Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

sollar wrote: »
    brian o'domhnaill was allowed to wander around inside as he pleased.

Double standards there.
    Sure Mary Coughlin was in the polling station in Carrick for an hour yesterday and this is not allowed but as usual not a word is said to he because Mary is a mighty woman.

I don't care who wins the seat as long as O'Domhnaill is hammered which will be a blow to FF as this is usually a very strong area for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

the only reason to vote for the FF candidate, with a general election looming anyways, was to ensure the govt could get the budget through and avoid a period of unstability. Unless of course, the voter believed that there was somewhere else that was going to stump up.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

<SNIP>

Mod edit: Durnish, previous post removed and troll banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tallies with nearly all boxes open:

SF 39%

FF 22%

FG 18%

Labour 11%

Pringle 10%

Disappointing for FG and Labour.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Sweeney actually got 0.4% so far :)

• Advertisement

The above percentages would mirror our poll on here except for the labour vote. Interesting.

irish1967 wrote: »
    The above percentages would mirror our poll on here except for the labour vote. Interesting.

Highland reporting McBrearty behind Pringle on first preferences!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

20%+ for FF

Hard to believe that 1 in 5 could vote for them - we will never learn :(

What were the % in the last GE ? the swing will be the interesting bit I think

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭donal666

41.5% for FF in 2007 on wiki.... 20% swing is huge but I was expecting something even more devastating but sure that's parish politics for you...

• Advertisement

donal666 wrote: »
    41.5% for FF in 2007 on wiki.... 20% swing is huge but I was expecting something even more devastating but sure that's parish politics for you...

SF had about 20% last time so that FF vote appears largely to have gone there.

FG vote is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

13.29 Fine Gael's Barry O'Neill has conceded defeat, but insisted that his party would take plenty of encouragement from his expected second place finish. He also confirmed that he would put himself forward as a candidate in the General Election

^ from RTE site

and being as the government conceded it has lost the seat in DSW (being reported on Sky News) can Doherty now be declared the winner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

^ from RTE site

and being as the government conceded it has lost the seat in DSW (being reported on Sky News) can Doherty now be declared the winner?

They said on the RTE news that they were Labour were going to ask for a recount....

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

No, no recount Labour said

Results of the first count:
    The total valid poll = 34,424. The quota = 17,213

Pearse Doherty (13,719),
    Brian Ó Domhnaill (7,344),
    Barry O'Neill (6,424),
    Thomas Pringle (3,488),
    Frank McBrearty (3,366),
    Ann Sweeney (133).

The results of the second count are:

Pearse Doherty (+17) 13,736,
    Brian Ó'Domhall (+4) 7,358,
    Barry O'Neill (+18) 6,442,
    Thomas Pringle (+53) 3,491
    Frank McBrearty (+9) 3,375,

Frank McBrearty's vote is now being redistributed, I wonder how McBreartys votes go between Doherty and O'Neill I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

With Pearse becomming td how will his seanad seat be apointed i think pearse was trade union apointed so will they apoint someone from donegal sw,does pearse have a say in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

cosanostra wrote: »
    With Pearse becomming td how will his seanad seat be apointed i think pearse was trade union apointed so will they apoint someone from donegal sw,does pearse have a say in it?
    What happens if he relinquishes his Seanad seat and then doesn't get elected in the general election? :eek:

The results of the third count are:

Pearse Doherty (+1452) 15,188,
    Brian Ó'Domhall (+278) 7,636,
    Barry O'Neill (+871) 7,313,
    Thomas Pringle (+272) 3,763

Thomas Pringle's vote is now being redistributed. Same as McBreartys votes I would say here as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Just looking at the bye elections and i am amazed that finna fail got second and got so many votes. People voting for a party that didn't even want them having a representitive and made opposition parties go to court so donegal SW could their say, Fianna fail voters ye baffle me.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

third count

Pearse Doherty (+1452) 15,188,
    Brian Ó'Domhall (+278) 7,636,
    Barry O'Neill (+871) 7,313,
    Thomas Pringle (+272) 3,763

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Who the hell keeps voting for FF? What the hell is wrong with these people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Flibbles wrote: »
    Who the hell keeps voting for FF? What the hell is wrong with these people?!

their ma/da/granny/granda/cousin/unle/neighbour of the gardener that used to cut the grass of the guy that used to walk the dog of the milkman who gave milk to their 3rd cousin twice removed used to vote Fianna Fail so they will too

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

muffler wrote: »
    What happens if he relinquishes his Seanad seat and then doesn't get elected in the general election? :eek:

If Gerry adams takes the seanad seat it wouldnt matter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

danniemcq wrote: »
    their ma/da/granny/granda/cousin/unle/neighbour of the gardener that used to cut the grass of the guy that used to walk the dog of the milkman who gave milk to their 3rd cousin twice removed used to vote Fianna Fail so they will too

My fiance said the same thing to me. :P

Just looking at the bye elections and i am amazed that finna fail got second and got so many votes. People voting for a party that didn't even want them having a representitive and made opposition parties go to court so donegal SW could their say, Fianna fail voters ye baffle me.:eek:

They aren't second yet, if Barry O'Neill get 324 more votes than Brian in the fourth count they will be second not that it makes much of a difference because so long as he doesn't get the seat its a win IMO.

Pearse Doherty ELECTED (+1,709) 16,897,
    Barry O'Neill (+869) 8,182
    Brian Ó'Domhall (+433) 8,069

So he was pushed down th 3rd then :cool:

RTé website still shows him second despite having less votes, lol.

0003f65f-314.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Well done to Pearse after a very well run campaign, ;)he will seriously need to deliver now as he holds no clinics in Donegal at the moment and people need to be able to get in contact with him! General election i doubt would be the same runaway victory his party will hold him back too much, at the end of the day Sinn fein voted FOR the bailout dont forget, Labour were the only ones to vote against it but sending a candiate like poor Frank up didnt do them any favours:o

Advertisement