Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's everybody doing so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 neadycat

i want 500
    im so stressed
    i have some useless teachers and cant study o_O
    just got my home ec project done but spent so much time doing it i need to catch up so much
    gaaaah !!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm stressed as well. I'm upset about my maths test, which didn't go very well, and I was expecting to find it quite doable :(

My chemistry teacher is horrendous and there is nothing I can do about it. She can't explain anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

crayolastereo, hang in there! I had a really bad teacher last year too I know what it's like :(

Here's some resources off the top of my head. Keep at the book, exam papers and get the Rapid Revision if you're struggling, ties in well with the book. Know your experiments really well, they're guaranteed.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/

(has loads of videos)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndOwa5zET8Y

Keep at it, you CAN do it yourself. Don't be afraid to hand up extra work, maybe she can't explain things well but she's still a good source of help. At least, when I'd a bad teacher last year, as in she couldn't explain/control some of the class, she readily took extra exam paper questions and corrected them for me with how to add to them. Others whined and moaned, I stuck at it and got an A1. Hang in there and don't get burned out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

How long is everyone actually in school for each day????

Is 8.45am to 9.30pm too long,that's what my school is recommending we do including supervised school study,from the 5th January.There is also 1 hour 40 mins worth of breaks through the whole day!

Is this realistic does anyone do similar hours in school or will this just inevitabily drive me insane?:(

DaveMur1 wrote: »

Is 8.45am to 9.30pm too long,that's what my school is recommending we do including supervised school study,from the 5th January.There is also 1 hour 40 mins worth of breaks through the whole day!

Is this realistic does anyone do similar hours in school or will this just inevitabily drive me insane?:(

That is beyond insane. There is a place for work, but there is also a time for eating and enjoying yourself. In 6th year, I'd be home for half 4, have some lunch, study until 9. Thats enough. Not being home until 10 o'clock at night every day is madness.

@wahey: Those websites are great thanks so much :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Serious? It would find it ok(ish) if you had the normal school day and then study from 4-6, a break from 6-7 (with facilities to heat up food etc) and then study from 7-9.30pm...

In a way I wish my school had enough cop on to sort out proper study. We have 4-6 Mon-Fri but nothing on Saturday or anything!

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Serious? It would find it ok(ish) if you had the normal school day and then study from 4-6, a break from 6-7 (with facilities to heat up food etc) and then study from 7-9.30pm...

In a way I wish my school had enough cop on to sort out proper study. We have 4-6 Mon-Fri but nothing on Saturday or anything!

My school has supervised study but its really expensive and its not even on weekends or holidays.

My school has supervised study but its really expensive and its not even on weekends or holidays.

In fairness ours is not for profit and is about €150 till Christmas and then the same until June.. Not too bad..

But.. I really really want Saturday study because as some of ye may realize I have 0 motivation to do stuff at home!

We have spoken to the principal about it but I'll go back on Monday to her.. Hopefully get something sorted for after Christmas, our Christmas tests are in 3 weeks so not much point in having it after them!

The way you described is actually how it happens.
    8.45am to 3.50 school:
    4.00pm to 6.00pm study:
    6.00pm to 6.50pm break school has a catering company,restaurant and a library so food is ok easily accessible
    6.50pm to 9.30 pm study:
    40 mins commuting each way aswell to and from school!

Saturday study also done from 9am - 12pm, then gym and dining hall open from 12pm - 2pm and finally back to study from 2pm - 5pm !

In total it works out at just over 2 hours a week,is this realistic to commit to until june ??:confused:

8.45am to 3.50 school:
    4.00pm to 6.00pm study:
    6.00pm to 6.50pm break school has a catering company,restaurant and a library so food is ok easily accessible
    6.50pm to 9.30 pm study:

Saturday study also done from 9am - 12pm, then gym and dining hall open from 12pm - 2pm and finally back to study from 2pm - 5pm !

In total it works out at just over 2 hours a week,is this realistic to commit to until june ??:confused:

I would jump and the chance because I'm too lazy to do it at home! I have applied maths on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I'd only be doing 3 long days and 2 till 6. Until after Christmas I wouldn't do the 2-5 on Saturday, but would do it afterwards..

