Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS and Printers

Options
  • 03-11-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Doing some work with HP JetAdmin to sort out our fleet of about 500 HP laserjets of varying ages and sizes and the thought just struck me, why do printers even need DNS settings? Why would they want to go out and about on the network or wider world? I understnad the need for scan to email or scan to folder etc but not sure whats the point in setting them all up with DNS entries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Because you're not tying up static IP addresses on your network plus you can reference the printers by their respective hostname rather than having to check IP addresses all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

We do use static IPs for each one, printers are always kept in the 200+ range of each subnet. Yeah I guess the hostname method would be a good idea of finding what IP they were using.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

DNS is always good for any networked device. Im guessing if you have 500 printers then you have in excess of 2500 PCs. Its very hard to keep track of who and what owns what an IP address.

DNS will just make it easier for you in the long run if you apply an worthwhile DNS name as you could quickly determine its room number, model, etc etc

If your worrying about security then apply DNS query ACLs to the printer zone.

Advertisement