Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options
  • 03-11-2010 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

So it's now a chance for the people of the South West to stand up for the area and think about who they are voting for this is a chance to get new blood in to fight our corner not the same old faces or "big name" candidates.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1103/byeelection.html

Who are you going to vote for in the Donegal SW by-election? For eligble voters only 56 votes

Pearse Doherty
    0% 0 votes
    Frank McBrearty
    60% 34 votes
    Brian O’Domhnaill
    10% 6 votes
    Barry O’Neill
    10% 6 votes
    Thomas Pringle
    5% 3 votes
    Ann Sweeney
    8% 5 votes
    Dont know/dont care/wont be voting
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Carrickman wrote: »
    So it's now a chance for the people of the South West to stand up for the area and think about who they are voting for this is a chance to get new blood in to fight our corner not the same old faces or "big name" candidates.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1103/byeelection.html

Good on Doherty winning his HC case. Everyone thought it would not go anywhere. The government is going to allow DSW and DSW only to have a bye-election at this time. That will leave 3 others outstanding. They are now protecting the slim majority they have in the Dáil.

There has been talk of the government parachuting Pat the Cope in for an election but personally IMO he abandoned the county and was only looking out for himself and the FF government.

Doherty and SF have stood up for the basic Constitutional rights of the people in DSW and he will get my number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

The reason (and we all know) that the by election is only being allowed run in Donegal South West, is because it is the only constituency that FF have HALF a chance of winning.... and the reason that FF are appealing the judgemnet is that the High Court wont be able to allow the by election run in the other 3 constituencies around the country.By doing this they are showing COMPLETE and utter CONTEMPT to the electorate.They know that there might be just enough of a pool of voters (friends and family) in DSW to ram through a win in the by election just in time for the budget.... and there folks lies the crunch.... because if FF lose DSW, the budget is scrapped

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Good on Doherty winning his HC case. Everyone thought it would not go anywhere. The government is going to allow DSW and DSW only to have a bye-election at this time. That will leave 3 others outstanding. They are now protecting the slim majority they have in the Dáil.

There has been talk of the government parachuting Pat the Cope in for an election but personally IMO he abandoned the county and was only looking out for himself and the FF government.

Doherty and SF have stood up for the basic Constitutional rights of the people in DSW and he will get my number 1.

100% agree. Let this be the beginning of the end....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

And lest we forget.... No government has won a by-election since 1982. :)

Source: RTE six-one news 3-11-10

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its a farce.
    Its obvious that the other two bye elections not being held infringes on the same rights that were judged on today yet the government can get away without holding them.
    Disgraceful.

I'm not one who supports SF but fair play to them in this instance. They also said they would start court cases on the other 2 bye elections if required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The reason (and we all know) that the by election is only being allowed run in Donegal South West, is because it is the only constituency that FF have HALF a chance of winning.... and the reason that FF are appealing the judgemnet is that the High Court wont be able to allow the by election run in the other 3 constituencies around the country.By doing this they are showing COMPLETE and utter CONTEMPT to the electorate.They know that there might be just enough of a pool of voters (friends and family) in DSW to ram through a win in the by election just in time for the budget.... and there folks lies the crunch.... because if FF lose DSW, the budget is scrapped

just reading that if the gov.appeal this that stops SF taking another HC case to precipitate the othe by-elections now i cant see how as this case was taken by pearse doherty as an individual and a constituent so i cant see how the other 2 delayed by-elections can be held up but does going to the supreme court put a hold on the principal of unreasonable delay.

goes to lie down

ohyes and its a farce the gov should have held the DSW one after the european elections they may have even held it !
    its a blatent unconstitutional holding onto power by a loophole

apologies.... got carried away! post edited

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Related issues no doubt which nay be debated in the Politics forum but for now can we just stick to the topic of the by-election please and how it will impact on Donegal South West and indeed the county (not the country) overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

irish1967 wrote: »
    Imagine our very own Jackie Healy Rae in the hills of Donegal!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Imagine our very own Jackie Healy Rae in the hills of Donegal!!

I wouldn't be so quick to impune Jackie Healey Rae

To date the candidates to contest the Donegal South West by-election are Fine Gael Barry O’Neill
    Senator Pearse Doherty Sinn Fein
    Frank McBrearty Jnr is the Labour party
    Thomas Pringle Independant
    Senator Brian ODomhnaill Fianna fail
    Tom Conaghan Independent
    Patsy Brogan Independant

will all the independants steal doherty's vote (esp pringle) and a ff split esp round donegal town with conaghan run (basically a FF'er from what i hear)

sligopark wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to impune Jackie Healey Rae

I wasn't I mean he would be a character like him, just a Donegal version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

To date the candidates to contest the Donegal South West by-election are Fine Gael Barry O’Neill
    Senator Pearse Doherty Sinn Fein
    Frank McBrearty Jnr is the Labour party
    Thomas Pringle Independant
    Senator Brian ODomhnaill Fianna fail
    Tom Conaghan Independent
    Patsy Brogan Independant

will all the independants steal doherty's vote (esp pringle) and a ff split esp round donegal town with conaghan run (basically a FF'er from what i hear)