You are actually making me so jealous..! :O Where is your school..?! I'm moving..! :P

• Advertisement

OMG applied maths in the evening is killer. I get to four o'clock on the day and I'm like yay school is over and then its like no I have to find out when and where train A and train B will meet (why don't they say crash, it would be more exciting!) for the next 2 hours :(

How long did it take you to start getting the higher level questions from the papers right? I can do the ordinary level ones and the ones the teacher gives us pretty ok, but the HL ones are really hard. I've only gotten 1 or 2 right and they took ages.

OMG applied maths in the evening is killer. I get to four o'clock on the day and I'm like yay school is over and then its like no I have to find out when and where train A and train B will meet (why don't they say crash, it would be more exciting!) for the next 2 hours :(

How long did it take you to start getting the higher level questions from the papers right? I can do the ordinary level ones and the ones the teacher gives us pretty ok, but the HL ones are really hard. I've only gotten 1 or 2 right and they took ages.

I haven't tried doing them fully on my own yet, I have the notes with me. Our teacher tells us to use the worked example we did in class and do the same question a few times before the next lesson, apparently that will get us all A1s..! :P Won't really know how I'm getting on until he gives us a mock in it..! Plus I did a half assed job of it last year so this year I'm going to class on Tuesday for Leaving Cert stuff and then Thursday for 5th year stuff..!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

What's the name of your school?

sparagon wrote: »
    What's the name of your school?

I PMed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Sorry I just thought you were from same area as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

8.45am to 3.50 school:
    4.00pm to 6.00pm study:
    6.50pm to 9.30 pm study:

That is absolute insanity!
    studying is a good thing, if too little is done nothing will get done, if too much is done you will become exhausted physically and mentally which leads to a lot of work with little benefit
    i can see how your school wants you to do your best but i think that's verging on the irresponsible, not only would that drive anyone demented having to do that much work. It's also going to set up bad habits for later life, if working for over 12 hours a day on the weekdays and 8 hours at the weekends becomes a norm in secondary school you'll have no way of knowing how to strike any work-life balance when you're older. that is serious mind boggling stuff

I would jump and the chance because I'm too lazy to do it at home! I have applied maths on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I'd only be doing 3 long days and 2 till 6. Until after Christmas I wouldn't do the 2-5 on Saturday, but would do it afterwards..

You are actually making me so jealous..! :O Where is your school..?! I'm moving..! :P

Ye,I suppose it is fairly nice for the school to organise all that.

it's __ _______ _______ ,.

But like everywhere it has it's faults ,a few maths teachers & the schools carrier ,guidance counselor are truly shocking!

Applied maths seems like a nice short course,but I prefer doing business as an extra subject,much easier to just learn definitions than getting a good understanding of every chapter!

Ye,I suppose it is fairly nice for the school to organise all that.

it's _______________.

But like everywhere it has it's faults ,a few maths teachers & the schools carrier ,guidance counselor are truly shocking!

Applied maths seems like a nice short course,but I prefer doing business as an extra subject,much easier to just learn definitions than getting a good understanding of every chapter!

I do both Business and App. Maths (Business in school, App. Maths outside).

I don't have a ''theory mind'' so although I know my stuff, I amn't good at remembering exact wording and stuff..! :(

I do both Business and App. Maths (Business in school, App. Maths outside).

I don't have a ''theory mind'' so although I know my stuff, I amn't good at remembering exact wording and stuff..! :(

Ye,I can see how that could be a disadvantage in the leaving cert, as 90% of the subjects are basically a competition to see who can learn the most stuff off. How much points are you looking for to be doing this extra subject and others???

That is absolute insanity!
    studying is a good thing, if too little is done nothing will get done, if too much is done you will become exhausted physically and mentally which leads to a lot of work with little benefit
    i can see how your school wants you to do your best but i think that's verging on the irresponsible, not only would that drive anyone demented having to do that much work. It's also going to set up bad habits for later life, if working for over 12 hours a day on the weekdays and 8 hours at the weekends becomes a norm in secondary school you'll have no way of knowing how to strike any work-life balance when you're older. that is serious mind boggling stuff

I can see how this point is relevant to ,but really that is the pressure being placed on students by teachers , schools & parents.
    In total I estimated it at nearly 72 hours,of being in school between work and study ,this is also before any work is done at home.

