Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

4 stars (good)
    Bikes are banned and I have in previous years seen Gardai stopping people. But then how are you going to get them all to cycle responsiblely when half the cyclist I see on the street don't even wear helmets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

4 stars (good)
    Did it as my 1st marathon yesterday, 4'21" nothing special but considering my training wasn't quite what it could be I'm happy with that. I was disappointed though to see the 4 hour balloons with their followers slowly disappearing into the distance but thought better of trying to hang on.

Great day out, think the relay adds to it as it was nice to see familiar faces every few miles. We'd a lot of teams in from work so a big thumbs up to it, it got a lot of people out who wouldn't normally do a race.

Nice to see the crowds out, especially the people giving out oranges and haribo down near the Lough, nice gesture.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    Bikes are banned and I have in previous years seen Gardai stopping people. But then how are you going to get them all to cycle responsiblely when half the cyclist I see on the street don't even wear helmets.

not to drag this entire thread off topic but helmets are not a requirement by law so your comment is somewhat meaningless.

In fact a helmet would likely do more good and save more lives each year if motorists wore them when driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rich1982

3 stars (average)
    rich1982 wrote: »
    Good call on the Toenails. I forgot to do it on a long run a few weeks ago and my big Toenail turned nasty. Had to have it pulled off by the doctor this morning. On antibiotics now for that and a chest infection. Getting physio on my knee as it went from under me on mile 20 of my 20 mile run before the taper and painful to run any distance since. Just going to rest up and hope for the best.

Pretty crap preparation for my first marathon. All for a good cause though, so I'll be walking/crawling to the finish if it comes to it...

Managed to limp around in a very painful 4:22:59. Decided to wear a camelbak with lucozade sport at the last minute as I was sure I'd be on the course 7 or 8 hours hobbling. Also bought an IT band strap through devine inspiration the day before even though the physio ruled out ITBS. He must have been wrong though cause when the pain kicked in after mile 2 it was up towards my hip more than my knee.

I knew stopping would be a bad idea, but had to pee in the bushes around the Blackrock walkway - the antibiotics, neurofen, banana, jelly beans and lucozade were playing havok on my stomach and at the risk of being crude, it was a choice of relieve pressure through the front door or risk it coming out the back :-) When I started running again my knee was in excruciating pain for the next 2 miles until I got a rythem going and the pain shifted further up the leg again.

I was thrilled as I started to pass out a good few marathoners from 20 miles on even with all the odds against me. I tried to sprint for the finish but as soon as I changed pace the hamstring locked so you may have seen me squeezing my shorts as I hobbled over the line :-)

Thrilled on Monday evening that I finished under the circumstances, wouldn't have shown up on the day only for the funds raised. Since Tuesday morning though I can't help wondering how fast I could run a marathon if I wasn't injured and sick. This was my first race since primary school sports day so I'm not a runner, but I'm already tempted to have another go...

PS: The Half Marathoners gave fantastic encouragement as they passed by in the last 2 or 3 miles so huge thanks, it was a big help!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

3 stars (average)
    Are the chip times up anywhere yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

3 stars (average)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Are the chip times up anywhere yet?

Only seems to be chiptimes up for the full, not the half or relay.

Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Half Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Half%20Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Team Relay provisional results (PDF)http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Relay%20provisional%20results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rebelrunner

4 stars (good)
    Only seems to be chiptimes up for the full, not the half or relay.

Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Half Marathon provisional results (PDF) http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Half%20Marathon%20provisional%20results.pdf

Team Relay provisional results (PDF)http://www.corkcitymarathon.ie/media/Relay%20provisional%20results.pdf

Don't think they'll have chip times for the relay as its the last runner that has the chip so its gun to chip time.
    Not sure about the half marathon. Was there a mat at the start of half marathon in mahon. If there was then there should be a chip time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 justmark

out of all the photos of the Marathon there doesn't seem to be any photos taken of section B. I ran this section, and I can't find any photos in any of the websites between Silversprings and Mahon:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)
    justmark wrote: »
    out of all the photos of the Marathon there doesn't seem to be any photos taken of section B. I ran this section, and I can't find any photos in any of the websites between Silversprings and Mahon:(

Don't feel so bad. I ran the 1/2 and am yet to find a single photo of myself :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)
    Have found one photo of myself so far, was really hoping on a finish line shot but no luck so far. Oh well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

3 stars (average)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Have found one photo of myself so far, was really hoping on a finish line shot but no luck so far. Oh well

There was a photographer at the finish and i heard the ccm official website is going to have photos up searchable by bib numbers soon
    plus i think they might have videos of the finish

I reckon they might take awhile to sort all of them tho, thats a ot of pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 vivario

4 stars (good)
    Send me your numbers lads in PM. I will check my pictures , maybe that help.

