Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's everybody doing so far?

• 03-11-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Have you been studying hard or how much have you done already?

I really want to get 545...

Advise?

My subjects are:
    IRISH (H)
    ENGLISH (H)
    MATHS (O)
    CHEMISTRY (H)
    GEOGRAPHY (H)
    FRENCH (H)
    BUSINESS ST (H)

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I'm doing all honours but might drop down in Irish.

I am stressing already. I thought I was doing ok but I'm not..! :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

All honours, maths, irish, english, chem, physics, biology, french, applied maths.

I have been doing a fair amount of study, but I am ****ing wrecked.

And I've a big maths test on Friday I'm really worried about because I can do the paper questions but I keep making all these ridiculous mistakes (like not adding right) which I'm hoping is just tiredness. :(

Does anyone want to explain exactly how you do adding and subtracting fractions that have x's or brackets on the bottom to me? I swear its like my algebra is like fantastic but my primary school maths is horrendous, and thats what kills you with the blunder -3s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Cross multiply to get a common factor under the line! Honours maths, English, French, accounting, economics, applied maths, physics and pass Irish here, long days every day =\

I have been doing a fair amount of study, but I am ****ing wrecked.

Stop this madness..! :O You're wrecked 2 months into 5th year, keep like this and you'll be burned out by next September, never mind June 2012!

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Stop this madness..! :O You're wrecked 2 months into 5th year, keep like this and you'll be burned out by next September, never mind June 2012!

Don't I just know it!! :( I was sick all mid-term though, lets pray it was down to that. That or I'm going to have to bring the study down to an hour a night for a while.

But with the fractions, for a question like part A of this

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2003/LC003ALP1EV.PDF

How did they get...any of that first bit? Like I said

6y(2x)+3(x(x+4y))
    2x(x(x+4y))

But thats wrong?

• Advertisement

Don't I just know it!! :( I was sick all mid-term though, lets pray it was down to that. That or I'm going to have to bring the study down to an hour a night for a while.
    In 5th year, an hour and a half including homework should suffice, unless you have tests coming up. In that case do an hour and a half and then your study as well for the test(s).

6y(2x)+3(x(x+4y))
    2x(x(x+4y))

But thats wrong?
    I always think of normal numerical fractions first and see what I'd do with them. Then I apply that to a algebraic fraction.

I don't know what the question is but when adding fractions, multiply the bottoms and then multiply the tops by the old opposite bottom..

(a/b) + (c/d) = ([ad + bc)/bd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Aiming for 550 and I feel as if I haven't near much anything at all ;(

All honours

Maths - Probably the only one I could honestly say i'm working hard on. Need to bring a C3 up to a B1 (Considering I got A/B through most of 5th year that's not impossible)

English - Looked over some of last year's poetry but still haven't looked at Hamlet. Besides that there isn't really much you can do in terms of study.

Irish - Urgh.... Really want to drop to pass. Just a nightmare of a subject.

Biology - Haven't done anything for it, then again it's probably my easiest subject so I amn't at all worried.

Chemistry - My favourite subject, still remember everything from 5th year and i'm just looking over this year's work every week or so.

Engineering - Written exam won't be that big of a worry. Practical exam might cause me some issues because our workshop tools are shockingly poor but all the same I think i'll manage. As for the project, i've already started fabricating it and have about 14 pages done on my portfolio.

French - Love / Hate relationship. Decent at written and reading and listening but horrendous at oral work. Need to get that up to speed well before the Mocks.

Business - Teaching myself but as it stands I think my only worry is the crazy marking scheme. Besides that, I should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Finally realized I cant coast in 6th year! :p

English - No complaints. I'm decent at it and with luck should do well

Irish - Maintining a hich C/low B average but doubt I can get much better. Essays are my downfall!

Maths - Desperate! Seriously considering dropping to pass!

Engineering - My easiest and favourite subject. Just need a stroke of inspiration with the project and I'll be grand

Art - So much to learn! Barely finished revising Irish art; moving onto Romanesque now

French - My only ordinary subjext and I'm finding it very easy compared to higher

Geography - Doing pretty well but cant remember ANY of India. What's the betting it comes up!

Biology - Teaching myself and getting through it ok. A lot of things to learn though but I'm expecting at least a C.

