Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolton saturday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

very tough game here after the delight on wed night. they should have gotten at least a point against the pool in my opinion and will be hard to beat.

1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

From the Glory of playing Inter to the humdrum of Bolton. Nonetheless, this is a must win game. We need to keep on the coattails of City, ManU etc...

What about giving Krunchie a run out and resting VDV?

Eamo71 wrote: »
    From the Glory of playing Inter to the humdrum of Bolton. Nonetheless, this is a must win game. We need to keep on the coattails of City, ManU etc...

What about giving Krunchie a run out and resting VDV?

this is the hardest part - coming back down to earth and winning an away game against lesser opposition a few days after the greatest night of a players life.

vdv doesnt need a rest id say, he rarely does 90 mins and we dont have champs league for 3 weeks again. if i was going to rest anyone it would be bale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't see us getting anything out of this TBH with Wednesday last. I'd be happy with a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

3 big league games in the next week.
    7 points would probably be a good return in fairness.
    Sat is a difficult one, do you change a few, get turned over and everyone saying why did he change it, or keep mainly the same side and take the risk.

I think it will be mainly the same side. Expect crouch to play to combat davies and co at set-pieces. If VDV is fit, he has to play an hour anyway. Maybe play Niko on the right and get him tucking in at times to keep things tight in the middle. Or if vdv is not fit, play Niko, and go 433 with Bale and Lennon wide of Crouch.

Decisions, Decisions, Thats why Harry & Co are paid so well I suppose...

COYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We really need three points our European adventure has masked our poor start which is dissapointing we need to step it up now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We really need three points our European adventure has masked our poor start which is dissapointing we need to step it up now.

I don't think it's fair to say it's been a poor start. We are sitting in 5th, and only 5 points behind second\third. Yes, we've had our bad results, but other then Chelsea, everyone has.

I agree that we need the win though, and we need to become more consistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

i would agree with resting bale

i think he has played every minute this season and lord knows how many miles he covers in a game

i know he is young but has had his injury problems and we shouldnt wait for the next one to happen

i'd bring palacios in for him to bring some bite to the middle and let luka and azza cover the wide areas

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Ormus wrote: »
    i would agree with resting bale

i think he has played every minute this season and lord knows how many miles he covers in a game

i know he is young but has had his injury problems and we shouldnt wait for the next one to happen

i'd bring palacios in for him to bring some bite to the middle and let luka and azza cover the wide areas

Are you Wilson's Da in disguise? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Well we know they're going to go with 5 across the middle, so it'll be very tight. They also have some very good defenders, so lumping it long won't work. I think we need a bit of guild in the middle, so I'd have Luka and Thudd, along with either Jenas or Wilson. I'd stick Niko and Lennon on the wings, and bring Bale on with 30 minutes to go if we've not broken them down. Crouch up front to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Always a dam tough gamer against Bolton - would be great to get a win .. any news on the return of Dawson or Defoe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Anto12 wrote: »
    Always a dam tough gamer against Bolton - would be great to get a win .. any news on the return of Dawson or Defoe ?

Defoe hopes to be back for the Arsenal game.

I think they're gonna be starting with Elmander and Davies, both players in good form at the moment...

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Are you Wilson's Da in disguise? ;)

his ma actually

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Just read on the Spurs website that the last time we won at Bolton was 1996 :eek::eek: - lloks like were gonna be in for another rough afternoon ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Anto12 wrote: »
    Just read on the Spurs website that the last time we won at Bolton was 1996 :eek::eek: - lloks like were gonna be in for another rough afternoon ..

that's true in the league
    won there in the league cup in 2004/05 (4-3 AET I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I agree. Our performances immediately before and immediately after a Champions League game has not been good. In a lot of the PL games we have either lost or drawn.

When you look at the dropped points against Wigan, West Brom, West Ham and Everton. With the possible exception of Everton, none of those teams are going to be challenging for european football come the end of the season, so losses or draws are dropped points as far as I am concerned.

Bolton has been a bad hunting ground for us for many seasons now. IMO mainly because of the physical aerial style that they play, which our lads tend to bottle against. Under Coyle, they do play a little bit more football than previously, but in saying that, they can still mix it up, depending on the opposition.

I expect them to get right in our face from the word go, so I would definitely start with Palacios. I'd also start Krancar on the left and keep Bale on the bench. If needed he could come on for the 2nd half. Up front I'd go with Crouch (with Pav as sub replacement). Not sure if VDV will feature in this one. Have a feeling Harry will rest him for this one. Wouldn't be surprised to see Robbie get a start.

My head says we'll get a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

If we start with the same attitude as we did against inter we'll beat them but if we go out thinking we have already won it then we'll be in trouble,
    I'm saying 0-0.I'm leaving in an hour to the airport.going sea fishing tonight in liverpool with the brother then up to the game.

hopefully we line up as

gomes
    hutton
    gallas
    kaboul
    assou-ekotto
    sandro
    palacios
    lennon
    modric
    kranjcar
    keane

subs:
    bale
    vdv
    crouch
    huddlestone
    corluka
    bassong
    cudicini

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Niko is available and on form. Gotta give him a run out I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Kold wrote: »
    Niko is available and on form. Gotta give him a run out I think.

Agreed, otherwise we could well see him looking for a way out come the transfer window, which would be an awful shame.

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Agreed, otherwise we could well see him looking for a way out come the transfer window, which would be an awful shame.

as usual people on this forum are calling for someone to be given a "chance"

niko is a grand player but goes missing a lot. harry would play him if he thought he would do a better job that what we have

mickman wrote: »
    as usual people on this forum are calling for someone to be given a "chance"

niko is a grand player but goes missing a lot. harry would play him if he thought he would do a better job that what we have

i don't think anyone is saying he should be a first choice......just that he is too good a player to have played so little this season......much better player than dos santos imo

Ormus wrote: »
    i don't think anyone is saying he should be a first choice......just that he is too good a player to have played so little this season......much better player than dos santos imo

i doubt dos santos will ever again get a place in the squad. he obviously hasnt changed his ways and will be pushed out in jan

mickman wrote: »
    i doubt dos santos will ever again get a place in the squad. he obviously hasnt changed his ways and will be pushed out in jan

yeah last time i saw him was against arsenal in the carling cup.....not sure if he touched the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I would go with a similar line-up to the Inter game. 2 of Huddlestone, Jenas, Palacios in CM with Modric further forward, although I wouldn't mind Modric deeper with Niko in the whole. Modric looked wrecked towards the end the other night so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him rested.

Lennon could be the key in this game. With so much attention on Bale he should have a bit more freedom on the opposite flank. He has looked a lot sharper in recent weeks, much closer to his form of a year ago. His end product is not what it was this time last year but I reckon he will catch fore soon. Tomorrow could be the day!

Gomes
    Hutton --- Gallas --- Kaboul
    BAE
    Hudd/Wilson -- Jenas
    Lennon
    Modric/Niko
    Bale
    3m Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Lennon doubtful so I'd expect kranjcar and dos santos to be in with a chance of starting

Lennon doubtful so I'd expect kranjcar and dos santos to be in with a chance of starting

really? damn....i agree he was getting back to his best form and was hopeful this would be the game for him......no way will dos santos start.....kranjcar maybe......or modric on the right.....or jenas

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

Sandro maybe?

• Advertisement

Vdv defo out so may play two up top

Modric may play on the right and jenas in centre with Tom. I hope he plays one up front and Luca in the hole cos he is playing really well and his shooting has improved dramatically

Advertisement