Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right, I'm due to go to a stag weekend in Galway City next weekend.....

• 04-11-2010 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭

My first post on this board. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the city but have never actually went out in it (went to college in Dublin for a few years, had a few nights out in Limerick and had stag weekends in Waterford and Kilkenny)....what should I be looking out for that particular weekend (November 12 and 13), what bars/clubs would come highly recommended and what sort of policy have the hotspots regards stag dos? We're a crowd of GAA lads up from Wexford for the weekend FWIW*

*my attendance very much depends on how my club fairs in the Leinster club championship this weekend!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Stag wise - Skeff pub & Karma club are stag friendly. Karma would not top my list of clubs though.
    Popular club - Halo - could be dicey getting in. I know they don't allow hen parties with any daft stuff on though which kills the fun :D
    Quays - live music club upstairs - gets a mid 20's onwards crowd
    Kings Head is a good bar, as is The Dail imo

What are ye looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Stage door in woodquay is great craic especially if your on the pull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I suppose more along the lines of where the locals would tend to go, where the best craic is to be had like :D I'm probably going to be the youngest of the gang (I'm 22 the rest are mid to late 20's) so I'd be edging more towards just the generally most popular spots

eagle10 wrote: »
    Stage door in woodquay is great craic especially if your on the pull

Forgot to mention it's a big gaa pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I'd say CPs sounds like the place for ye
    it's a cattlemart nightclub BTW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Halo definitely supersedes CP's as the local meatmarket for weekends though :D

I'll make sure to check them out so,cheers lads!! In general though would the city as a whole live up to the reputation of being good craic? I've been to the Races a few times and I have relations in Athenry so would visit quite regularly but as I said I've never sampled it's nightlife

Glad we could help dont forget the stage door great craic and your gauranteed to pull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dali art

Glad we could help dont forget the stage door great craic and your gauranteed to pull!
    Is that not a gay bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭ciano1

Dali art wrote: »
    Is that not a gay bar?

You'd think it would be called 'The Back Door' if that was the case!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Dali art

ciano1 wrote: »
    You'd think it would be called 'The Back Door' if that was the case!
    True but maybe its a ploy to lure people in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

My first post on this board. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the city but have never actually went out in it (went to college in Dublin for a few years, had a few nights out in Limerick and had stag weekends in Waterford and Kilkenny)....what should I be looking out for that particular weekend (November 12 and 13), what bars/clubs would come highly recommended and what sort of policy have the hotspots regards stag dos? We're a crowd of GAA lads up from Wexford for the weekend FWIW*

*my attendance very much depends on how my club fairs in the Leinster club championship this weekend!!

Try teh Galway Shawl. a lively spot. friendly people within.

Dali art wrote: »
    Is that not a gay bar?

Just found out about Stage Door there now Eagle.....sly enough of ya :D I did say we were GAA lads not GAY though!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just found out about Stage Door there now Eagle.....sly enough of ya :D I did say we were GAA lads not GAY though!!!

Sure it's the same thing isn't it.

O Connells in Eyre square wouldn't be a bad place to start off and if it is fine they have a lovely beer garden out the back. From there anywhere down around shop street and quay street will be hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭03046290

I second O'Connells great pub right on eyre square.

Skeff is ok but I HATE karma.

The front door is a great spot for stag parties etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 quagmire78

Anywhere down quay st and you'll be grand cos thats where most the nightlife is. Ye should probably split into smaller groups when you're going into pubs and clubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Front Door is a great spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

O'Connells,Sally Longs,Kings Head and if your still standing after that then head to The Roisin Dubh. Sorted.

Night Clubs arent worth the €10 anymore, too crowded etc IMO Late Bars are where it's at.I know my mates and I are doing the above on Saturday for the Ireland V South Africa Game.

03046290 wrote: »
    I second O'Connells great pub right on eyre square.

Skeff is ok but I HATE karma.

The Skeff just scrapes OK, Karma is useless. Love O'Connells especially if we have been freezing our arses off at the Sportsground beforehand, OP O'Connells is the Connacht Rugby Supporters Bar.

what should I be looking out for that particular weekend (November 12 and 13), what bars/clubs would come highly recommended and what sort of policy have the hotspots regards stag dos?

Dont forget the pubs will be wedged as the 13th sees Ireland play Samoa at 14:30PM Kick Off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

where are ye staying ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Head to Kelly's Bar on Bridge St, used to be The Living Room. Good music, good crowd. No cover charge, upstairs has a dance floor after midnight. Late opening.

The Skeff is a depressing, shabby dump. Avoid.

hondasam wrote: »
    where are ye staying ?

3967597369_7757d6b0f4.jpg

Good deal going here sea views B&B only 29pps

3967597369_7757d6b0f4.jpg

Good deal going here sea views B&B only 29pps

nice passion wagon :)

Cheers for all the suggestions lads, O'Connell's sounds like a right spot anyway.....I think we got a cheap deal in Eyre Square Inn for the two nights,handy enough central location and whatnot....

We're a crowd of GAA lads up from Wexford for the weekend FWIW*

is galway the place to be this weekend with all the gay lads from wexford

hondasam wrote: »
    We're a crowd of GAA lads up from Wexford for the weekend FWIW*

is galway the place to be this weekend with all the gay lads from wexford

I'll take that as a warning.
    Wont venture into town this weekend

I'll take that as a warning.
    Wont venture into town this weekend

we will have to wait and see how the get on. Im sure he will give us an update next week.

Ms-Gay-Wexford-flyer1.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement