth look wrong for a little Bronty.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've always contested that Littlefoot looks more like a Camarasaurus...

• Advertisement

A carnivorous sauropod? What did it eat? Anything it wanted to!:D

(Provided it didn't run very fast that is.)

Somehow the idea of them being endearing has just lost it's magic:D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

any chance it was floating and pushing off the bottom with just one pair of feet ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

any chance it was floating and pushing off the bottom with just one pair of feet ? :pac:

Pipe down, you.

Advertisement