Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving files and permissions

• 03-11-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

So I want to move the files for all of the websites on my linux webserver to a new directory accessed via a symlink from the original directory. If I copy the files over and make the symlinks, will all permissions stay intact??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Copy them first and then have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

almighty1 wrote: »
    Copy them first and then have a look.
    Is there a way of printing out the permissions?? There's a lot of directories and files with different permissions.

EDIT: Copied all the files over and renamed the original directory and made a symlink to the copied files and the permissions don't seem to be transferred. Keep getting a load of permission errors on the websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Figured it out, you have to use -prv in the cp command; -p for preserve, -r for recursive, and -v for verbose.

Advertisement