Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

If Doherty ran as an Independent I think he would coast in as people as very weary of Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do people want a poll included with this thread?

muffler wrote: »
    Yes please I was going to ask about that later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

would be interesting with an option would people be more willing to vote Doherty if he were not sinnfein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

<SNIP>

sligopark wrote: »
    would be interesting with an option would people be more willing to vote Doherty if he were not sinnfein?
    That wont be an option on the poll as it isn't going to be an option on the ballot paper.

Essexboy wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    <SNIP>
    Both those posts have nothing to do with this topic and I have removed the content.

Im a little fed up at this stage at having to repeat myself here so I wont. Next person who wishes to spoil this thread will be banned until after the by-election. No more warnings will be given.

Simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Carrickman wrote: »
    If Doherty ran as an Independent I think he would coast in as people as very weary of Sinn Fein.

I think u have a very good point there, that seems to be the thinking of an awfull lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Twould be nice to see the general consensus alright

• Advertisement

On the point of putting up a poll which type do you all feel is best?

A. Who are you going to vote for?

or

B. Who do you think will be elected?

The candidates names will be included of course so if I can get an idea of which type of poll you want I can get it up and running sometime tomorrow.

Personally I'd go for option A

On the point of putting up a poll which type do you all feel is best?

A. Who are you going to vote for?

or

B. Who do you think will be elected?

The candidates names will be included of course so if I can get an idea of which type of poll you want I can get it up and running sometime tomorrow.

Personally I'd go for option A

Personally Id prefer A, only because it would give a more accurate reflection of who is likely to get in, if only those who have a vote cast in the poll

But its not as if people who do not have a vote for it will be stopped from voting anyway which could lead to inaccuracy

So B may be preferable in that sense

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

It might be a wee bit soon for "who are you going to vote for?" some people may still be undecided," Who do you think will win ?", would spark more discussion at this stage and might help those undecided, my preference is "A" as I know who i'm voting for but I'll go with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

thought i read in one of the weekend papers that all the runners will be on the Frontline Need to double check though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Weary or wary? If the latter, I'd agree. He really has earned the respect of people and a national profile by taking that High Court challenge. The party he represents could be a step too far for a lot of people. However, if he got in, he could change the face of Sinn Féin, as let's face it, Ferris comes across as a bit of a gangster and O'Caoileán is beginning to sound like Paisley in his heyday - 'no' to everything!

Just to point out that if we agree on option "A" for the poll it wont be possible for anyone to see who "voted" for who :)

Just thought Id point that out in case people didnt want to take part in the poll because of the thought that their "vote" could be viewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

I was sitting in a friends house yesterday when he got a phonecall from a guy in galway ,I'll not say his name, asking him to vote for O'Donnell because of his pro-life status ,(what exactly is Fiana Fails stance on this ?) so the full armoury of Fiana Fail is at work here , I think its sad that these tactics are being used to try to sway voters . Id still go for option "A".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I'd be very critical of SF but see Doherty as a credible candidate to me. Think it is, he is a younger generation and that counts for something.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

somebody on this thread said it was a two horse race between FG & SF

I wish that were true but as a betting man, i should note the betting on FF has collopased

They started this election at 4/1 and are now into 13/8, 6/4(thats 1.5/1 to non bettors)

FG have been on the slide especially after O Neills poor show on Vinn cent Browne

I think even with how bad FF are doing nationally, DSW will still give FF over 30% of the vote. Pearse will not top the poll on the first count imo, only transfers will get him elected

How's everybody elses feeling on FG barry O Neill. Surely he's a better chance than 6/1 7/1 would indicate. I know hes very vocal on the health issue which is a real hot potato and if he and FG could promise to reverse some of the govs policies, they'd get huge votes.

But don't discount the noises about not cutting the OAP Pension getting O DOmhaill elected on the grey vote(its the biggest voting base FF have and can get him elected especially as most younger Donegal people are either in College(will they get back for Thursday election) or emigrated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

Odds-checker still has Doherty as favorite, and FF at 7/4 http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/donegal-south-west/winning-partyThe Labour transfers are critical. Very few (max 10%) will go to FF, the rest will split between FG and SF. Normally you would expect these to break 3-1 for FG, but here they may not. The could even split 1-1 and keep SF ahead of FG. Either way. Labour transfers split in favour of FG. So it could be SF transfers that will decide the winner.It may not matter either way, as we are on the brink of national bankruptcy

• Advertisement

Odds-checker still has Doherty as favorite, and FF at 7/4 http://www.oddschecker.com/specials/politics-and-election/donegal-south-west/winning-partyThe Labour transfers are critical. Very few (max 10%) will go to FF, the rest will split between FG and SF. Normally you would expect these to break 3-1 for FG, but here they may not. The could even split 1-1 and keep SF ahead of FG. Either way. Labour transfers split in favour of FG. So it could be SF transfers that will decide the winner.It may not matter either way, as we are on the brink of national bankruptcy
    What you are saying effectively is that you think McBrearty will be eliminated at an early stage. Thats the only way his transfers would come into play.

Pearse just put up on his Facebook page that he and the other candidates are to appear on the Frontline tonight, it's on RTÉ 1 at 22:35

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

clashing with the apprentice!

after the vincent brown fiasco im not really sure what i should tune into for my comedy fix tonight :D

feelpablo wrote: »
    clashing with the apprentice!

after the vincent brown fiasco im not really sure what i should tune into for my comedy fix tonight :D

Apprentice, shashmentrice! :pac:

Id imagine Frontline will be quite the bit more important now, does anyone know if Pringle and the other independent candidates are set to appear? It could just be the four lads who were on Vincent Browne on again.

What are the odds of Frank learning how the bond markets work in the past week, and showing of this fact at any opportunity tonight?

What are the odds of Frank learning how the bond markets work in the past week, and showing of this fact at any opportunity tonight?
    I hear he has watched all 22 Bond movies this past week so he is well up to speed...

Next person who wishes to spoil this thread will be banned until after the by-election. No more warnings will be given.

Simple really.

mindful of this warning muffler but want to answer a post - if out of order no problem but would rather not get a ban for replying ... should I PM the reply?

mindful of this warning muffler but want to answer a post - if out of order no problem but would rather not get a ban for replying ... should I PM the reply?
    As you obviously believe that it is going to be off topic then Id appreciate it if you PM'd the reply.

Thanks for asking in advance. :)

As you obviously believe that it is going to be off topic then Id appreciate it if you PM'd the reply.

Thanks for asking in advance. :)

welcome - PM'ed ;)

puffdragon wrote: »
    (what exactly is Fiana Fails stance on this ?)

pm'ed you puffdragon ;)

• Advertisement

I only looked through Thursdays Donegal Democrat this evening and I see Frank Galligan gave this thread a mention, hi Frank;)

Advertisement