Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when did Scallions become "Spring onions"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm definite because I live in Australia. I buy them every week. I was going by what they are labeled in all the shops. Spring onions is the named used.
    What you find on web pages doesn't mean a whole lot.
    Well dismiss it if you want, but I think it is very relevant if there is a 50/50 split of the usage on australian websites. I think it is strange to be so definite when there are obviously mixed opinions/usages out there.

I could use similar logic and say I go to sit down fast food places here every week and conclude that the term used in Ireland is "fries" and not chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

dh0661 wrote: »
    NO NO NO - spring onions are straight and scallions have a bulb.

That's it - the young plants that grow in the spring, if harvested, are called spring onions.

If they are left to grow older and have a bulb, are called scallions.

Whats happens if you grow them in summer? Are they still spring onions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm definite because I live in Australia. ... What you find on web pages doesn't mean a whole lot.
    I have a tendency to be skeptical of "facts" issuing from colonials in the antipodes; they tend to have a rather upside-down view of the world ...

We on the other hand have a proper global perspective and know our onions. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

In my house, where my parents had spent many years in the UK, we called them spring onions. But in the shops down the village, I knew enough to ask for scallions.

The other food term that wrecks my head is the turnip/swede debate. Are we Irish the only nation on earth to call the large purple tuber "turnip"? Just to confuse things further, the Yanks call it rutabega, which to my ears doesn't even sound like a food...

In my house, where my parents had spent many years in the UK, we called them spring onions. But in the shops down the village, I knew enough to ask for scallions.

The other food term that wrecks my head is the turnip/swede debate. Are we Irish the only nation on earth to call the large purple tuber "turnip"? Just to confuse things further, the Yanks call it rutabega, which to my ears doesn't even sound like a food...

I come from a veg growing area of Ireland. We call them swede turnips. Using the term turnip covers every variety including the real tough varieties used for cattle feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The other food term that wrecks my head is the turnip/swede debate. Are we Irish the only nation on earth to call the large purple tuber "turnip"? Just to confuse things further, the Yanks call it rutabega,
    Perhaps you would be better off with the latin names, wiki shows they are 2 different things.
    rutabega (Brassica napobrassica) being a swede, and a turnip (Brassica rapa var. rapa) on its own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga
    a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip

You could say the same about "small orange colour citrus fruits", satsumas, mandarins, tangerines.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,424 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rubadub wrote: »
    Well dismiss it if you want, but I think it is very relevant if there is a 50/50 split of the usage on australian websites. I think it is strange to be so definite when there are obviously mixed opinions/usages out there.

I could use similar logic and say I go to sit down fast food places here every week and conclude that the term used in Ireland is "fries" and not chips.
    I'm just telling you want is on the labels in the shops. In general the "australian" population is quite anglicised, especially towards food and drink.
    But there is obviously a big immigrent population, people of irish descent will obvious be more likely to use scallion, the greeks something else etc

Actually, I can only really comment on NSW, australia is huge, but with low density and highly urbanised. So different words are used in different states, but its normally things like beers so I doubt it is the case, food are pretty universal from what I've seen. Worth mentioning though.

My reason for dismissign the website method was because a lot of the scallion links were "whats a scallion" which suggests that its an unknown term.
    Plus, a lot of recipies online, via forums, or glassy mag type sites, tend to be copy and past jobs. And also, people who write recipies, tend to be a little more rounded when it comes to food and often use "foriegn terms" to convey an impression, if you follow me.
    mathepac wrote: »
    I have a tendency to be skeptical of "facts" issuing from colonials in the antipodes; they tend to have a rather upside-down view of the world ...

We on the other hand have a proper global perspective and know our onions. :rolleyes:
    Whose this we?
    You do relise that I said I live in australia, not that I was australian.
    rubadub wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnip

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga
    a root vegetable that originated as a cross between the cabbage and the turnip

You could say the same about "small orange colour citrus fruits", satsumas, mandarins, tangerines.
    Funny that example was mentioned, there is defo two varietys sold here side by side, sligtly different colour. I think one is labelled turnip and the other swede (don't eat them so never take two much notice)

... Whose this we? ...
    Those of us (us referring to posters in this thread) who refer to scallions by their correct name
    ... You do relise that I said I live in australia, not that I was australian...
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,424 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those of us (us referring to posters in this thread) who refer to scallions by their correct name
    I have no idea what you think I call them?
    Basically, both your posts made no sense what so ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

janeybabe wrote: »
    I call them spring onions.

Someone recently called me posh for calling them that. :confused::D

They're scallions, fcukin scallions, pure and simple.

"Spring onions" IS the wannabe posh / TV3 term for them.

Its MAMMY, not mummy, its 7UP, not sprite, and its fcukin JEEP, not suv:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think someone in this thread needs to learn to recognise sarcasm and taking the piss!:)

newmug wrote: »
    They're scallions, fcukin scallions, pure and simple.

"Spring onions" IS the wannabe posh / TV3 term for them.

Its MAMMY, not mummy, its 7UP, not sprite, and its fcukin JEEP, not suv:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

7up and sprite are different products..............like pepsi and coca cola as are SUV and Jeep(both american terms for different types of automobile)

Perhaps better examples of what you were trying to say

potatoes- spuds
    Eraser- Rubber
    Scotch Tape-sticky tape

Corsendonk wrote: »
    ... as are SUV and Jeep(both american terms for different types of automobile) ...
    No, Jeep is a brand name like Ford or Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've really enjoyed reading these posts. Thanks for that.

For me scallions became spring onions when those UK celebrity chefs decided that's what they were called. And we followed. Maybe that's what they always called them over there however :rolleyes:

Anyway, does anyone know if any Irish chefs call these things scallions or what?

I have a few more rants on the way about foodie terms, so brace yourselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

No, Jeep is a brand name like Ford or Audi.
    True but jeep is not a brand.

Jeep
    Trade name

The original trademark brand name application was filled in February 1943 by Willys-Overland.[2] It is also used as a generic term with a lowercase (jeep) for vehicles inspired by the Jeep that are suitable for use on rough terrain.[3]

As the only company that continually produced Jeep vehicles after the war, in June 1950 Willys-Overland was granted the privilege of owning the name "Jeep" as a registered trademark.[2]

On topic, I use the term scallions and spring onions interchangeably in my house as did my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I have a few more rants on the way about foodie terms, so brace yourselves!!

How about calling tortillas 'wraps'.!! Grrrrrrrrr.:mad::mad:

If by tortilla you mean the flat-bread / pancake thing then 'wrap' may be a trifle (get it? :) ) superfluous, but if you mean omelette then it is probably just wrong. But it all depends on where you are, geographically speaking.

Sorry just noticed your location is Cork - crubeens it is then. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I watch Australian Masterchef and see the presenters referring to eschalots. From what I can see, an eschalot is simply a shallot. Échalote is the French word for shallot. Curious that the Anglophilic Aussies use a french translation for the shallot.... probably to do with the traditions of French gastronomy in professional kitchens.

As for the preference for the term Spring Onion coming from those UK celebrity chefs - in the early years of TV cookery - when Gordon Ramsay was still a craggy faced teenager - we were introduced to the exotic world of Chinese cooking by Ken Hom; who would garnish each dish liberally with chopped Spring Onions.

Advertisement