Hoping for 550 points with anything over that a very welcome bonus! :) Dont think my studys anywhere near where it should be!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

6y(2x)+3(x(x+4y))
    2x(x(x+4y))

But thats wrong?
    I'm probably wrong but maybe the x's cancel down..hmmm... not sure.. Edit Actually yep im pretty sure im right :pac:

As for me, im repeating and doing 7 honours. I haven't done that much really, a lot more than last year(but that wouldn't be hard :D). Facebook is too addictive for me! Just made a plan though and if I stick to it I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

english-not going great dont even remember what hapened in hamlet not to mind half the poems..got a C in the october tests
    irish-hard to tell we dont get much work to do managing Bs in the tests
    maths-favourite subject aimin for the A fingers crossed!
    french-the bane of my life..get so much work..struggling a bit but gettin Cs and Bs
    chemistry-no problems goin for the A
    physics-another favourite got B1 in october hoping to push that up a bit
    applied maths-my only pass subject just dropped back..so much easier!doing that outside school

got 510 in october tests..if i could get that in the real deal id be happy out! :)

• Advertisement

LOL I think I've got it, thanks everyone! I was getting worried all my maths abilities had suddenly fallen out of my head :P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

In 6th year going for medicine, tis' grand. I was all worried, stressed and a tad deranged in 5th year too but you really gotta chill out. Not gonna get too far if you're dead by next September. :P It's about small steps. That said, working in 5th year is totally paying off this year, revision this year is just a nice skim over stuff I already know. :)

Anywhooo, I'm doing honours everything except for Irish (pass Irish). Maths, Irish (OL), English, German, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

All Honours:
    Maths - I'm kind of lazy this year but it's getting better. Hoping for A1 :D
    English - I hate it! I'm getting c3's and d'1 ;( Although I know my stuff, can't get expression right
    DCG - My favourite Subject :D I nearly have my project done and I revised some stuff from last year. Getting A will be easy
    Home Ec - I didn't get a lower grade this year than A2. I'm studying it only about an hour each week
    Geography - Easy but I have to revise a bit more as I'm too lazy to study it so far :D
    French - I'm ready for my Oral but the written work still needs a lot of attention.

I'm hoping for about at least 530 points as I have to be realistic and that's enough for me anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Ah going for around 460.
    Although I'd love my 2nd choice too which is 400 :P

I've actually studied this week.
    I swore to myself after the midterm to stick to a study plan and hit the books lightly which is working :)

Oh yea, my subjects are Irish, Maths (O), French, English, Chemistry, Biology & Economics.

Ah sure, 'tis grand like. Won't stress myself out too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

I'm doing alright I think, not as good as i planned but i'll get back on track...I just find i don't have much time for study these nights as I have a lot of work given to me such as essays, exam questions..the only study im really doing week nights is what I've been given to learn for tests etc so bit worried about that.

I'm doing english, maths, irish, art, geog, business and french

honours everything except maths, my main worry at the moment is Irish, always seems to be the subject i hate to do,.need to work on my Grammer so i'll be able to right a good answer, I find it so hard to learn Irish off..uh it annoys me:rolleyes:

times flying by though, first term flew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Doing ok, aiming for 480 points. So much stress though, everyday i'm awake until very late, just one day id love to get 9 hours sleep before school...

And i'm not even studying, only about an hour every wednesday and thursday. Its the projects and essays... And I lose an hour and a half every evening from waiting around to be picked up from school. Tired every day to the point where im falling asleep in class like!

Gonna do wreck going out when im finished :P

Hope everyone else is getting on grand anyway :)

Ciano35 wrote: »
    And I lose an hour and a half every evening from waiting around to be picked up from school.

Can't you sit somewhere and do homework or walk to the library or do nightstudy...

An hour and a half is a lot of time to waste everyday!

Can't you sit somewhere and do homework or walk to the library or do nightstudy...

An hour and a half is a lot of time to waste everyday!

I cant, the school closes, no library nearby :(

Ciano35 wrote: »
    I cant, the school closes, no library nearby :(

That is ****e! Where do you wait? What if it's raining? Could you go to a friends house and do homework there?

That would really annoy me! Fair enough if you were at home doing nothing for an hour, that's your choice, but not having the choice! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Would ya go away with studying for the LC in 5th year!!just do ALL your homework an a bitta revision if you really want but don't even think of doing proper study.It's just stupid and WAY too early.By the time 6th year rolls around you'l actually have gone crazy.You can easily get 600 points and not have studied at all in 6th year.It's all down to your determination in 6th year.One thing I will say study for a good bit is your summer tests.If you do good in them it makes the start of 6th year a lot easier as all you'll have to do is refresh everything you learned in 5th year in september rather than learn it all from scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gant0 wrote: »
    You can easily get 600 points and not have studied at all in 6th year.
    Err....

