Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

sligopark wrote: »
    <SNIP>

Mod edit: If you were a cat you have just used up your last life

hard to see why I got an infraction mufler.

off topic?

the previous two posts then were off topic and received neither an infraction, warning nor advisement.

my post was in reply illustrating neither the DUP or SF were the stalwart examples they were stated to be.

I realise this post in itself now is off topic but your persistent sniping, heavy handed moderation and personal 'attention' is becoming tiresome and I thought I would just put it out there.

Its starting to feel more like harrassment than keeping issues within bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

great article by Colm Toibin in yesterday's Guardian. May do some selected quotes later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I, for one, fail to see how any intelligent person could vote FF in this by- election !! If you gave someone the keys of your car and watched them deliberately smash it head first into a wall would you give them the keys a second time ??

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Durnish wrote: »
    The so-called image of the Shinners seems to be reflected in the choice of the Gun Runner's Daughter, SharonStone Ferris, to be a candidate somewhere. If elected, Doherty will be standing alongside her. Photo opps everywhere.

Maybe thats why ff selected brian o donnell over pat the copes wife then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just a reminder to everyone that this is the Donegal forum and Id appreciate it if all posts and comments were kept to issues concerning Donegal.

there is a politics forum for anything else.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Highland Radio, Gerry Adams says IMF go home.
    Surely this is a Donegal issue as he is canvassing for Doherty.

The Green's statement just now puts this Donegal SW by-election in the eye of the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Down this way on Saturday a lot of people are giving out about FF (more them usual) firstly on a personal level (a this annoyed a lot of people that they called to) at lunchtime on Saturday a big black Merc (with driver of course) pulled up to the house and one of the local FF members got out along with a TD (Jim something or other from down the country) he was wearing a long black coat looking for votes well he was told where to go, we are living a bad times but these lads are still going around in Mercs with drivers canvassing no shame at all.

Secondly they sent Bertie to Kilcar and Beverly Flynn to Glen two of the most disgraced politicians in the country can they not see this or are they living a bubble?

Anyway looks like who ever gets in will only be a TD for a few months a most after the latest news about the Greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Highland Radio, Gerry Adams says IMF go home.
    Surely this is a Donegal issue as he is canvassing for Doherty.

Heard it - the man is living in la-la land! I don't know if Adams is doing Doherty any favours by canvassing for him. Doherty's campaign flyers say he'll vote against the budget, but do people honestly believe that by electing him that we'll be spared cuts in the budget?:eek:
    Carrickman wrote: »
    a big black Merc (with driver of course) pulled up to the house and one of the local FF members got out along with a TD (Jim something or other from down the country) he was wearing a long black coat looking for votes well he was told where to go, we are living a bad times but these lads are still going around in Mercs with drivers canvassing no shame at all.

Secondly they sent Bertie to Kilcar and Beverly Flynn to Glen two of the most disgraced politicians in the country can they not see this or are they living a bubble?

Would you prefer them to all be in anoraks? 'Cause we all know what happened the last time an anorak-wearer was in power:eek:

On your second point - agreed. They should've locked that pair in a cupboard until the bye-election is over!

Hm, I couldn't understnad Adam's continued reference to Doherty's three (3?)children. Seriously, if an anti budget candidate is elected in Donegal SW, what good is that going to do?

It looks like FF may ditch Cowan anyhow.

Hm, I couldn't understnad Adam's continued reference to Doherty's three (3?)children. Seriously, if an anti budget candidate is elected in Donegal SW, what good is that going to do?

It looks like FF may ditch Cowan anyhow.

Those three kids and others in their generation will be paying for the mistakes ff have made so it is probably in his thoughts that what kind of future is this to give them kids! hope this helps you understand.

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    Would you prefer them to all be in anoraks? 'Cause we all know what happened the last time an anorak-wearer was in power:eek:
    I forgot to add a piece to that, a friend of mine was going through Ardara on Saturday and their was a large crowd gathered along with TD's with a lot of gards about which gave it away that they were FF, he said all the TD's were kited out in the long black coats like some kind of dress code or perhaps it was the funeral of a nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scotlyn

I can't vote for Fianna Fail, or Fine Gael - neither of them show any understanding that they work for us, the citizens, not the banks or IBEC. Sinn Fein and Labour also strike me as large parties with agendas too far away from Donegal to be too worried about us people on the edge of the Atlantic. Whatever they tell us on the doorsteps, if we pick a party-bot, we'll be stuck with someone low down on their respective totem pole. Therefore I will be backing Thomas Pringle, an independent with a great track record.

<SNIP>

scotlyn wrote: »
    I can't vote for Fianna Fail, or Fine Gael - neither of them show any understanding that they work for us, the citizens, not the banks or IBEC. Sinn Fein and Labour also strike me as large parties with agendas too far away from Donegal to be too worried about us people on the edge of the Atlantic. Whatever they tell us on the doorsteps, if we pick a party-bot, we'll be stuck with someone low down on their respective totem pole. Therefore I will be backing Thomas Pringle, an independent with a great track record.

