Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

give us a clue then.....!

How does she hold on to her seat?.......THE PENSIONERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats why she is afraid to cut them - she also made sure that students can't vote by having elections during the week on more than one occasion! Everyone, old or young should use their vote and let them know what we think!

McBrearty was a shambles altogether if anyone who seen this votes for him they should have their head examined.

O'Neill seemed stuck for words with whatever was asked of him, I think it could be due to him being relatively new to this more grand of a scale, side of politics

O'Domhnaill, seemed to borderline on desperation for a lot of it with his defence of FF

Doherty then came across best by quite a margin but would have plenty of experience compared to the others at this level which couldve helped his case substantially

Anyone who missed it can watch it here on tv3s catch up service
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne

I agree but do think that Mc Brearty has to be admired for his stance when he was falsely accused of murder and do think he would stand up in the Dail and be counted more so than any of the rest - he must be a very strong character that didn't really come across last night! Barry O'Neill should be well used to working behind a camera, he does some work for RTE I think - a lot of it was probably due to nerves too for all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Anyone who missed it can watch it here on tv3s catch up service
    http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne
    Damn thing wont play for me. The ad intro does but then again what do you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

I agree but do think that Mc Brearty has to be admired for his stance when he was falsely accused of murder and do think he would stand up in the Dail and be counted more so than any of the rest - he must be a very strong character that didn't really come across last night! Barry O'Neill should be well used to working behind a camera, he does some work for RTE I think - a lot of it was probably due to nerves too for all of them!

Well if i was falsely accused of murder i couldnt see myself taking it lying down either to be fair. €2.5m or whatever it was wouldnt be long easing the woes of it either.

Coming in front of a wind up merchant (a good one though :p) like Vincent Browne would be enough to rattle anyones cages first time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Essexboy wrote: »
    Brian Ó Domhnaill

Anyone know what he does for a crust? The media call him "a former teacher" - does this mean that he is a fulltime politician?
    I know the man personally and hes actually a gentleman. He has a lot of integrity but I cant vote for him considering the party hes attached to. Its a shame because if he ran as an independant he'd get my first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

from here http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/1108/1224282866110.html

love the mary coughlan quote like we've had anything from her time in gov. appealing to gombeenism at its worst vote for us and you may get a few scraps

how does that woman hold onto her seat ?
    I actually hate that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Watched most of the debate last night too, would pretty much go along with the general consensus here that Doherty had the best of it, probably followed by FF, FG, and Lab candidates in that order..

Believe that Pringle may be on another night soon, he was asked @ 6.30pm last night to appear, but couldn't get from Drumkeen to killybegs to Dublin in time..

Well if i was falsely accused of murder i couldnt see myself taking it lying down either to be fair. €2.5m or whatever it was wouldnt be long easing the woes of it either.

Coming in front of a wind up merchant (a good one though :p) like Vincent Browne would be enough to rattle anyones cages first time round

Maybe the money would ease it now for him but at the time he had no guarantee that it would turn out the way it did! I do think no one would take it lying down but very few would have taken the route he took of taking it all the way and winning - if he had lost he would have lost everything and there was always that hanging over his head! I would say people who knew him did know he was telling the truth but others may have thought differently! All I am saying is that we need someone who will fight for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

what about the €8 a share?? :)
    was just reading through this analysis

Maybe the money would ease it now for him but at the time he had no guarantee that it would turn out the way it did! I do think no one would take it lying down but very few would have taken the route he took of taking it all the way and winning - if he had lost he would have lost everything and there was always that hanging over his head! I would say people who knew him did know he was telling the truth but others may have thought differently! All I am saying is that we need someone who will fight for us!

The man couldnt grasp the concept of something as basic as how the bond markets work so just continually shouted out "€8!" as if it meant something, then butting in when other people were trying to talk with his ho-ho hilarious digs about 4th subs and waves. Id sooner still be stuck with no fullrepresentation than have that man "fighting for us" if this is what it entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

I heard last night that the boundary up by St Johnston direction is begin narrowed ie they are using the same boundary as the last election or something like that (not 100% sure) it is about 1,000 voters of the list this I would say will effect McBrearty and Doherty the most.