3 stars (average)
    vivario wrote: »

288 would love a finish shot if i dont look too in pain
    thanks

4 stars (good)
    elnino23 wrote: »
    288 would love a finish shot if i dont look too in pain
    thanks
    9.jpg

I hope you can find more on www.newphotostyle.com

3 stars (average)
    wow that was quick thanks man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Just back online now after the big day, I found the whole event very well run. Finished 3:36 which is a new pb so happy with that considering I didn't follow a training plan as such. Found myself in front of the 3:30 pacers by mistake as I was late getting to the start and just jumped the barriers after running from city hall! As a spur of the moment thing I decided to let them pass but stay with them for the first few miles as I felt good (possibly spurred on by adrenaline and excitement after nearly missing the start) Copped on to myself after about 4 miles that it was a bad idea to go with the sub 3:30 as I had run all my long runs with a sub 3:40 time in mind. slowed down 20 seconds per mile or so to planed pace and the race passed by without too much stress, and was actually regretting not going for the 3:30 but think the right decision was made. Really looking forward to going for the 3:2x with a proper training plan under my belt now.

Thanks to all who gave advise and tips on the run up to the race on this thread and indeed forum- a great source of info as usual.

3 stars (average)
    Haven't come across any photos either. Vivario, could you check yours for 981? Cheers.

Some vid clips up HERE now

3 stars (average)
    9.jpg

I hope you can find more on www.newphotostyle.com

Nice pics
    going to have a scan now for 3165.

4 stars (good)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Haven't come across any photos either. Vivario, could you check yours for 981? Cheers.

Some vid clips up HERE now

Here you Go! Click...

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    Woddle wrote: »
    Nice pics
    going to have a scan now for 3165.

Sorry my friend. This man was so happy. (at front of you)

10.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

3 stars (average)

Looking for 613 - Have now viewed approx. 4000 photos and found 1.

Still buzzing after the race and won't let it go!

3 stars (average)
    Sorry my friend. This man was so happy. (at front of you)

:D
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Itziger wrote: »
    That's fantastic pacing, many runners in the group with him??

I was stewarding at the first relay change-over at Silversprings (the guy with the megaphone :o) and there must have been 50 runners with Mick there. I spoke to him afterwards and he said a lot dropped off but he sent a lot on ahead of him, too. 2:59:40 is an awesome piece of running - well done Mick!

3 stars (average)
    Thanks for that, but a 'CGI Error' message comes up when I click the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

3 stars (average)

and the video's have none of the half it seems. 2388 is my number blue asics shirt. looks like a new gallery on the way up http://eagleac.net/gallery2/v/eagleac/2011+Season/cork_city_marathon/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluedoor

4 stars (good)
    Hey all. Ran the half marathon on Monday and throughly enjoyed it. It was my first time ever entering any kind of even but I will Defo be doing it again. Did it in 2.09. Not brilliant but I was happy considering I didn't do a whole lot of training. I ran it with a friend and have trawled pictures trying to find one of either of us but have had no luck. My no.was 2638 and my friends was 2641. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

4 stars (good)
    Now should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Looking for 613 - Have now viewed approx. 4000 photos and found 1.

Still buzzing after the race and won't let it go!

Here you go, taken around the 25K mark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/5812680927/in/set-72157626781407955

3 stars (average)
    Now should be ok.
    Nice one thanks, like the fact 2 feet are off the ground, the dude with the walking stick finishing behind me seems to diminish my efforts somewhat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

What a great day! I'm only running/jogging with a few months so did the relay think I definitely have the buzz !! Can't find any pictures of me or the others on the team can you search by bib number? Thanks

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    What a great day! I'm only running/jogging with a few months so did the relay think I definitely have the buzz !! Can't find any pictures of me or the others on the team can you search by bib number? Thanks
    What your number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Confused2011

Hi its 4789 I was the last leg so E4789! Thanks ive looked at hundreds and cant find any!

