Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky signal wireless sender

• 04-11-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a wireless tv/satellite signal sender to send sky to another room in the house? I am looking for one that would also be able to send signal from remote control to change the sky channels also.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sneachta wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a wireless tv/satellite signal sender to send sky to another room in the house? I am looking for one that would also be able to send signal from remote control to change the sky channels also.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks

The video senders are useless, i use one and the interfearence from wifi/microwave ovens and sometimes mobile phones drives me cracked. The best way is to use a cabled magic eye.

On a note there are 4ghz senders available, but im not sure how legal they are in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

According to Comreg you may only use WiFi on 5.8GHz, there is an ! at the CE mark

So only 2.4Ghz, You can put WiFi on 1 and Video on D or Video on A and WiFi on 11 and decent ones don't interfere. Better range than 5.8GHz also
    If Microwave interferes then its door is leaking

I've tested about half a dozen. The Lidl ones are very poor and Thomson poor.
    These are good http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44469

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

watty wrote: »
    According to Comreg you may only use WiFi on 5.8GHz, there is an ! at the CE mark

So only 2.4Ghz, You can put WiFi on 1 and Video on D or Video on A and WiFi on 11 and decent ones don't interfere. Better range than 5.8GHz also

Would you recommend the above one Watty or are there better ones out there do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    What do you mean it works spot on for me and I cannot see any ! at the CE mark

• Advertisement

Ive tried all the different channel config with my wifi/video senders (wifi on 11 and video on A) but still cant get it perfect, plus the neighbours wifi etc I cant control. Ive the more expensive "Digisenders" as well.

The digisenders are overpriced. The name even is misleading snake oil. They are FM analogue, like all the others.

See http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/video-senders for more.

The 5.8GHz may work fine. That doesn't make them legal. According to specifications on Comreg's site only WiFi is allowed on 5.8GHz (802.11a and "full" 802.11n). Only 2.4Ghz video Senders listed as permitted licence free "SRD" (short range device for Video).

You can use IP video (MPEG or MJPEG) over 5.8GHz or 2.4GHz WiFi, as that is WiFi. The 5.8GHz video senders are same as 2.4GHz, Analogue FM, even if "digi" in name.

Ch D with Ch1 or Ch13 with ChA does work perfect unless the video sender is very poor. Even Ch6 and A or D should be possible with a high quality video sender.

i'll try channel 13 on wifi, but im sure ive tried this before and one laptop wont connect to the router then.

Yes, if region is US you can't go above Ch11
    That's why Ch1 and D is better.

If it doesn't work, try the Maplin ones in link as they are cheap on offer and much the best I've seen. I have also completely dismembered all of the video senders I have tested.

"Digisender" is just an expensive brand, like Monster, Belkin or "One for all".

I have found no correlation between price and quality (high or low) on many items in last few years.
    An 8 Euro earphone may be as good as 70 Euro. A 22 Euro one may be rubbish.
    Some of the "free" earphones with €2 autoscan radios are acoustically ok, just rubbish cable and uncomfortable if you have not the "suitable" shape of ear.

I bought a Mitsubishi TV 8 years ago thinking it was a "good" brand. It's a Vestel :)

Some "big brand" stuff is simply cheap chinese brands rebadged, not simply made in China. Foxconn in 486 PC days was regarded as one of worst Mobo, They make most of the Apple stuff. And Dell laptops/phones.

Even buying "prosumer" is no insurance of quality anymore. It might be snake oil maketing like "Asbestos" free oat cereal or Mercury free Alkaline Batteries (always were) or x6 life over Zinc Carbon battery (always was).

Don't get me started on Gold :(
    Or "Digital Aerials" :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Aah! yes, there's nothing like the satisfying sigh after letting rip with a good old rant. Keep on keepin' on Watty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

So i read in the maplins link that sky+/skyHD use a different set up with their remotes signal(Not Ir?) I've sky+hd and need a wireless set up for downstairs -anyone know the story?

The remote handset does a different code.

The Video senders don't care about the codes of the handset unless it's IRDA (which some UPC boxes are). Makes no difference SKy, Sky+ SkyHD.
    (Though you don't get HD, just SD).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

So i read in the maplins link that sky+/skyHD use a different set up with their remotes signal(Not Ir?) I've sky+hd and need a wireless set up for downstairs -anyone know the story?

