Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to hold SW bye-election this month

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Got a text from ff too telling me to ""never mind whats going on down the country if you want a local td who will for the first time represent the people of donegal vote b.o.d1"
    Sounds to me like Brian is trying hard to distance himself from ff does he not think mary caughlan and pat the cope done a good job or mabey this is just more coniving by the ff i really hope people wont be fooled!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Backard_Pell

Fianna Fail, you stand up in OUR parliament, and you repeatedly lie to our people.. then you bend over backwards to protect developers who funded your party, and you stand over the church who wreaked havoc on our young for years; molesting, abusing and raping our children.. now you stand over the banks, who are doing exactly the same as the church and the developers did.
    Fianna Fail, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I did warn you all. See you in a week Backard_Pell

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Well today is the day. It took a court case to have this election but we finally have it. I would encourage everyone to vote today. Who you vote for is your choice but in my mind if you don't vote then you have no right to complain about the government we end up with.

Fianna Fail, you stand up in OUR parliament, and you repeatedly lie to our people.. then you bend over backwards to protect developers who funded your party, and you stand over the church who wreaked havoc on our young for years; molesting, abusing and raping our children.. now you stand over the banks, who are doing exactly the same as the church and the developers did.
    Fianna Fail, I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE
    This is the type of thing that will earn you a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

irish1967 wrote: »
    Anyone else get a text tonight. Where do they get the numbers??

Text:
    "Good evening. I'm appealing for your No 1 Vote or next highest preference tomorrow. This is about Donegal and Ireland's future. I'd appreciate your support. "

From the FF buck with the funny surname.

Is there not a moratorium against canvassing on wednesday?

puffdragon wrote: »
    Is there not a moratorium against canvassing on wednesday?
    Thats a good question. I know the candidates/parties cant give interviews etc but does young Brian's text messages fall into that category.

An interesting point.

Any chance we get an answer to that tonight ,I wont sleep!

( Ok so I will sleep, he's going to lose anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

No, there is a broadcasting moritorium set just before polling day. They can canvass etc. They cannot put up posters within a certain distance of the polling booth either.

The Pollong day and 24hrs beforehand that people talk about relates to broadcasting and print media only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmmm. It could be argued that an unrequested text message is media. Oh wait ! It's was a FF text message.. They make the rules.

Anyone heading to the bosco centre to vote today ? Coffee anyone?

• Advertisement

Smart-fones etc are broadband enabled and therefore it is "broadcasting" the difference being that your mobile phone has now become connected to the "world wide media" " media" being the operative word here , is it the case that if you want to connect to the web then you are forced to take these texts or is that not what the moratorium is supposed to protect us from.
    I know im in the wrong forum and I wont mention it again , but if anyone notices any further info on Boards about this try and send me a note on it ,cheers, If you are voting today good luck with that, I cant say much except I hope whoever is voted in will be entering a very different political system than before , now we're on to them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Voted this morning in Bundoran, the 3 big posters for O'Domhnaill have "traitor" spraypainted right across the front of them in big writing, started laughing myself when i seen them.

There didnt appear to be too many of the usual suspects from all the parties tipping about, they must be waiting for the big one next month perhaps.

Just voted in the Killygordon area. Beautiful day and the roads seem to have cleared. Hopefully the turn out is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Any exit polls yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Generally a low turn out across the board FF are starting to come up with excuses already (low turn out byelection means nothing) No matter what ff say this byelection is vital because ff will hang on to power untill the numbers go against them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

22% turnout so far here in Carrick at 1pm don't know about the rest of the county.

According to Ocean FM.. turnout at 15.45 was 16%... Is there a minimum percentage required to render it an invalid election?:confused:

Has it crossed anyones mind that given low turn outs and weather that this could go belly up. FF are very well practiced at collecting the faithful to vote. The FF faithful who always vote will vote today. Will those fed up vote in the numbers needed.

I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

If no one votes then FF can claim that they were right to hold off on the by -election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

we'll be a laughing stock if ff figure in any way at all!

• Advertisement

we'll be a laughing stock if ff figure in any way at all!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

* not that I have anything personally against mr. O'Domhnaill, I know that he has done a lot for the county etc. its just Im afraid the result of the by-election may not reflect the current mood of the people of the country, and we will be the subject of their wrath. (just a thought)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Apparantly big frank was put out of a voting station by an angry guard today but later on brian o'domhnaill was allowed to wander around inside as he pleased.

Double standards there.

sollar wrote: »
    Apparantly big frank was put out of a voting station by an angry guard today but later on brian o'domhnaill was allowed to wander around inside as he pleased.

Double standards there.
    I think it may have been a case of an "angry Frank" being removed by a guard today in Stranorlar. :D

There was something happened there today just before lunch when we were in voting. All I know is that I was told on the way out that Frank kicked up a bit of a rumpus about something (surprising eh?) and the gardai were called.

* not that I have anything personally against mr. O'Domhnaill, I know that he has done a lot for the county etc. its just Im afraid the result of the by-election may not reflect the current mood of the people of the country, and we will be the subject of their wrath. (just a thought)

I hope that even if this irrelevant election dosent go the way you want it to that the general election will so I dont think we should worry, Fianna Fail is on the way out anyway. If you had been watching "HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU " on BBC1 tonight you would realise that Brian Cowen and Fianna Fail have made us the laughing stock of the world, even the deepest grass roots FF'r cant ignore the real damage they have caused.I've even noticed friends of mine who are usually quite willing to share who they are voting for being quite reticent today and many also who didn't vote at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So the polls are now closed, any predictions from the media or any exit polls, just tried the RTE website but appears to be off line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Has it crossed anyones mind that given low turn outs and weather that this could go belly up. FF are very well practiced at collecting the faithful to vote. The FF faithful who always vote will vote today. Will those fed up vote in the numbers needed.

I wonder...

I heard sf where pretty good at it as well !

anway was surprised at the number of cars heading for the bosco this morning

I got an email from enda, anyone else ?

from politics.ie
    twittered exit poll

Latest count from Donegal south west #dsw10 Doherty 33% O'Domhnaill 21% McBrearty19% O'Neill 18% Pringle 8%

also reported turnouts of 60% and 66%

EDIT: those turnouts were for falcarragh and gortahork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

Was in Bosco just before 9:00 - The lady there said that turnout was over 50% for their booth. Not sure how representative that was of the whole place.

With more then 50% of the boxes tallied so far, it looks as though Doherty has won the seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

With more then 50% of the boxes tallied so far, it looks as though Doherty has won the seat.

SF about 40% first preferences.

FF and FG about 20% each.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement