Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I needs a new phone

Options
  • 04-11-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

At the moment i have an N97mini and want rid of it as soon as possible. It's a good phone but what is really bugging the bejaysus out of me about it is that it loses reception like a motherfecker!!! I read on the N97 thread that it has something to do with the positioning of the antenna within the phone.

I live in an area where reception is hard to come by at the best of times so having a phone with rubbish picking it up in the first place is frustrating.

My upgrade is due and i've narrowed what i want down to the following:

The Samsung i9000
    GALXC_gallery.img

HTC Desire
    DESIR_gallery.img

maybe the Nokia N8
    N8BLK_gallery.img

or a definate outsider, the SE X10 mini Pro
    X10MP_gallery.img

My real leaning is towards the Desire. But all the above phones have things i like and things i dont but really the deciding factor is reception.

So my question to you guys out there is which of the phones pick up signal best and hold onto it without any dropped calls.

My only other option is to get one of these from eBay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280564757501&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    !BzIznWgBWk~$(KGrHqEOKnQEw8ojvO2CBMUsFbVyUg~~_12.JPG

As ever, a big thanks for any and all input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Can't comment specifically on the reception.

But.

Symbian 3 is the latest version of an operating system that, IIRC, Nokia said they have no long term plans for, and has been described as dated.

SE take their sweet time with updates.

That would leave you with the desire or galaxy.

Samsung also take their time with updates, although not as slow as SE.
    (IMO) Lack of a flash on the Galaxy is a deal breaker. Some people have criticised the build quality (?) Although the screen has been highly praises.
    IIRC, the Galaxy doesn't support Over the air updates either.

Overall, i think the Desire is still the best of the four.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭masker

n8 would be the best choice , i m using desire for a good bit time, galaxy have no flash and build quality is quite low.

n8 , built quality is great, camera 12 mp great, os competes with other, nokia is putting lot of efforts to make it more effort and it will get more better in near future

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When I was recently looking for a phone, I came across a review by a guy who reviews a lot of phones and in his review of the Samsung Wave S8500, he said this:
    Voice Quality / Signal (10/10)
    Signal strength also appears to be beyond average; I get constant 3G at home with HSDPA appearing more than 50% of the time. This has not been achieved by any other phone I have reviewed to date.
    http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2010/06/samsung-wave-review/

Since he appears to review and test a lot of phones I think his findings might be of interest.

I have since bought a Wave and have been very happy with the signal strength and call quality.

The same reviewer also found the Galaxy to be very good and better than the Desire for signal strength. http://www.pda-247.com/wordpress/2010/08/battle-of-the-beasts-iphone-4-v-htc-desire-v-samsung-galaxy-s/

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

@cnocbui Thanks for the links but now i want an iPhone4!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I wouldn't mind one, but at more than twice the price of the Wave for slightly inferior hardware (screen), I couldn't see the value - not being into the App thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

cnocbui wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind one, but at more than twice the price of the Wave for slightly inferior hardware (screen), I couldn't see the value - not being into the App thing.

To be honest it is the price/value for money aspect of the iphone that has kept me away from it this long.

Had a friend staying last night and they were having as bad, if not worse probs getting reception as I am at the moment and as i said in my original post it is really a phones ability to pick up and hold onto a signal that is whats going to swing it for me. That said i had a little play with the iphone and thought it was lovely phone to use and leagues ahead the N97 that i have.

Advertisement