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jpk1976

we have been using a digisender with sky plus for the last 2 years and besides initial interference with the wi fi which was sorted out by changing the router to channel 11 and experimenting with the dip switch settings on the digisender, it has been a fantastic piece of kit...you can get the 2.4 and 5.8ghz versions in argos for about 80 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

Thanks to everyone for your replies,
    Gonna try the one Watty linked to from Maplin, will let ye know how it goes,
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CockneyGirl

Carpenter wrote: »

Carpenter

How did you get it to work? I bought the same model along with a new Samsung 19" LCD TV and nothing happens when I point the Sky remote (or any other remote for that matter). It is driving me mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I got these from powercity.
    Found them to be really spotty - even down to the units themselves being orientated a certain way - and if the cat bumps one then we have to tweak it until the tv comes back.
    Which is fine - unless someone walks between the two units - and then the signal goes. I mean - how to stop that - do I mark out an area in my house and label it no-go zone???

Anyway - while it works and while they are facing the right way - brilliant.
    While...

The 5.8GHz models interfere with 802.11a and some 802.11n WiFi and some Wireless Broadband. According to Comreg's site they are illegal in Ireland.

They also have much poorer range and more directional than 2.4 GHz Video senders which are legal if they have a CE mark.

5.8GHz models are supposed to be CE ! marked, i.e. not legal in all of EC/EU

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/video-senders

• Registered Users Posts: 33 winit

I bought a welltech av sender in lidl a while ago. I use it to transmit dvd and sky box. Works brilliantly. I would highly recommend this one as I have never had any problems with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Sneachta wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for your replies,
    Gonna try the one Watty linked to from Maplin, will let ye know how it goes,
    Thanks again

You'd be better getting a 5.8ghz kit

Got a Nikkai set in Maplins a few months ago, cost about 60 quid works great

• Advertisement

Till it blocks the Neighbour's Wireless Broadband or WiFi, it's seized and you are fined.

Totally irresponsible recommending gear that is
    (a) Illegal to use here
    (b) Interferes with Fixed Wireless Broadband

It's also much poorer range.

Watty are you 100% sure about that as I bought the 5.8G in Powercity... Surely if they were illegal PC would not be allowed to sell em?

In terms of the 2.4G - my brother has been using one for a while - and everything seems to interfere with it - most especially the microwave - not sure which one it is - he also got it from PC.

However - saying that - the 5.8 one I have is a pain - it appears to be directional dependent - I have to place the units in a specific place, angled a certain way with the antenna's also pointing a set direction. And as I said above - if anyone walks between the units the signal is lost.

If there is one unit out there - reasonably priced - and ultra stable would love to know about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Taltos wrote: »
    Watty are you 100% sure about that as I bought the 5.8G in Powercity... Surely if they were illegal PC would not be allowed to sell em?

In terms of the 2.4G - my brother has been using one for a while - and everything seems to interfere with it - most especially the microwave - not sure which one it is - he also got it from PC.

However - saying that - the 5.8 one I have is a pain - it appears to be directional dependent - I have to place the units in a specific place, angled a certain way with the antenna's also pointing a set direction. And as I said above - if anyone walks between the units the signal is lost.

If there is one unit out there - reasonably priced - and ultra stable would love to know about it...

If they're the same ones they sell in Argos, small balck boxes? their rubbish and don't work I brought mine back

these are the ones I bought in Maplins http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikkai-5-8GHz-HQ-Wireless-Audio-Video-Sender-Receiver-/130464189530?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_WirelessVideoTransmitters_CA work brilliantly

Shops sell stuff that is illegal to use all the time. Might not be illegal to sell them.

CE ! on a product means NOT Universal.

Something OK in Ireland & France might not be in UK and vice -versa.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Satellite

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

The 5.8GHz may work fine. That doesn't make them legal. According to specifications on Comreg's site only WiFi is allowed on 5.8GHz (802.11a and "full" 802.11n). Only 2.4Ghz video Senders listed as permitted licence free "SRD" (short range device for Video).
    The 5.8GHz models interfere with 802.11a and some 802.11n WiFi and some Wireless Broadband. According to Comreg's site they are illegal in Ireland.
    They also have much poorer range and more directional than 2.4 GHz Video senders which are legal if they have a CE mark.
    5.8GHz models are supposed to be CE ! marked, i.e. not legal in all of EC/EU
    http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/video-senders
    Till it blocks the Neighbour's Wireless Broadband or WiFi, it's seized and you are fined.
    Totally irresponsible recommending gear that is
    (a) Illegal to use here
    (b) Interferes with Fixed Wireless Broadband

Under Commission Decision 2009/381/EC use of the 5.725 - 5.875 GHz for non-specific Short Range Devices (SRDs). This includes Video Senders! Use of the 5.725 - 5.875GHz Band is harmonised throughout the EU. In other words a "5.8GHz" Video Convertor is either legal accross the entire EU, or not at all. Comreg have confirmed compliance with this decision. The relevant Comreg regulation confirms that no registration is required.