MY number was 4817, with four people on a relay team if you have any on the b section, great.

justmark wrote: »
    MY number was 4817, with four people on a relay team if you have any on the b section, great.

Sorry, nothing of the B leg, but here is your A leg runner:-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/5813098345/in/set-72157626781407955

and your C leg runner:-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/5813663750/in/set-72157626781407955/

Note to MODS - Is there any value in a separate - "Request your CCM photos here" thread because this thread has the potential to be swamped with requests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Some great pics there Doctorchick... Love the group one of the pacers.

I have all mine up on flickr now but don't have them all tagged for Racepix365 yet. Hopefully have it done in the next day or two. I know from speaking to others that they're in the same boat so just be patient!!!

Justmark... There's some of my pics of your 'C' Runner at the halfway marker on racepix365 - Just enter the bib number without the letter.
    The problem with the second leg is usually access to it. Apart from the tunnel bit it's also for the want of a better word 'boring' to somebody taking pics!! I took some on that section 2 years ago but I was on a motorbike and had a pass for the course so was able to travel around fairly handy. This year I went down that way and wanted to stop at the tunnel but was waved on - understandable I suppose given the contraflow in operation. (Driving a Van). Also most people will head to the Marina/Blackrock from town and can then make their way back to town thus giving themselves time and more opportunity to see people or take photos by staying fairly central to the whole thing. You'll also notice a lack of photos from Wilton/Ballyphehane/Model Farm Rd and Straight Road area for the same reason.

4 stars (good)
    Looking for 164, did a search of http://newphotostyle.com and it came back with 1164 (though looks like 164) either way its not me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluedoor

4 stars (good)
    I'm presuming there's no luck with mine lads. 2638 or 2641? Must have gone through every pic.

3 stars (average)

Great - thanks a million!

Thanks to all the photographers - some superb shots there.

3 stars (average)
    Nice one thanks, like the fact 2 feet are off the ground, the dude with the walking stick finishing behind me seems to diminish my efforts somewhat!!!

Brilliant - I was with Forrest Gump between 24 and 25 miles and I told him I was pushing on now cause I don't want to be caught in a photo with another runner in a shirt and chinos!

That's a great pic of you right at the line all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Anyone find 4130? We were a relay team.

• Advertisement

thanks for looking over the pictures, unfortunately i got the bib number mixed up a little, it was B4187 and not the 4817.

I thank you for taking your time to look for the last photos

Justmark... There's some of my pics of your 'C' Runner at the halfway marker on racepix365 - Just enter the bib number without the letter.
    The problem with the second leg is usually access to it. Apart from the tunnel bit it's also for the want of a better word 'boring' to somebody taking pics!! I took some on that section 2 years ago but I was on a motorbike and had a pass for the course so was able to travel around fairly handy. This year I went down that way and wanted to stop at the tunnel but was waved on - understandable I suppose given the contraflow in operation. (Driving a Van). Also most people will head to the Marina/Blackrock from town and can then make their way back to town thus giving themselves time and more opportunity to see people or take photos by staying fairly central to the whole thing. You'll also notice a lack of photos from Wilton/Ballyphehane/Model Farm Rd and Straight Road area for the same reason.

thanks for the update, I was guessing this myself, but there was a guy taking pictures in the middle of the road as runners were passing by between Silversprings and the Glanmire roundabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harman22

4 stars (good)
    official pictures from SportCam here

http://www.sportcam.net/competitorsearch.aspx?mode=singlerace&RId=394

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerlan

Chip times for the half are up on the site now...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 el kabong

Cerlan wrote: »
    Chip times for the half are up on the site now...

Bizarrely, the chip times for the full, which were part of the provisional results, are missing from the official results and are nowhere to be found on the site. Shouldn't an official chip time be available to all full marathon finishers?

All,

Have been fighting with lots of other things to find time to get my pictures up on my flickr account. Have a few sets up - trying to split them into different sets based on where I took the pics. Sets are: pre-start/first 100metres set, a set from Merchants Quay (approx 1 mile), Penrose Wharf (3.5 miles), the Marina/Centre Park Road (15/16 miles), the finish and a few select pics from the whole day.

Iain

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51512923@N07/sets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    Maybe most people knew this already but I hadn't realised that Cork was a Boston marathon qualifier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I finished in the minor placings in full,still no sign of my prize which I was told would be posted to me.No idea of value of prizes either as they werent advertised.

Advertisement