Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I haven't been following this too closely but... what happens if there needs to be a Dail vote on the IMF EU bailout? If the Shinners block it, what next?

(isn't this why the ROI govt stalled on the by election, too close a vote on anything?)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

By the looks of things today the bail out will be well and truly under way if not completed prior to the by-election so it wont be an issue for Doherty or anyone else to contend with when elected.

From the Taoisech right down to the cabinet ministers and beyond we have been lied to on a daily basis for the last week or more concerning the bail out.

If O'Domhnaill had one ounce of self respect he should now withdraw from the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

muffler wrote: »
    If O'Domhnaill had one ounce of self respect he should now withdraw from the election.

You are talking about a member of Fianna Fail here now, so self respect would be a miracle at best at this stage, nevermind a withdrawl of candidacy

Its no surprise that we are treated by idiots by this government when people are clearly stupid enough to give him any chance of being elected after what this government has done to this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Its no surprise that we are treated by idiots by this government when people are clearly stupid enough to give him any chance of being elected after what this government has done to this country

not to be cheeky bigworm - but it was the last ff gombeens that put o'dolittle up for election not the people

went through the diamond today, on entering I looked left toward classic casuals - a business closed two weeks ago after something like 25 - 30 years of business - whose taken it over?

FIANNA FAIL

Any one else see the irony of a sleeveen from outside the town with no regard for the national destitude bestowed upon us by his politicon party of choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Dunno if anyone's interested after the last showing, but some candidates who are standing in the bye-election - Pringle for sure - are appearing on Vincent Browne tonight on TV3 @ 11pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Well they didn't get as much time as I thought they would... neither jumped out as a 'where have they been hiding' eureka! candidate.

Sweeney could only use half of her alloted 90sec for explaining why ppl should vote for her.
    Pringle put himself forward fairlywell for his 90sec except for constantly stressing his experience... must've mentioned it 7/8 times.

When questioned by Vincent both held up fairly well, with Pringle having by far the lions share of the conversation out of the two...

Oh and when did John Bruton seem so intelligent? Did he just have a good half hour? or was it because I've been listening to Cowen/Fahey/Ahern/Lennihan etc for too long? God help us, I think it's the second...

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I'd be inclined to think Doherty is the best candidate we have seen in Donegal for years, way better speaker than Mary Coughlan for example.

I have said it on the politics forum, he is tipped to be a future leader of Sinn Fein who may well form part of a Government in future years.

He is probably worth giving some experience before then and in reality the least embarrassing representative Donegal would ever have sent to Dail Eireann with the mcBrearty the worst case scenario. If he got in the IMF and markets would be as well to turn off the lights unless we had a lot of €8's to buy Bonds

I am not a Shinner either, but this is the most articulate politician I have ever come across in Donegal, and he might even turn up for work

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

I voted Doherty in this poll and will give him my #1 next week. The man is articulate and intelligent. He will be a welcome addition to the Dáil IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Anyone listen to Enda Kenny today on the Sean Doherty show ? I thought he was unconvincing and contradicted himself a few times, did'nt do his man any good whatsoever, just as well as Barry O Neil is Doherty's main opposition!

sligopark wrote: »
    not to be cheeky bigworm - but it was the last ff gombeens that put o'dolittle up for election not the people

I know that, but the fact he even has a chance of winning is down to the people, and it is a realistic chance too, unfortunately

• Advertisement

I know that, but the fact he even has a chance of winning is down to the people, and it is a realistic chance too, unfortunately

do you honestly think so bigworm? have people being saying it on the ground to you? I have heard old time ff'ers saying the same that they couldnt vote for Doherty because of the sf angle although they liked and admired him

sligopark wrote: »
    do you honestly think so bigworm? have people being saying it on the ground to you? I have heard old time ff'ers saying the same that they couldnt vote for Doherty because of the sf angle although they liked and admired him

Yea, no joke, a frightening amount in fact, but there seems to be some deep set love of FF ingrained in the heads of Donegal people for some reason, everyone seems to be doing it cause their parents always do/did vote FF as opposed to what is best for the country, thats from the people id know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

There is a major split in the ff camp the rosses cuman arnt throwing their weight behind brian at all they do not want to see there power base shift to chloich cheannfola! i think they will be happy enough to let brian loose then theyll bring back "the cope" for the general election!
    Brian has ended any carreer he had in national politicts by running in this because he will be forever known as the man that lost pat the cope's seat he'll never come back from that and so has his brother after betraying the people who voted for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That O'Domhnaill has a chance is due less to the grá for FF than the quality of the opposition - O'Neill (and the leader of the party he represents) is uninspiring, McBrearty is a joke, the independents aren't in the game and Doherty is handicapped by a deep-seated residual distrust of SF (and Adams's timing is announcing his candidature in Louth is woeful). That said, I think Doherty can overcome this. As others have said, he is young, articulate and clearly intelligent. If elected, he could change the image of SF in the country.

