Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness log of a big guy.

Options
  • 04-11-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,just wanted to start a thread, i guess its mostly just to keep me motivated and maybe get some advice from some boardsies!

so im a big guy, im 23, 6'5 tall and weigh 21 stone(I think, im going to weigh myself tomorrow just for the record). I guess my lifestyle was average for an overweight guy, i go to college during the day and watch TV and play games at night, the most enduring exercise i'd do all day would be walking my dogs for a half hour in the evenings, i guess food was my biggest killer tho.. I dont drink very often.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago i decided enough is enough and have started to make some major changes to my lifestyle, i've cut down on my eating quite alot and currently eat 3 healthy meals a day (At least they seem healthy) and i've joined the gym.

My plan is to go to spinning classes 3 days a week (Monday,Friday and saturday) and do a weights session on wednesdays (I've just done my first tonite... am ****ed..).

What do you guys think about spinning ? im enjoying it so far because it feels like a great workout and im geniunely quite wrecked after it but i dont feel too bad the next day and the classes have a great atmosphere. However I've talked to a few people that would be alot more into there fitness than me and they say that the benifits of spinning are only short term etc So anyone with experience losing weight by spinning, would be nice to hear !

I'll put up my wednesday workout plan next week.

My new diet consists of 3 meals.

Breakfast - bowl of all-bran with semi-skimmed milk (Half pint) and some fruit.

Launch - Usually some form of (Tuna/chicken)salad or vegetable soup - One piece of brown bread.

Dinner - Usually a bag of boiled rice/small portion of pasta | Full tin of tomatoes with a breast of chick and a mix of veggies (corn , onion or sometimes even cabage !). I like it anyway.

The only snacks i have been eating would be a piece of fruit. No junk.

Anyway, thats that, i'll update my progress and weight loss. Any advice on my diet or my workout regime would be greatly appreciated, im opening to any suggestions... the ole budget is low tho ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭mrpink6789

Hey man,

Fair play on making the decision to drop a few pounds. Just over a year ago I was 21 stone so I know what it's like to have a big task ahead of you.

Your diet looks like you are starving yourself a little maybe? Have a look in the stickies in the fitness forum, they will be able to tell you how many calories yopur body needs for maintenance, just subtract 500 from this and you are good to go for losing weight.

Plus what I have found is a treat now and again will keep you going so dont rule out everything completely! You dont drink much so you should already find it a bit easier then I did because I love my pints! :P

Fair play on the spinning class, I never did one before. I started off by just going for a walk a couple of miles a night, moved myself up to some weights and the cross trainer after that and now I'm on a stronglifts 5X5 program with some high intensity training + kettlebells - you'll mix it up every so often.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

hey - great to hear your making an effort to get in to shape. im not sure how fit you are at the moment - if you are not fit, spinning classes may be a little too much too soon, particularly 3 nights a week. they are great and as they are instrutor led so motivation isnt a problem so long as you get to the class to begin with. If you feel you are fit enough I still wouldnt do 3 a week as you will likely strain one or both of your knees due to the repetitive nature of the movements. Maybe try and mix it up your cardio with other classes too - would you be into cardio kickboxing/bootcamp kind of stuff? not sure how much time you have but i would mix it up something like this:

Monday: Cardio
    Tuesday: Resistance workout with dumbbells
    Wednesday: Cardio
    Thursday: Resistance workout with dumbbells
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Cardio
    Sunday: Resistance workout with dumbbells

start off with light weights and high reps with the weights and mix up the cardio so your not doing the same thing all of the time - this will make it less boring for you.

weigh yourself once a week, suggest a Monday morning first thing as it will give you incentive through the weekend so as not to fall off the wagon!

Anyway these are just some suggestions - at the end of the day its up to you, best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys.

As for the dieting, i dont think im starving myself, been eating the same sort of meals for a couple of weeks now and dont really feel hungry. I will diffo have to get the calculator out tho and get an accurate estimate of how much calaries im taking in etc.

My current exercise plan is

Monday: Spinning
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Weight training (I'll post my workout details tomorrow)
    Thursday: Rest
    Friday: Spinning
    Saturday: Spinning
    Sunday: Rest

I also do a 45 minute walk each day with the dogs (Except wednesdays).

I'll see how it goes for a few weeks, but atm i think its grand tbh, i will have a wee look at the other classes and stuff going on at the gym, and maybe mix them up a bit. My timetable at college gives me quite a bit of spare time.

I'll do as you suggested and weigh myself on mondays ! It'll keep me right when the rest of the family are ordering their sunday takeaway !!!! Skinny bastards !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

just my opinion, but i'd consider dropping one spinning class for a weights class... i can't think of any real reason other than "it's more balanced" but i can't define that. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭here to be trained

how are things going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement