Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can the school ask this question?

Options
  • 03-11-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have filled in an application form for my 12 yr old for secondary school, term beginning Sept 2011.
    One of the questions was "Do you have a medical card?"
    Can they ask this?
    What relevance does the answer, yes or no, have to do with the school?
    School will not be paying for medical help if such help is needed.

I think it is a loop-hole in the questioning system of such forms as they cannot ask straight out if you are receiving social welfare. It should not make a difference whether a child's family is receiving social welfare or not but could have a bearing on the places appointed if the school thinks the family cannot pay annual subscriptions etc.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thank you.

H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If the family has a medical card then they can avail of the book rental scheme in the school which usually means all books excluding work books are supplied for the fee of 50 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

You dont have to pay the fee for the state examinations - junior and leaving certificate - if you are a medical card holder.

Its the only thing I can think of at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

It can also affect the school's funding.

Schools are designated as disadvantaged under the DEIS scheme based on the socio-economic background of their pupils. The medical card is accepted as a good measure of socio-economic status.

DEIS is the Department's attempt to deliver equal opportunity to those who are disadvantaged. They have to have some way of assessing that disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thaedydal wrote: »
    If the family has a medical card then they can avail of the book rental scheme in the school

This varies from school to school. However, DEIS schools are more likely to have such a scheme.

Surely OP, you would have been asked this in primary school too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

The medical card question is standard procedure in most schools for all the reasons outlined by previous posters. I understand you would not want your child labelled in any way, but be aware that it is purely an administration exercise and does not appear on any documentation relating to the child that can be viewed by teaching or non-administrative staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Agreed with above. They need to know approximate numbers for who will be paying for x,y & z and also to see how many students they will have to get the government to pay for.

Oh and OP, not just people on SW get the medical card. It is means tested so you can have a low income from work and have it. So it is not the stigma you think it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Agree with wolfpant.

And it's not just 'low income' earners. I work full time and have one child, but have a big mortgage and childcare costs etc. I applied for a medical card and received it last year, although my salary isn't considered 'low', but my net disposable income is. So it's not distinguishing between those on sw and those in employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here again.
    After reading all the replies, I suppose it makes sense.
    I don't care one way or another if anyone has medical card, i.e. no stigma etc.
    I just couldn't see why the school would ask such a question.
    I do now.
    I have never been asked it before (someone asked if I'd had to provide such info for primary school).
    Anyway, many thanks to all for the replies.
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rosepetal

I was filling out the form for my son who is starting secondary next Sept and I had to fill in had he a medical card and was he a traveller. :confused:It stated on the form that it was required by the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've filled in 3 different secondary school applications (and 3 different primary ones too) and never came across either of these questions before. I do think that the question should only be posed after places in the school have been offered. There would then never be a question of doubt as to why a child didn't get an offer of a place in a school of choice. Secondary school offers are often subject of major discussion as to how certain people managed to get their kids into a school while others who might not be as affulent or prominent in a community failed to get school of choice. By having questions of this type ascertained after the offers are placed would still give the school plenty of time to set in place systems they need for book rental schemes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

rosepetal wrote: »
    I was filling out the form for my son who is starting secondary next Sept and I had to fill in had he a medical card and was he a traveller. :confused:

The school is allocated extra money for traveller children.
    I've filled in 3 different secondary school applications (and 3 different primary ones too) and never came across either of these questions before. I do think that the question should only be posed after places in the school have been offered. There would then never be a question of doubt as to why a child didn't get an offer of a place in a school of choice. Secondary school offers are often subject of major discussion...

You're assuming that applications, waiting lists and schools offering places are the norm in Ireland; it isn't. Outside of the urban centres, schools deal with whoever turns up. They need to know about special needs, travellers and foreign students as early as possible, so resources can be put in place and it is usually DEIS schools who need this information most.

Mind you, I work in a VEC school where the issue of not accepting students never arises:rolleyes:

Advertisement