In Plain English 5.8GHz Video Senders ARE LEGAL TO BOTH SELL AND USE IN IRELAND. They are a lot more tricky to get working well, but once set up, often outperform the 2.4GHz units.

So what date did Comreg implement compliance?

The date of the Document is May 2010, though it's version 5.

page 2
    1. Radio Frequency Plan for Ireland (Revision 1) (ComReg Document 08/90R1)
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/Comreg0890R1.pdf;
    2. Permitted Short Range Devices in Ireland (Revision 4) (ComReg Document 02/71R4)
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0271R4.pdf

Date of Entry into force 22/12/2009
    Thanks NewHillel

Updated http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/video-senders

Anyone know what frequencies they use?

Maplin has "specials" on the reasonably good 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz models in store, at least last week. Looks quite cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

i have a 5.8ghz on my sky HD box and its superior to the 2.4ghz. no interference at all on them and my broadband and next doors are all ok.
    the 2.4ghz are no good as everything in the house effects them, baby monitors wi fi and microwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

i had 2 different senders in use recently, both 2.4, a haikki ? and a televes, the reciever in both died within a couple of days, 1st the reception would go spotty, then shortly after they just died they were showing no signs of recieving power, any ideas folks.

• Advertisement

get rid and get the 5.8ghz ones. they are the best by far. get them from ebay cheap enough either

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deloryan

So, is it safe to assume that if I purchase a 5.8GHz sender from Maplins that it will work with a Sky+ box?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224299

Thanks in advance

deloryan wrote: »
    So, is it safe to assume that if I purchase a 5.8GHz sender from Maplins that it will work with a Sky+ box?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224299

Thanks in advance

Well after all the advice above I went out and picked this up today as well as another receiver unit.
    EUREKA - for the first time in ages I finally have SKY again....

So far the remote is working fine - but to be clear my Sky sub has ended and I am using an HD box as a free-to-air box.

Either way though - too all above who recommended this unit - cheers gang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Well after all the advice above I went out and picked this up today as well as another receiver unit.
    EUREKA - for the first time in ages I finally have SKY again....

So far the remote is working fine - but to be clear my Sky sub has ended and I am using an HD box as a free-to-air box.

Either way though - too all above who recommended this unit - cheers gang.

Did you pick this up in Maplin in Dublin? if so how much was it instore?

Hi Dave - yup got it in the Blanch branch - though it was not with the rest of the senders. In store the assistant brought me to another section and was trying to sell me some others until I should the photo I had stored on my phone...

I think it was 56 Euro - marked as reduced...
    So - that unit and an extra received - all told came to 99 Euro...

As far as I am concerned after months with that crappy unit from Powercity - money well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I used a 2.4GHz for a while at home, however I had to leave the wi-fi switched off when using it due to interference. Then the unit started acting up so got a 5.8GHz a couple of years ago and it's excellent, no interference apart from occasionally when someone walks right in front of the receiver and it's not difficult to set up compared to the 2.4GHz despite what has been said previously.

• Advertisement

5.8ghz are the only way to go alright. only thing i noticed that interferes with them is the joypad on your ps3. it keeps changing the channels. nothing else interferes with it at all. you can get around the ps3 problem by unplugging the wireless remote sender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I have this and It's fantastic for sending the signal upstairs ,excellent picture

I have this and It's fantastic for sending the signal upstairs ,excellent picture

Cannot disagree more - that is what I just got rid of. Was so bad that I gave up watching TV for nearly a month until I got the new unit.
    Sorry - but if offered that unit for free and a poke in the eye it would be a hard toss up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Cannot disagree more - that is what I just got rid of. Was so bad that I gave up watching TV for nearly a month until I got the new unit.
    Sorry - but if offered that unit for free and a poke in the eye it would be a hard toss up.

Well I get the signal perfect from mine ,and the HD pictures are really clear as well even though it'd not quite HD obviously ,I have never had an issue.I have just noticed that mine is Pro signal and not a Techsol like the one I showed but it's identical

Advertisement