Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolton saturday

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    eh i don't think you understood what i said

personally i think we are doing great

other people seem to be judging us by the standard of a top team, which we are obviously not......so by that standard we are crap....there is no shame in it....we just aren't there yet....no joke

I fully understand.
    On one hand, you said it is the best squad we have had in a long time, yet when you compare us to Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd, we are crap..

I cant but disagree. Yes we lack certain things which I have mentioned, but we certainly aint crap. The same side (bar 1 or 2) finished 4th last season remember.

I know we are not 'there' yet, but should we not aspire to get there and be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I fully understand.
    On one hand, you said it is the best squad we have had in a long time, yet when you compare us to Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd, we are crap..

I cant but disagree. Yes we lack certain things which I have mentioned, but we certainly aint crap. The same side (bar 1 or 2) finished 4th last season remember.

I know we are not 'there' yet, but should we not aspire to get there and be positive.

you really don't understand

by our normal standards we are great

by the standards of united and chelsea standards we are not great at all

yes we finished 4th, a great achievement for us.....would 4th be a great achievement for united/chelsea?.....were we at any stage, by any stretch of the imagination, involved in the title race?

of course we should aspire to get there......i would give my left testicle for us to be there and will cheer us all the way

but i'm not gonna pretend we are at that standard and give out when we fail to beat bolton 4 days after beating inter.....at the moment we are always gonna be prone to the odd lethargic performance, annoying as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Ormus wrote: »
    you really don't understand

by our normal standards we are great

by the standards of united and chelsea standards we are not great at all

yes we finished 4th, a great achievement for us.....would 4th be a great achievement for united/chelsea?.....were we at any stage, by any stretch of the imagination, involved in the title race?

of course we should aspire to get there......i would give my left testicle for us to be there and will cheer us all the way

but i'm not gonna pretend we are at that standard and give out when we fail to beat bolton 4 days after beating inter.....at the moment we are always gonna be prone to the odd lethargic performance, annoying as it is

OK Then, i dont :rolleyes:

You say-By ourstandards, we are great.
    By the standards of Man Utd and Chelsea, we are crap. - I dont care about the standards of them, I only worry about Spurs.

Obviously finishing 4th for them 2 would not be an achievment, have you not noticed there success over the last few years ?

Who mentioned we were involved in the title race.. I didn't.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    OK Then, i dont :rolleyes:

You say-By ourstandards, we are great.
    By the standards of Man Utd and Chelsea, we are crap. - I dont care about the standards of them, I only worry about Spurs.

Obviously finishing 4th for them 2 would not be an achievment, have you not noticed there success over the last few years ?

Who mentioned we were involved in the title race.. I didn't.

anyway.....go spurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

My two pence worth is that we are missing our best player from last season, Mr. Dawson.
    Sorely missed. I think Kaboul is a good player but I'm afraid he needs a leader beside him and that isn't Gallas. He seems to ball watch all the time. If you think back to the Fulham game, Dempsey was being dealt with, but Gallas ran out to tackle him also. Ball gets squared and Kamara gets a tap in. Where was he or Kaboul when Davies scored (Offside!)?
    We have plenty of cover in midfield so I would play Thudd and Kaboul at centre half until the boys are back.
    In saying that there were countless bad first touches and needless loss of the ball by a lot of players.
    I like Sandro's guile but he needs to improve his touch and positioning.
    I think this is the kick in the back side we needed after a CL game.
    I also think Pav needs more game time. He got us so many important goals in the second half of last season.
    I think we will see a better display tomorrow.
    COYS

• Advertisement

yidweiser wrote: »
    My two pence worth is that we are missing our best player from last season, Mr. Dawson.
    Sorely missed. I think Kaboul is a good player but I'm afraid he needs a leader beside him and that isn't Gallas. He seems to ball watch all the time. If you think back to the Fulham game, Dempsey was being dealt with, but Gallas ran out to tackle him also. Ball gets squared and Kamara gets a tap in. Where was he or Kaboul when Davies scored (Offside!)?
    We have plenty of cover in midfield so I would play Thudd and Kaboul at centre half until the boys are back.
    In saying that there were countless bad first touches and needless loss of the ball by a lot of players.
    I like Sandro's guile but he needs to improve his touch and positioning.
    I think this is the kick in the back side we needed after a CL game.
    I also think Pav needs more game time. He got us so many important goals in the second half of last season.
    I think we will see a better display tomorrow.
    COYS

sorry yidweiser but i think there would be pandemonium with thudd and kaboul at the back.....kaboul needs experience beside him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,726 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

On reflection I think a few issues contributed to our loss on Saturday:

Playing 4-5-1 without Lennon and particularly van der Vaart was a poor move. Crouch had very little support, bar Bale on occasion. Modric is not suited to playing in a no. 10 role, he is much better playing deeper.

The 3 outfield players who came in were 3 of our worst players on the day. Surely Kranjcar should have been busting a gut to impress and stake his claim for a regular spot in the line-up?

We are badly missing Defoe. He gives us something totally different to our other strikers. At the other end of the pitch Dawson has been missed too, we need some stability at CB and a Dawson-Kaboul partnership looks the most promising in the medium-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

vs Bolton last week is the worst we have been since Redknapp took control. Yes we were hovering around 5th place until recently, but that was only because Everton/villa/liverppol made such bad starts. If you look at todays table we are closer to the bottom then we are to the top (on points not placings). Yes the CL results have been great but they don't hide the fact that we've been crap against half the teams we've played in the league this season.

vs Bolton last week is the worst we have been since Redknapp took control. Yes we were hovering around 5th place until recently, but that was only because Everton/villa/liverppol made such bad starts. If you look at todays table we are closer to the bottom then we are to the top (on points not placings). Yes the CL results have been great but they don't hide the fact that we've been crap against half the teams we've played in the league this season.

we have been way worse than last week......we have been beaten by teams like stoke, wolves and young boys.....bolton are a tough team at the reebok

we are an inconsistent team....this is not an unusual season for us

hopefully we can get 3 points tonight.....wish lennon was fit

Yeah, but we could have lost 6-2 we were that bad.

Thank god for our home form because we're pants on the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

vs Bolton last week is the worst we have been since Redknapp took control

I think away against Sunderland last season was the worst we ever played.

Aye - we were woeful that game alright

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Sorry Ormus but as far as I know Thudd was a Centre half at Derby and he has played there for us there before when we needed him..... and boy we need him there now! Gallas is a liability.

yidweiser wrote: »
    Sorry Ormus but as far as I know Thudd was a Centre half at Derby and he has played there for us there before when we needed him..... and boy we need him there now! Gallas is a liability.

yep thudd played there for derby and has played there about twice in the last 3 seasons

i like thudd but i sometimes worry he is too slow for central midfield......he is definitely too slow for centre half

take it from me.....he will not be replacing gallas at centre half and, as long as 2 out of bassong, king, gallas, woodgate, dawson and kaboul remain fit, harry will not be crazy enough to even consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

I agree. Huddlestone is definitely not the answer in central defence. Kaboul and Bassong are decent defenders but are prone to switching off every so often. Hopefully Dawson will be ready to return soon.

And anyone know much about this South African bloke joining in January? Wonder will he be ready for some first team action? :rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Advertisement