The so-called image of the Shinners seems to be reflected in the choice of the Gun Runner's Daughter, SharonStone Ferris, to be a candidate somewhere. If elected, Doherty will be standing alongside her. Photo opps everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

will the outcome of the by-election affect whether or not the budget is passed? If the by-election returns an anti-budget candidate, will there be enough members in the Dail to vote against the budget? It seems to be the one last thing this government seem determined to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

will the outcome of the by-election affect whether or not the budget is passed? If the by-election returns an anti-budget candidate, will there be enough members in the Dail to vote against the budget? It seems to be the one last thing this government seem determined to pass.
    Has anyone considered a "kidnap a FF TD for a day" scheme? Would be a great fund raiser with the proceeds divided among various charities.

6th December would be a good day for this and only 3 FF TDs need to be kidnapped cooperate if the Donegal SW seat is taken by anyone other than little Brian. There is also the bonus incentive of the budget being voted down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

muffler wrote: »
    Has anyone considered a "kidnap a FF TD for a day" scheme? Would be a great fund raiser with the proceeds divided among various charities.

6th December would be a good day for this and only 3 FF TDs need to be kidnapped cooperate if the Donegal SW seat is taken by anyone other than little Brian. There is also the bonus incentive of the budget being voted down.

:D:D.

On a serious note, though, has anyone considered the possibility that the Independents may withdraw support to save their political skins in the forthcoming General Election?
    How many of them will put their own political future before any "benefits" their continued support may gain for their constituents?

I would imagine the definitive answer lies in the result of the current ECB/IMF negotiations - or, to put it bluntly, whether or not the Government will find itself in a financial position to be able to offer "incentives" to any Independent TDs indulging in a sudden crisis of conscience.

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

@Durnish.... hypothetically speaking, if the DUP ran a candidate in DSW by-elections, he/she would figure ahead of FF/FG/Labour at this stage.... if the candidate was decent, I certainly would vote for them ahead of the others. This by-election is unique in this way; there is too much at stake, voters are willing to see beyond party politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Yes, sad coment there Backard but sadly very true , sad that we now can look at distant adversaries and admire their loyalty and backbone which our politicians (some excepted ) are now sadly lacking

• Advertisement

puffdragon wrote: »
    Yes, sad coment there Backard but sadly very true , sad that we now can look at distant adversaries and admire their loyalty and backbone which our politicians (some excepted ) are now sadly lacking

<SNIP>

Mod edit: If you were a cat you have just used up your last life

<SNIP>
    Surely the Dail have to vote to pass the budget or the IMF/EU won't stump up the dosh?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Durnish wrote: »
    <SNIP>
    Surely the Dail have to vote to pass the budget or the IMF/EU won't stump up the dosh?

Well I would think so. We can reject the IMF/EU fund if we want, but doing that will definitely make sure the markets are closed next year, when we go to borrow for wages and Welfare.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

which means a countries prospects at the bond market depends on whether or not you play ball with the IMF/ECB. Its a bit suspicious. It makes sense not to accept the money, because borrowing is the reason that we are here in the first place; anyways, so as not to go off topic.. what sort of horrors will we be threatened with by the papers during the week, if Donegal decides to vote in a certain way? Just wait and see the headlines, the big push will be on, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

which means a countries prospects at the bond market depends on whether or not you play ball with the IMF/ECB. Its a bit suspicious. It makes sense not to accept the money, because borrowing is the reason that we are here in the first place; anyways, so as not to go off topic.. what sort of horrors will we be threatened with by the papers during the week, if Donegal decides to vote in a certain way? Just wait and see the headlines, the big push will be on, mark my words.

Makes sense. Whether the politicians have the stomach to do it and inform us of the consequences?

That would take a national Govt. and would test law and order in the state. It could be done.

€30 Billion or so tax revenues. Welfare cost over €20 Billion, pay about €17/18 Billion.

To run the country eg. operations in Hospitals, run schools, open Garda Barracks etc. costs €10 Billion or so.

Bring it on!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

My reply to this was very long.. short version is, hopefully we wont need to use the bailout money

so, bite the hand that feeds you and Doherty's yer man to do the deed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

That is exactly waht happened during the last local elections. There should be 3/4 candidates running, full stop..... the same happened in Letterkenny. But the public dont see this. Friends and family will vote for their own.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

It's hilarious to think that the government tried to suspend this by-election with our own money, and then put the election on a Thursday, so that hundreds will not be able to vote because they're working or attending college outside of the county. Not to mention that Brian Ó Domhnaill then had the audacity to run as a candidate for FF.

I think it's completely surreal - you couldn't make this stuff up.

And to think that some people will still vote FF. The whole thing would almost bring me to tears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Durnish wrote: »
    so, bite the hand that feeds you and Doherty's yer man to do the deed?

Without knowing the details of the deal being negotiated, surely it's impossible for anyone to decide what is an appropriate course of action?

Fair enough - Irelands banks, (or, more accurately, International interests, who gave big loans to Irish banks) - need a cash injection. Courtesy of our inept Minister for Finance, this debt has been visited on the Irish people, including generations yet unborn...

We cannot return to the bond markets until this issue has been resolved.

Personally, I don't trust the FF government to "make the right decisions". So far, their decisions have not served the people of Ireland well.

It may well be the case that Swedens' offer of aid might prove to be a better course of action for the Irish people.

The truth is - we just don't know.

Neither, for that matter, do we know why FF are so determined to remain at the helm until this deal is negotiated, and the Budget is implemented.

Personally, I think the Irish people should at least be given the facts - before we sign on the dotted line.

Noreen

Advertisement