• Advertisement

Ye,I can see how that could be a disadvantage in the leaving cert, as 90% of the subjects are basically a competition to see who can learn the most stuff off. How much points are you looking for to be doing this extra subject and others???

I'm aiming for 500, though I doubt I'll get it. My first choice is 550, but I know I haven't a chance of getting that!

I was originally doing App. Maths as a 8th subject but I dropped History mid September of LC, it gives me 5 free classes in school a week that I try and spend doing Applied Maths, doesn't always work out that way though.

I'm aiming for 500, though I doubt I'll get it. My first choice is 550, but I know I haven't a chance of getting that!

I was originally doing App. Maths as a 8th subject but I dropped History mid September of LC, it gives me 5 free classes in school a week that I try and spend doing Applied Maths, doesn't always work out that way though.
    500-550 is a high mark to aim for, very little room for error in any subject .
    Must be some sort of science related course?

Does anyone know any good maths(higher level) revision books?:confused:

500-550 is a high mark to aim for, very little room for error in any subject .
    Must be some sort of science related course?

Actuarial Finance..

I've yet to see a good math revision book! :( Rapid Revision would be the best from what I've seen, though it's by no means great! There are some notes my teacher got at an inservice a few years back. There by someone called 'Cammie' or something. Maybe ask your teacher about them.

Actuarial Finance..
    I've yet to see a good math revision book! :( Rapid Revision would be the best from what I've seen, though it's by no means great! There are some notes my teacher got at an inservice a few years back. There by someone called 'Cammie' or something. Maybe ask your teacher about them.

;Never heard of ''Cammie'' to be honest ,i'll look into it though.Pity there's no good revision books as it would really free up alot of time searching through book for examples and stuff.

Actuarial Finance does seem like a great course, with really high paying job oppurtunities.Think it's only offered in Dublin though,wouldn't really be interested in paying 8000 a year for accomodation meself.

;Never heard of ''Cammie'' to be honest, I'll look into it though.Pity there's no good revision books as it would really free up alot of time searching through book for examples and stuff.

Actuarial Finance does seem like a great course, with really high paying job opportunities.Think it's only offered in Dublin though,wouldn't really be interested in paying 8000 a year for accommodation meself.

The notes aren't published as such, they're just given to teachers at a conference thingy...

Yeah it's only available in DCU and UCD, I have applied through UCAS though. Heart set on Dublin but part of me wants to go to Queens or Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

In my opinion Revise Wise is the best if looking at different books. To be honest with you I prefer nor to buy any but go for a 2 days seminar in Dublin (They will also be held in Galway and Cork) in February as there are two best teachers and the notes that you get of them make you feel that all of the revision books are useless. I got lots of them for my Junior Cert and ended up with an easy A.

Paczini wrote: »
    In my opinion Revise Wise is the best if looking at different books. To be honest with you I prefer nor to buy any but go for a 2 days seminar in Dublin (They will also be held in Galway and Cork) in February as there are two best teachers and the notes that you get of them make you feel that all of the revision books are useless. I got lots of them for my Junior Cert and ended up with an easy A.

The problem I can already see with this is it's in feburary and more than likely at same time as my pre's(mocks).So even on the off chance it's the days before the pre's is it worth missing 2 days of study at such a time????

The problem I can already see with this is it's in feburary and more than likely at same time as my pre's(mocks).So even on the off chance it's the days before the pre's is it worth missing 2 days of study at such a time????
    This will be organised on two Saturdays it depends on a city.
    I will have my mocks in the very same time but it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Get your priorities straight, it's not worth missing something that you think would be beneficial to your actual LC results just so as to study for your mock.

• Advertisement

Get your priorities straight, it's not worth missing something that you think would be beneficial to your actual LC results just so as to study for your mock.
    Yeah I agree, You can catch up with your study some other day.
    These two teachers will be going through both papers, covering all of the topics and the notes are brilliant.

Advertisement