Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avid BB5 Brake Help (Mechanical Discs)

• 03-11-2010 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Hopefully I can explain this right and someone can help! Having a lot of problems with rear brake. Bike is new enough to don't think pads are worn down. Even when I have brake fully on the rear wheel still moves, so it won't slow me down at all. Any ideas?

What I've done:
    1) Taken brake apart to clean it and put it back together
    2) Adjusted the knob on the spoke side to the right place
    3) Fiddled around with cable to brake lossening and tightening

Seems like no matter how tight it's set up the bl00dy wheel will still turn without much force when brake is on. Any ideas at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Contaminated disc or pads is the first thing that springs to mind.
    Have you used a spray lube or your chain, or anywhere near the bike recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Have used GT85 that I bought in Halford's on the chain a few times, but not in recent weeks.

The only other point that springs to mind is that last weekend for the first time I cycled down a very steep hill from Sugar Loaf to Glenview Hotel near Bray. I was non-stop on both brakes the whole way down the hill. Seems to be since then that it's not working. I was wondering at first if I'd worn the brakes out, but sure that sounds mad altogether as I haven't done much more than 1,000km on the bike yet!

If it's the case that brakes are contaminated, how does one go about decontaminating them, or do I need to buy yet more new things!!!!????:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Some people report success by sticking them in the oven, but a new set will be about 15 quid.
    Try cleaning the disc with IPA first though, and see if that makes a difference.

Might also be worth scrubbing them with a bit of emery paper to take off any surface crap and try them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Best thing to do would be to bring it to a shop and let a mechanic have a look. Do the brakes squeel when you pull the lever?
    Those brakes are a pain in the arse, with the ball joints on the calliper. Best thing to do is make sure the calliper is in line with the disc.
    Then you can turn the red disc to move the static pad intowards the disc, make the pad touch disc then back off until there is no rub.
    Adjust the cable on the moving side to move the pad close to disc but not touching.

GT85 is too light for a chain, its good for cables etc, but too thin to lube a chain. Always use the straw too , makes contamination less likely!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice! Am just gonna bring it into Halford's Blanch tomorrow given that I have one of them 1-year service thingies under the CTW scheme. Thanks for the tip on the GT85 - they told me it was good for everything!!!

I'd done some more googling for solutions and there were all sorts of mad ideas like using a torch to burn off whatever was contaminating them etc!

Probably should have researched the pros and cons of these brakes a bit more before buying the bike! No, the rear ones don't squeak or make any noise at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

g0g wrote: »
    Am just gonna bring it into Halford's Blanch tomorrow
    GT85 - they told me it was good for everything!!!

Uh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Thanks for the advice! Am just gonna bring it into Halford's Blanch tomorrow given that I have one of them 1-year service thingies under the CTW scheme. Thanks for the tip on the GT85 - they told me it was good for everything!!!

I'd done some more googling for solutions and there were all sorts of mad ideas like using a torch to burn off whatever was contaminating them etc!

Probably should have researched the pros and cons of these brakes a bit more before buying the bike! No, the rear ones don't squeak or make any noise at the moment.

Halfords can be hit and miss, but since its one of theirs let them do the work first and see what they say.

GT85 can be used in alot of places , it will lube a chain, but not very well or for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Those mad ideas on decontaminating the pads are less mad than you think: I boiled my pads and it made a massive difference. I also cleaned up the discs with a bit of meths. I had a similar issue to yours; I'd just been tearing the arse out of 'em on a week's MTB holiday and something wasn't right.

Advertisement