Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Pots needed!

Options
  • 03-11-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Evening All!

I am looking to purchase big pots for planting trees such as bamboos.

They will be outside on a patio.

Any links/names etc....of places I can purchase them?

I am finding really difficult to find pots big enough. I have been to numerous garden centers.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Evening All!

I am looking to purchase big pots for planting trees such as bamboos.

They will be outside on a patio.

Any links/names etc....of places I can purchase them?

I am finding really difficult to find pots big enough. I have been to numerous garden centers.

Thanks in advance.

Tulleys Nurseries and Garden Centre out near Ballyboghal.

http://www.tullynurseries.ie/LOCATION/LOCATION.10.html

Orchard Garden Centre and Home Decor out near Lucan/Celbridge area.

http://www.theorchard.ie/

Ikea in Ballymun are also curently selling very large,and I mean very large,plant/tree pots at the moment too.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/store/dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a dwarf black stemmed bamboo in a large pot for about 5 years and it did absolutely nothing. I moved it into the garden and its growing away happily. I don't know if this is typical, I thought bamboo would grow in a pot, but in this case, evidently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen huge pots in Hosfords garden centre, and reasonably big ones in Dunnes stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

Hey!

Many thanks for all the replies.

I must look into the Bamboo's not growing in pots!

I basically want them as a privacy screen so unfortunately unable to plant them into the soil!

Will have to investigate that further.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

Have a nice weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Hey!

Many thanks for all the replies.

I must look into the Bamboo's not growing in pots!

I basically want them as a privacy screen so unfortunately unable to plant them into the soil!

Will have to investigate that further.

Many thanks again for all your suggestions.

Have a nice weekend!

It would be unusual for Bamboo not to grow well in Pots/Planters. The black stemmed Bamboo are relatively slow growing but like many Bamboo require regular watering to develop. Other factors which might explain poor performance is container too small (causing rootbound) or in positioned in an exposed location. Be careful when selecting planters/pots as Bamboo roots are extremely strong and well capable of buckling/bursting many planters.

What size plants/planters do you plan on using? There are better perfoming Bamboos besides black stemmed varieties for screening purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Bamboo's grow fine in pots. I've potted hundreds over the years in gardens. I actually prefare them in pots. You can really bring out the lovely lines of a bamboo when you get a pot that suits well. Just keep an eye on the watering/feeding, like any plant in a pot.

Id say the person who had a bamboo which did nothing in a big pot had it in a pot that was just too big. The plant put more energy into growing roots than leaf. Thats a common problem.

If you're looking for a nice pot that will bring out the lovely lines of the bamboo id recommend Formality garden design in Glasthule (01) 2808071. Might be a bit pricey, but they can source some beautiful pots. If its just screening your concerned with then id go with one of the suggestions above. Or try murphy and woods in Cabinteely (01) 2854855

Advertisement