Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield Play4free announced

Options
  • 02-11-2010 6:50pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Producer Ben Cousins states he travelled to London to demonstrate an unannounced BF title:

https://twitter.com/benjamincousins

Apparently it's not the rumoured BF Assault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Apparently a "completely new" BF game is being announced this Friday. Rumour has it that it's a wide scale release Battlefield Online, which is a free to play Korean version of battlefield 2 with a crappy HUD but also some improvements over BF2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

seyeM wrote: »
    Apparently a "completely new" BF game is being announced this Friday. Rumour has it that it's a wide scale release Battlefield Online, which is a free to play Korean version of battlefield 2 with a crappy HUD but also some improvements over BF2.

Already mentioned here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056078066

I hope it's not the BF2 Online version. I can't imagine there'd be much interest in replaying the same maps on the same 7 year old engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Talk about flogging a dead horse!!! Instead of pissing about and re-releasing anything BF related. Why not fix and tweak BFBC2 and make it the really good shooter it so nearly is.

Seen a video for the new COD:BO aswell yesterday, I swear to god it is the exact same but different locations and a RC car bomb WTF. And the funny thing is it will sell millions of copies. No wonder piracy in the PC industry is rife with this monotonous ****e! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

http://battlefield.play4free.com/

Some kind of hybrid of BF2 and BC2 they claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just watched the video for it and it does not look half bad....I would not be surprised the FREE version is better then the games you buy knowing the way EA/DICE have a habit of fookin things up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

More details here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-05-battlefield-play4free-announced

It's got micro-transactions like Heroes did. Wonder if they'll bollocks it like they did with Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭icrusader

? who needs bf2 i am still having great fun on bf1!:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Awesome. Signed up for the Beta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I managed to get to play through the BF Online at EA's Winter Showcase on Wednesday.

For fans of the game, it looks and for a great deal plays the same as Battlefield 2. However the inclusion of some of the components from the BC series undoubtedly give the game a sense of new found freshness - so it would be unfair to just say its a case of Dice re-releasing BF2 with no pricetag.

I got the feeling that there was quite a distant yet to be travelled in terms of ironing out bugs and the like . . . however there is a long beta period to sort those issues out by the looks of it.

All in all, a very enjoyable game given the fact it is free to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

http://battlefield.play4free.com/beta.php#signup

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/05/battlefield-play4free/

New free to play BF game.

Looks like it could be kind of fun, once it keeps the main battlefield elements to it.

Another stop gap to keep interest going until BF3 anyway.

• Advertisement

Three threads on this now, so I've merged them and gone with a clearer title.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

First ive heard of this, looks like BF2 maps, Strike at Karkand to be precise?
    At a guess its a jazzed up BF2 F2P and pay for weapons etc, similar to AVA F2P fps game free to play model.
    Just thought it might interest you guys.

My bad guys, i didnt see the other threads sorry!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dcully wrote: »
    At a guess its a jazzed up BF2 F2P and pay for weapons etc, similar to AVA F2P fps game free to play model.

That is indeed the Strike at Karkand. Apparently the maps have been altered slightly to make the combat more intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Dcully wrote: »

LoL if they dont change the weapons though. The stock weapons were seriously better than the unlocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Sharqi peninsula also features in that video for sure, looks like it will be the whole game rehashed, will definitely give it a go in fairness, it is free.

I wish they would just go and redo BF42 and BFV again, get your fingers out EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

karma_ wrote: »
    I wish they would just go and redo BF42 and BFV again, get your fingers out EA.
    I'd play "1942 play4free" if the graphics were upgraded to something akin to that free one that the console player got...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Anybody else get a beta key?

Anybody else get a beta key?

Yep :)

Gonna log in this evening and give it a go. Even though I'm waiting on my BB to be installed at me new address, tethering my phone is sort of playable (albeit with a 200ms ping lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Got a key, had a go, didnt like it one little bit. Too many changes.

TheFairy wrote: »
    Got a key, had a go, didnt like it one little bit. Too many changes.

Well I tried to log in there, but the proxy server in work musn't like BF :D:D

Whats wrong with the game? What is it you don't like?

• Advertisement

BF Play4Free beta is under an NDA folks, we can't have people leaking info here. The only place allowed is the closed beta forums.

Fairy can PM me then. As were both in the beta, we can discuss privately :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I got my key too...Don't know if it was my UPC connection or the game itself but could play it for more than 5 min the lag was so bad.
    Looks very promising though ..

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Got myself a key too great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Got a key also.
    Had a few games earlier - liked it.. Won't say more than that.

See you online or over on the beta forums :)

DemoniK wrote: »
    Got a key also.
    Had a few games earlier - liked it.. Won't say more than that.

See you online or over on the beta forums :)

Is it a large install? My BB isn't working yet, so tethering my phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

not sure - took a while on my 30Mbps connection.
    I didn't watch the size

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

745Mb in my play4free folder.

Ponster wrote: »
    745Mb in my play4free folder.

Cheers.

I'll way for my BB to be installed so!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Only took a couple of minutes to get it last night.Took me a while to get into a game due to some poxy errors, wouldn't be bf with some fook ups i suppose. :D

Map was Karkand surprise suprise and i thought it was bit of fun.Only played for a while but thought it was better fun than BC. :D

Advertisement