Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin crime statistics

Options
  • 03-11-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i saw a thread here a while back where people mentioned burglary rates reported by garda station. are those available online? i know cso.ie has crime stats but they are broken down by garda regional division, not individual stations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Dublin sucks as it's seen, even if you calculate it per number of residents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

That Tribune report is complete rubbish.
    Gardai do not blame joblessness on crime figures. This is the usual a ' Garda source' nonsense.

Crime statistics are not released on a station or district basis. There is an argument that they should be freely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 goluck

for crime stats to be of any sort of meaning to us citizens, we need them broken down by residential neighborhood (such as Rathmines, Irishtown, Glasnevin etc.) and be quoted as incidents of crime in relation to population, say 100 crimes per 1000 people. otherwise, quoting crime figures by garda division or by garda station without specifying what area and population they are responsible for is kind of useless and doesn't allow us to do a proper comparison when looking to live in a certain area versus another.

Sure, looking at the change in figures from year to year gives us some indication of change in crime but doesn't tell you anything as to whether neighborhood X is safer than Y, even if X had a 10% reduction in crime this year as opposed to Y.

is there no way to get this sort of data? someone in a different thread mentioned you might need to pay to get this data?! I thought we already pay enough taxes to have this kind of information publicly available!!

Advertisement