Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some beginners questions

Options
  • 03-11-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

My xbox dvd drive died a while back so I thought that I would just replace it but will admit that I didn't do enough research. I don't really know that much about hardware. I read somewhere on how the distinguish between the drives but it was wrong and I ended up getting the wrong drive. I wanted to replace like for like so i ordered a benq when I actually had a lite-on with the 74850C firmware. I also got a SATA to usb connector to connect it to my laptop.

What I want to know is will it be possible/easy to flash the new drive and spoof it if necessary. Also I was under the illusion that if all you did was replace the drive with the same one you were safe for Live. is that true? May have bit of a bit more than I can chew with this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Every console has a DVD key that it expects whatever drive is in that console to have. Every DVD drive has a place to store the key. Every console also has an OSIG identifier, that is an identifier it expects the DVD drive to announce itself as.

If you put in a DVD drive with the wrong key, the DVD drive will not play any games - even originals. The console will also record this as a "Please, check this out Microsoft, something's not quite right here" flag.

If the OSIG data is wrong (e.g. the console queries the drive and expects a response of TSST-corp MS28 [Samsung] and gets PLDG 7485 [LiteOn 74850C]) it won't play any games either and will raise similar flags for checking.

The only way to spoof your console OSIG data is using cracked firmware. This firmware should never be used on Live, it isn't "safe" no matter how many times you get away with it. We all know why it's not safe, I'm not going to spell it out ;)

Now had you bought the right drive model (e.g any liteOn drive model) you could use the original microsoft firmware and just pop your key into it. LiteOn drives are all the same hardware, so as long as you flash the 74850C firmware to it, the LiteOn will think it's a 74850 with no spoofing required even if the sticker says it's 93450 or an 83850).

All of this assumes that your original LiteOn can still power on or at some earlier stage you retrieved the key from it. If the drive is fully dead and you can't get the key and you don't have the key then your console is now a paperweight.

Incidentally, how is the original drive dead? Was it not reading game discs or something? Laser pot tweaking or replacements are another avenue to explore before buying a new drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

So are you saying that if I get a Lite-on drive I will then be able to use live with my console? On a completely unrelated subject does anybody want to buy a brand new benq drive? :)

My drive being completely dead was probably an exaggeration. It just can't read disks anymore. I know it is probably just needs a new laser but soldering is definitely out of my league.

Yes, you can put your original DVD key into stock firmware on a LiteOn drive and it should be safe for Live :)

A new laser is not a soldering fix, it's a few ribbon cables.

But first you should try to pot-tweak the laser. You twist a "screw" on the laser a little bit, put it back together and try to read a disc. If it doesn't work, open it again and turn the screw another little bit.

All you need is a screwdriver and a digital multimeter (to make sure you don't turn the screw too much and blow your laser entirely). Google how to do it :)

Thanks for the advice. I will give that pot tweak a go when I can get my hands on a multimeter. I wished I had come on here before ordering a drive I can't use. At least I will probably have a use for the SATA to usb adaptor I bought too.

Thanks

The SATA to USB converter is hit and miss, but you might get lucky and it might work with Jungleflasher. That said, you don't need Jungleflasher or the USB/SATA adapter if the pot-tweak works, you can keep your original DVD drive. If the pot tweaking doesn't work, I'll take the LiteOn off your hands for a few bob. I can always use a drive for parts :)

Also, return the BenQ to where you bought it from and recoup some of your money. Or try sell it on adverts.ie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

How much do you want for the Benq, im in the market for a drive!

I paid €17 for it so how about I round that off to €15?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

To the best of my knowledge the sata to usb only works with the Hitachi drives.u never no though it could work.

Advertisement