Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SignMeToRoadrunner

Options
  • 04-11-2010 6:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/

Yup lads,just wondering if anyones checked this site out,I noticed it a few weeks back it seems like a decent platform for bands/artists to promote some stuff and to check out local and national acts.Not too sure what to make of the whole Roadrunner endorsed aspect of it but the site in general looks like a good idea to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hmmm, yes, I think sites like this are primarily used to advertise the labels which host them, and to foster brand loyalty among users/artists, essentially the same thing with the Sony Vox submission page which has since closed down or Parlaphones demo submission site. I'd wonder how many bands if any get signed through them though I'm not discounting the possibility that these sites serve such a function. Also terms and conditions contracts are important to read just in case one grants them too many rights to ones music ie derivative works (I hope to be stand corrected on the derivative works clause oneday as its annoying on loads of sites).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Uploading tracks-"we own your soul":pac:

The concept is good though,I had heard about those others you mentioned before but never checked them out for some reason or another.Some decent stuff up here...

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Main idea is to find new talent. There are no issues over derivative works - your music is your own.

This site is only just relaunched as the old one just couldn't handle the traffic so they spent a lot of time effort and money rebuilding the whole thing.

Actual A+R people from Roadrunner listen to the music so if ever there was a real chance to get your tunes heard by the right people this is it!

Main idea is to find new talent. There are no issues over derivative works - your music is your own.

This site is only just relaunched as the old one just couldn't handle the traffic so they spent a lot of time effort and money rebuilding the whole thing.

Actual A+R people from Roadrunner listen to the music so if ever there was a real chance to get your tunes heard by the right people this is it!

What are derivative works? Could they not get one of their established acts to reproduce the song almost exactly except for 6 notes, hence constituting a derivative work but not one which violates copyright?

What are derivative works? Could they not get one of their established acts to reproduce the song almost exactly except for 6 notes, hence constituting a derivative work but not one which violates copyright?

Eh, no for several reasons. Why the hell would they want to do that? They want to find new bands to sign to their label. Hence the name.

It would be easier to sign a new band than try and coerce an existing band to rip somebody off.

• Advertisement

Eh, no for several reasons. Why the hell would they want to do that? They want to find new bands to sign to their label. Hence the name.

It would be easier to sign a new band than try and coerce an existing band to rip somebody off.

Considering the costs in promoting a new band wouldn't it be easier just to get a willing established act to copy a song?

Considering the costs in promoting a new band wouldn't it be easier just to get a willing established act to copy a song?

Considering the legal costs of copyright defense in court, not really.

Considering the legal costs of copyright defense in court, not really.

I take your point, however why then do they have that term in their contracts?

I take your point, however why then do they have that term in their contracts?

Which term?

Which term?

derivative works

• Advertisement

The only mentions of derivative works in the signmeto Terms and Conditions relate to software piracy and concern only the systems that run the site rather than any content on the site.

http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/terms_and_conditions

If you look under LIMITED LICENSE TO CONTENT:

Roadrunner claims no ownership interest in any of the Content (including, without limitation, master recordings, artwork and photographs) posted by you on Sign Me To, and the copyright to all such Content shall remain with its original owner.

The only mentions of derivative works in the signmeto Terms and Conditions relate to software piracy and concern only the systems that run the site rather than any content on the site.

http://signmeto.roadrunnerrecords.com/terms_and_conditions

If you look under LIMITED LICENSE TO CONTENT:

Roadrunner claims no ownership interest in any of the Content (including, without limitation, master recordings, artwork and photographs) posted by you on Sign Me To, and the copyright to all such Content shall remain with its original owner.

Roadrunner are ok, incidentally I was reading through their contract yesterday, its sites like Facebook, Bandcamp and Parlaphone that come to mind.

Roadrunner are ok, incidentally I was reading through their contract yesterday, its sites like Facebook, Bandcamp and Parlaphone that come to mind.

Facebook definitely have very dodgy copyright/ownership terms. Haven't seen the Parlophone site so can't comment.

Advertisement