Finally got a chance to look at the Vincent Browne interview and have to agree with what others have said.

O'Neill had no impact whatsoever. He said nothing that would sway the neutrals to vote Fine Gael and was slow to grasp and understand the questions put to him

Ó Domhnaill was typically following the official party line and just like O'Neill he was totally unconvincing and screwed up in his 90 second intro by failing to say which party he was standing for.

McBrearty just proved why people would be reluctant to vote for him. He was completely out of his league and his utterances about the "€8 bonds" simply confirmed that. He did himself no favours with his continual interruptions.

Finally, Doherty was the only candidate to emerge with any credibility from it all. Got his points over well and showed that he is not out of his depths when it comes to national politics. He did however "talk over" a couple of times which wasn't welcomed.

muffler wrote: »
    Ó Domhnaill . . . screwed up in his 90 second intro by failing to say which party he was standing for.

I forgot about that completely, Vincent wasnt long jumping on him about it, after that the whole constant proclamation of himself "wearing the jersey" did him no favours at all

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭JD3112

I know the man personally and hes actually a gentleman. He has a lot of integrity but I cant vote for him considering the party hes attached to. Its a shame because if he ran as an independant he'd get my first.

Integrity likes his brother?

who was FF,
    didn't get the nomination
    ran as an independent
    got elected
    and now is back in FF

Did he tell the people that voted for him that he was going to switch back?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Folks we can debate how they performed on Vincent Browns wind up show untill the cows come home, only 2 people are in the running being realistic.

Brian O Domhnaill and Pearse Doherty im sure we all can see that.

Poor O'Neill hasnt got a clue id go so far as to call him an embarassment to fine gael, and big Frank is just ....well......lets say he lacks a bit a culture. As regards Independants for there own sake they shouldnt really waste there time, unless an Independant has a major selling point or Agenda like Thomas Gildea had a few years ago with the MMDS scandal they really dont stand a chance!

Again being realistic the voting public may make a lot of noise and the poles may vary but no matter what most people say if there was an election on the 1st January Fine Fail would be voted back in but possibly with Labour as a tag team,

As regards Donegal i would have a strong suspicion O' Domhnaill will win through, Doherty i dont think will, the public seem to think he has an agenda of some sort by making the initial challenge, Pearse Doherty has the makings of an excellent politician however he will be held back by the party he is involved with !

I would not write O'Neill off like that he was not great on TV the last night but he had not got a script like O Domhnaill had and if the people of the SW elect him after all that their party did not do for the county well we will get what we deserve the same thing we have been getting for years a big fat NOTHING. It's a three horse race with transfares going to play a major part, that is the bottom line.

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Folks we can debate how they performed on Vincent Browns wind up show untill the cows come home
    We can indeed and there is no harm in anyone posting comment on it here. It was the candidates' first televised "performance" so to speak and that for some people can be enough to judge them.

only 2 people are in the running being realistic.

Brian O Domhnaill and Pearse Doherty im sure we all can see that.
    That is your own personal view (I do agree with you though but thats neither here nor there) but there are people out there who would not share that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

Mc Breartys bus is after goin through Donegal Town playing christy moores ordinary man :eek:

The Horror!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

I actually hate that woman.

Sorry but in Donegal if a dumb ass ran for FF they would vote for them...what am I saying?.... dumb Ass... Havent they always voted for Mary Coughlan

proon4 wrote: »
    Sorry but in Donegal if a dumb ass ran for FF they would vote for them...what am I saying?.... dumb Ass... Havent they always voted for Mary Coughlan
    Post the likes of that here again and we'll see who the dumb ass really is.

Infraction given.

• Advertisement

feelpablo wrote: »
    Mc Breartys bus is after goin through Donegal Town playing christy moores ordinary man :eek:

The Horror!!!

Good god he has hardly lowered himself to the poor little fella, a wee ordinary man, almost sympathy vote has he !!!

Carrickman wrote: »
    I would not write O'Neill off like that he was not great on TV the last night but he had not got a script like O Domhnaill had and if the people of the SW elect him after all that their party did not do for the county well we will get what we deserve the same thing we have been getting for years a big fat NOTHING. It's a three horse race with transfares going to play a major part, that is the bottom line.

