Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi fuel stoves price differentials

Options
  • 03-11-2010 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I've been looking into a multi fuel stove for a large open plan living room. I don't need the boiler option. I believe I need something around 5-7KW output but I'm really confused at the price differentials out there. For example I can get a Dimplex WST5 Westcott 5 for €449 or I can get a Nestor Martin H23 for €1400 and I can't really see what I'm getting different for the money. Both are cast iron - both have airwash control. The Nestor Martin has Woodbox technology which sounds great from the brochure and salesman but is it really worth a grand more? I know that you get what you pay for but I'd like to be surer that the extra expense is actually giving me something I need. Can someone spell it out for me what the difference is?

I also like the idea of a hot plate on the stove as the area I live in (North Clare) suffers from poor ESB supply and it would be nice to have a means of boiling the kettle if the power goes again this winter. Has anyone any recommendations for a stove with this feature? I've seen the Nestor Martin Harmony II but again it's pretty pricey.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I've been looking into a multi fuel stove for a large open plan living room. I don't need the boiler option. I believe I need something around 5-7KW output but I'm really confused at the price differentials out there. For example I can get a Dimplex WST5 Westcott 5 for €449 or I can get a Nestor Martin H23 for €1400 and I can't really see what I'm getting different for the money. Both are cast iron - both have airwash control. The Nestor Martin has Woodbox technology which sounds great from the brochure and salesman but is it really worth a grand more? I know that you get what you pay for but I'd like to be surer that the extra expense is actually giving me something I need. Can someone spell it out for me what the difference is?

I also like the idea of a hot plate on the stove as the area I live in (North Clare) suffers from poor ESB supply and it would be nice to have a means of boiling the kettle if the power goes again this winter. Has anyone any recommendations for a stove with this feature? I've seen the Nestor Martin Harmony II but again it's pretty pricey.

Stovax Stoves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

not just that , but if you want the job done right yollhave to fork out another few hundred to re line your chimney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭guinness queen

I love and hate my Nestor Martin H23. I have it now 4 years, and I find it a hit and miss affair. You simply cannot put in your kindling light it and off it goes. It needs a lot of care and attention, and constantly watched. But when it goes good from the start it is a wonderful stove, The wood needs to be over one year old, mine always 2 years old. The shape of fire box precludes one from putting in large logs, that does not work. Therefore it needs constant attention. I think it is the new technology that makes it difficult. Mine also works very well with anthracite in fact all the doors need to be open, not able to keep that in overnight. The wood and turf brickettes are good not the night, and although it may almost go out, a couple of seconds in the morning and it is off again.
    So good and bad points. I am not sure if I would buy this model again, also not sure if it worth all that money. But I would buy a Nestor Martin or who ever makes them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whoops, forgot to note the original post date.

Yea cnoc bui I do understand all that, it took 3 or 4 men to lift all mine. I am just commenting for the price of it, I feel it should be easier to light and keep going. also the riddle device does not work as it is constantly bunged up with ash therefore cannot move. I also find the brass handle volcanic hot at times, and a couple of my family have burned their hands when I was not there to advise. I know there is a glove but they did not know that . I believe these are flaws.
    I am going to get a very thick piece of plastic tubing, not the flexible type and keep it on the handle when in use.

I do like it, but not sure if I would get this airtight model again.
    The reason I did not get the Jotul was because I wanted to have options, like anthracite coal, which the Nestor gives me. Perhaps we cannot have it all. Perhaps one of these years I might exchange it for a different make of model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I couldn't praise my Jotul enough. Pretty sure you can get a grate you put inside that allows it to burn coal. I just use wood and turf briquettes. The tip of the door handle is Bakelite. It can get hot enough to hurt if the stove is really going, but it won't damage you.

I must not have made myself clear, I do burn anthracite in it, it was so hot it damaged the grate just a little. But it is so hot you could sit outside, my only problem with the coal is that I and I mean I could not get to stay in all night, that is perhaps my fault and I did not persist,
    I can assure you if you grap this 'brass' handle at full throttle it would roast you, very dangerous and definitely a design fault, but as I said it does have a glove to open it.
    I bought another one a spanish one years ago Brompi and I do not like it at all I am going to get it out buy a very small Danish one.
    the model is Squirrel forget the maker.

Advertisement