<SNIP>
    The majority of that post has been removed as it was off topic. If you wish to talk about Enda Kenny then please go to the politics forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

was on the news that Ann Sweeney has pulled out

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Serious question, whats the story with this bi election now, with a possible national election in january, do the people of SW Donegal return to the polls for a second time in the space of just over a month?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Serious question, whats the story with this bi election now, with a possible national election in january, do the people of SW Donegal return to the polls for a second time in the space of just over a month?

Yeah we get to vote twice because other candidates will be in the running for a g.e mary caughlan and dinny mc ginley may want to run! But the chances of there being a G.E in January are slim in my opinion because it wont be untill the budget is inacted and the last budget wasnt inacted till june or july (I think it was the social welfare bill). So we need to make sure we vote in the by election it is very important and it is our democratic right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

deemark wrote: »
    Heard it - the man is living in la-la land! I don't know if Adams is doing Doherty any favours by canvassing for him. Doherty's campaign flyers say he'll vote against the budget, but do people honestly believe that by electing him that we'll be spared cuts in the budget?:eek:

On your second point - agreed. They should've locked that pair in a cupboard until the bye-election is over!

I think they do, Adams and Doherty are deluded if they think Ireland has the money to dig itself out of this hole.

I have threatened this before but finally muffler has ran out of patience with this thread and with some of the contributors. I had to delete 3 off topic posts so from here on its going to be an instant ban for posting off topic.

Stick to debating the issues surrounding the by-election for Donegal SW and what implications it will have for the Donegal south west constituency and Donegal as a whole.

Re allocation of Ms. Sweeney's votes ? :)

muffler wrote: »
    The majority of that post has been removed as it was off topic. If you wish to talk about Enda Kenny then please go to the politics forum
    I can see your point, and won't argue, but it is worth saying I wouldn't have met Enda Kenny if he was not here in Donegal canvassing for Barry O'Neill, and by extension, for himself. This Donegal by-election is not being carried out in a bubble. We will go into the voting booth on Thursday and vote in accordance with our take on local, national and international realities. This is NOT just a local issue, or a local election, whatever it looks like from the outside.

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yep!

I have to say I was not impressed with the local Tuesday papers glossy brochure that fell out of the paper promoting the FF candidate this paper has no shame when it comes to the promoting of that party they also have the Pro Life article in the paper as well, hard to have a level playing field with stuff like that going on tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Just caught the Nine O'clock news there and must say how dissapointed I am with Brian O'Donnells attitude still. It would seem there is no depths Fianna Fail will not sink to gain votes up here in Donegal, Mr O, Donnell clearly contradicted himself in one sentence with a soundbite type tyrade about handing over power to people outside the country, seems a little naive coming from the very party that has overseen the handover! And if its true that the same paper supporting Pro-Life is also supporting Fianna Fail then it's the papers fault , you cant blame political parties for advertising in the same paper as Pro-Life even if they clearly are speaking from two sides of their mouth, after all thats what some parties do all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

was on the news that Ann Sweeney has pulled out

Sure, if Pringle had any sense he'd do the same and save his money for the General Election, in which he'd have a better chance of getting elected. It doesn't matter to the other four - the party machine will provide:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Just saw this on P.ie, thought it was interesting.
    Donegal Senators expenses revealed 020909
    Fianna Fáil Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill took home €109,428 in expenses since the last Seanad was formed in July 2007,
    while Sinn Féin's Senator Pearse Doherty claimed €86,639 in the same period.

Brain Ó Domhnaill FF has already cost us nearly twenty three grand more the his rival.
    Which even if you take it at the most basic reason for expenses.
    Gweedore is still further from Dublin then Falcarragh.

From march this year its :

Ó Domhnaill €27,478
    Donherty €23.242

With these figures in mind its interesting that Kildare st tells us:

Doherty had spoken in 74 debates in the last year — average among Senators.

Senator Pearse Doherty (KildareStreet.com)

Ó Domhnaill has spoken in 31 debates in the last year — well below average among Senators.

Senator Brian Ó Domhnaill (KildareStreet.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Maybe he was visiting his FF mate Ivor Calley in Cork on the way to the Seanad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was watching the primetime show that was on last night, was supposed to come from the Abbey in Donegal town, but with the shennanigans of the last couple of days lessening the importance of the bye election they cut the debate out; however they did leave in Miriam chatting to some people from killybegs, bundoran, donegal town and stranorlar.
    I have to say I was very very proud of all the people interviewed, unlike the candidates they were universally articulate, and none were prone to exaggeration, hyperbole, evasion or bull****. Really did us proud, an may have restored our reputation in the eyes of the rest of the country.

here's a link, about 27/28 mins in

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1085539

Anyone else get a text tonight. Where do they get the numbers??

Text:
    "Good evening. I'm appealing for your No 1 Vote or next highest preference tomorrow. This is about Donegal and Ireland's future. I'd appreciate your support. "

From the FF buck with the funny surname.

irish1967 wrote: »
    From the FF buck
    You could always rearrange the letters and put "off" at the end of it and hit reply ;)

• Advertisement

irish1967 wrote: »
    Anyone else get a text tonight. Where do they get the numbers??

Text:
    "Good evening. I'm appealing for your No 1 Vote or next highest preference tomorrow. This is about Donegal and Ireland's future. I'd appreciate your support. "

From the FF buck with the funny surname.
    And that is from the people that caused this mess in the first place hopefully the voters will put them in their place tomorrow.

Advertisement