Would ya go away with studying for the LC in 5th year!!just do ALL your homework an a bitta revision if you really want but don't even think of doing proper study.It's just stupid and WAY too early.By the time 6th year rolls around you'l actually have gone crazy.You can easily get 600 points and not have studied at all in 6th year.It's all down to your determination in 6th year.One thing I will say study for a good bit is your summer tests.If you do good in them it makes the start of 6th year a lot easier as all you'll have to do is refresh everything you learned in 5th year in september rather than learn it all from scratch.

Leaving Cert: You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've never had so little faith in our education system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Doing HL everything except maths & aiming for about 400 points.

Nearly halfway through the year and I've yet to do any study at all and have a tech project to do.....yeah I'm screwed :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

Maths: One of my favourites. Do really well in class tests but tend to forget how to do stuff after a while.. Need to keep on top of the revision for Christmas..

Irish: Never learnt an essay off by heart for Irish, and luckily it works for me. I tend to do better just knowing the poem or story and just writing.. Love aural. Haven't done a huge amount of oral yet.

English: I love writing, but strangely enough I'm not a huge fan of English. Love it sometimes though, but I'm not mad about poetry..

French: Tend to do well in this without alot of study. Growing to like it alot more this year..

Chemistry: Love it sometimes, and other times not so much. Really need to start learning stuff as we cover it in class. Haven't studied a bit of organic yet, and we've finished it in class..

Biology: Really love Biology for some reason, but we've a hell of alot of the course left to do. All As in class tests so far.

Business: So much learning, but I've got a really good teacher so fingers crossed for a good grade here. Need to keep up with the revision..

All higher level.. Sixth year isn't all that bad but I've found there's a lot more work than fifth year. We'll survive though.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Most of the courses I want to do are betweein 320 and 400 points but I want to aim higher. At the moment I'm doing all higher. My best subjects would be maths, business and Irish. Worst are english and physics. I'm thinking of dropping to pass physics:o

That is ****e! Where do you wait? What if it's raining? Could you go to a friends house and do homework there?

That would really annoy me! Fair enough if you were at home doing nothing for an hour, that's your choice, but not having the choice! :O

Yeh i go to a friends house sometimes, otherwise i go to the shop and get something to eat :( the days i do go to his house, its very hard to do homework, because he's not the type who studies, but is the type who likes modern warfare with friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

I'm doing fairly well i must say, i said i'd start studying from the start of the year and i am, nightstudy helps a lot too. i'm hoping for around 450 to cover my very first choice and then some but i won't be devastated if i don't get it there's loads of other courses i'd like to do that are lower down that don't require a lot of points. At this stage i'd say History is the bane of my life, horrible subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

I'm in 5th year, aiming for 550+ points but I keep changing my mind about what I want to do :o All honours except maths...
    Maths- Getting all A's so far but that's because I can actually do algebra and arithmetic. Just need to work hard to be less horrendous at geometry and trig whenever we start them. I freaking hate triangles...
    English- I don't feel like we've done an awful lot tbh. The only thing we've done proper essays and tests on is Kavanagh for poetry, and I just can't connect with his poems so I'm just having to make up opinions where I really don't have any. I know I'm good at it but my teacher is a ridiculously easy marker, and I'm afraid it's going to lull me into a false sense of security.
    Irish- Ugh. I don't understand the grammar- I probably never have, I hate having to basically learn off the book just so I can write about poems and I can barely talk about my hobbies, never mind write an essay on the problems of drugs in modern Ireland.
    French- I have a good teacher for the first time ever, which is good because I don't have to pretty much teach myself, like I did last year. She's so thorough we're moving really slowly though.
    Business- So much learning but I still like it, though I prefer doing more concrete stuff like laws rather than characteristics of entrepreneurs. I have no idea how the marking scheme works, just tell us how many points you're looking for ffs.
    History- LOVE. It's going to be loads of learning but I'm so interested I don't even care. Every teacher should be like my history teacher.
    Biology- Doing quite good, I find he body and things way more interesting than the cell stuff we've been doing though. Be grand.

90% sure I'm going to start teaching myself Economics so I don't have to rely on Irish for points....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

^I agree with you about the irish, i'm trying to work on my grammer a lot so I'm able to write about the poems and stuff without learning reems off, its not that i'm lazy i just find it really hard to learn irish...,normally i learn it and forget some and then it doesnt make sense because I can't translate exactly what I've learned into english,.uh i really want the honour in irish though, be so happy to get the c1!

don't mind business, its ok..the only thing that is a shambles is the marking scheme cause it changes all the time...how are we gona know how many points they want:rolleyes:

Advertisement