That is exactly waht happened during the last local elections. There should be 3/4 candidates running, full stop..... the same happened in Letterkenny. But the public dont see this. Friends and family will vote for their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Who is running for Fianna Fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Glenman wrote: »

Won't know until Sunday I think but who cares? I think its terrible that they are having the election on a Thursday - doing a lot of students out of their vote! They must be afraid after the big demonstration in Dublin :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I think its terrible that they are having the election on a Thursday - doing a lot of students out of their vote! They must be afraid after the big demonstration in Dublin :-(

It's time for the students to vote... too much apathy as far as I am concerned. I am in Galway and will be travelling to Gweedore to make sure my vote is counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Won't know until Sunday I think but who cares?

who really would have the neck to do so given what theyhave done for the country never mind Donegal SW?

I wasn't I mean he would be a character like him, just a Donegal version!

the chap from the nbog hotel is a shameful character through and through - at least JHR has a better character about him from the past

It's time for the students to vote... too much apathy as far as I am concerned. I am in Galway and will be travelling to Gweedore to make sure my vote is counted.

Good man (or woman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

+1

This government will try everything it can do to stay in power.

These pool of voters should look at the bigger picture and bring this government to it's deathknell. What has the government done for DSW? Lack of jobs, No rail infrastructure, an airport with poor access, road infrastructure poor in most areas, little investment compared to other areas in the country. The time has come to vote for the future of the whole nation and get rid of this joke of a coalition that is wreaking havoc to the economy and the people of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Glenman wrote: »

Brian Ó Domhnaill

Anyone know what he does for a crust? The media call him "a former teacher" - does this mean that he is a fulltime politician?

• Advertisement

Yes, he's a senator.

from here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1108/1224282866110.html
    SENATOR BRIAN Ó Domhnaill was selected unopposed as the Fianna Fáil candidate for the Donegal South West byelection in Glenties last night.

Tánaiste and Minister for Education Mary Coughlan, who is a TD for the constituency, claimed no benefit would come to the constituency by “electing a TD to sit on the Opposition benches for the duration of this Dáil”. Minister for Social Protection Éamon Ó Cuív chaired the convention.

love the mary coughlan quote like we've had anything from her time in gov. appealing to gombeenism at its worst vote for us and you may get a few scraps

how does that woman hold onto her seat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

TV3 promises to have all candidates in the studio for the Vincent Browne Show tonight.

how does that woman hold onto her seat ?
    I could answer that now for you but at the risk of being run out of the country I better not....

give us a clue then.....!

Essexboy wrote: »
    TV3 promises to have all candidates in the studio for the Vincent Browne Show tonight.
    Anyone watch this? Thought McBrearty came across very badly with his comments and constant interrupting, Ó Domhnaill came across as a typical FF'er more or less saying how great he is (I think I should get the parachute because I'm great. In fact, I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work!) and if you don't vote for me you will get nothing and his constant hand gesturing was annoying

O'Neill was left kind of stuck by some sticky questions so it was not his best performance and Doherty in fairness seemed to came across the best of them (I am not a shiner by the way it's just the way I seen it) thank feck Brogan was not on it:o

I would say not too many Donegal people watched it as I only watched it because of the tip off here, so maby the next TV debate they might be more prepared!!

This is just my opinion just wonder what the rest of you who watched it though of it.

Missed it myself. Dont know if that was fortunate or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

caught it myself too agree with your view of it carrickman, gee it was cringworthy at times.

trust me muffler you were fortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

McBrearty was a shambles altogether if anyone who seen this votes for him they should have their head examined.

O'Neill seemed stuck for words with whatever was asked of him, I think it could be due to him being relatively new to this more grand of a scale, side of politics

O'Domhnaill, seemed to borderline on desperation for a lot of it with his defence of FF

Doherty then came across best by quite a margin but would have plenty of experience compared to the others at this level which couldve helped his case substantially

Anyone who missed it can watch it here on tv3s catch up service
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Anyone watch this? Thought McBrearty came across very badly with his comments and constant interrupting, Ó Domhnaill came across as a typical FF'er more or less saying how great he is (I think I should get the parachute because I'm great. In fact, I think I should get both the parachutes, in case one of them doesn't work!) and if you don't vote for me you will get nothing and his constant hand gesturing was annoying

O'Neill was left kind of stuck by some sticky questions so it was not his best performance and Doherty in fairness seemed to came across the best of them (I am not a shiner by the way it's just the way I seen it) thank feck Brogan was not on it:o

I would say not too many Donegal people watched it as I only watched it because of the tip off here, so maby the next TV debate they might be more prepared!!

This is just my opinion just wonder what the rest of you who watched it though of it.

I thought more or less the same, Ó Domhnaill was pointing his finger at the camera, Vincent Brown and so on - it was more or less threatening us! Do what I say or else - who is he trying to kid, the sooner they are out of government the better! Pearce Doherty did well to take it to court and give us the chance to put them out! Mc Brearty is a nice man but came across badly - I do admire him for standing up when he was falsely accused of murder, it took a lot of courage and I think he would work very hard!

Advertisement