My views on O'Neill wont change and id imagine it will be true to the poles but anyway we will beg to differ;)

Its tough being a young politician if pearse Doherty and Brian O Domhnaill swopped shoes it wouldnt be their political opinions or what they stood for or what they may do for us that would be important, Yes it would be back to the party they stand with, i think when were voting we should take a long look at each individual and their merits and not judge them by party alone, FF have many very good dedicated politicians but also have some bad....very bad ones and chronic decisions have been made! On the same note SF have come up with some fairly off the wall statements etc and it makes me wonder if they were in power this past 10 yrs would the country be in a different situation now........i sincerely doubt it !

and big Frank is just ....well......lets say he lacks a bit a culture.
    I love it! :D

I'm in a very strange situation here...

I've never missed voting in any election or referendum since turning 18 many moons ago; I've always given someone my No1...
    Looking at the candidates an policies this year I'm thinking of putting a bit fat 0 beside each of their names...

Believe that FF have set up headquarters on the diamond in Donegal Town...In a unit that used to be occupied by Classic Casuals.. Who went bust 2 weeks ago... Due to the recession... caused by FF government... no shame whatsoever...

Firblog wrote: »
    Believe that FF have set up headquarters on the diamond in Donegal Town...In a unit that used to be occupied by Classic Casuals.. Who went bust 2 weeks ago... Due to the recession... caused by FF government... no shame whatsoever...
    Yeah that's true heard that last night and that's what I was thinking myself, shame? they will never have any shame sure it's a global recession not our fault etc etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

McBrearty - €8 euros per bond - that closed his vote off for me

From oceanfm:
    USI criticise Government on holding election on weekday

The Union of Students in Ireland has condemned the Government for setting the Donegal South West by-election on a Thursday.

The organisation says the fact that the election date of November 25th falls on a weekday will exclude many people from being able to vote.

USI President Gary Redmond is calling on the Government to begin holding all elections on a Saturday – as is common across Europe.

Well this is my view, i think it would be in our interests to have a FF man in, why? Because like it or not they are in government and whatever hope we have of getting anything done locally the buck rests with them, opossition members will be back benched and at the end of the day will be able to do little more than whine ! Thats sadly the reality regardless of who is in power!
    I have to admit in the electoral area FF have actuallly a very impressive portfolio of projects under them which will stand to them in election as people when voting in local elections like to see things done locally and boxes have been ticked!!
    Yes this is a global recession and whatever party is in would be just as hated regardless
    As regards students and the thursday issue, to open polling over weekends will cost the taxpayer maybe 3 times as much to run, it affects every one running equally and all had a chance to have there say on it

The gripe i have with SF's policy is this, they plan to make NO cuts, this means borrowing over a 6yr plan rather than 4, longer time to get the bill payed, more interest due, 2yrs more hardship,

I have to admit in the electoral area FF have actuallly a very impressive portfolio of projects under them
    Care to share?

• Advertisement

I don't believe i've ever read a better case for the end to gombeen politics than Ford4000's arguements above... Let's all vote for FF as they the only ones who'll give us some scraps from their table (prob be more cheese for mice like you) No wonder they've been in power for 15 years, too many ppl of your ilk about doffing your cap to the councillor/TD/minister hoping for a favour...

They've ticked all your boxes have they? You're easily bought too... Pray tell us of this impressive portfolio.. couple of bits of road? The odd roundabout, did they tarmac outside your house?

Certainly not the great health service, absence of unemployment, fantastic broadband, thriving fishing industry, you know National issues

As for it costing 3X times as much to hold byelection on a Saturday, surely with all the unemployed now, people would be willing to do they job for less, or are those jobs for those who enjoy a bit of the back scratching politics you advocate, and should be handsomely rewarded?

Get real Ford, this isn't a local election, National decisions my hang on the result.. the budget may stand or fall on who's elected... and you're looking out for number 1...

I'd Like to thank you, you've gotten my gander up now, no more big fat 0 for all, i'm taking a closer look and going to pick the least bad choice, and I'm going to give of my time, to actively try to get that person elected...

Advertisement