Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows boot choices & SSD mounting query

Options
  • 04-11-2010 9:11am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

Background
    Just completing a HTPC/Media storage build. Looking at a Silverstone case with a whatever m/board, 4 gig, dual 2.9 CPU, BR drive, GT9600 and 6 1.5TB drives.

I installed W7 Home Premium 32bit and then availed of the student edition of W764 Pro which I needed to fresh install as W would not allow an upgrade of a 32bit to 64bit system. All fine.
    Now when I start the PC I get to choose which operating system to use upon startup, you might think this is a little niggle however when the PC is hooked up to my projector the projector does not display the pre-windows part of the boot sequence so I have a long wait until W7 is automatically selected, very annoying.

How I can get windows to boot W7 automatically???

Second query.
    Looking at getting a SSD drive to improve boot times but am a SSD virgin, I want to mount it in a spare optical drive bay as I'm not going to cede one of my 6 1.5TB drive (need storage!!).
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a reasonable priced suitable adaptor kit to allow me to mount as described.
    PS Looking at this drive, 60gig for around a ton sterling, and welcome any comments...

Thanks in advance
    S1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

heres a nice little video to help you get rid of the dual boot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipwB-JUWcmQ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks, any comment on this SSD, looks like I'll be getting a few bits and bobs so another HW order is on the cards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

For the SSD I am not sure if a 2.5" to 5.25 Drive bay adapters exist and if so they may not be all that common, so you may need to use a 2.5" to 3.5" mounting bracket and then place that in a 3.5 to 5.25 mounting bracket.

A bit of a roundabout solution but it will be fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

slave1 wrote: »
    Thanks, any comment on this SSD, looks like I'll be getting a few bits and bobs so another HW order is on the cards

That one is ok but there are better around, you should be able to get the Corsair F60 or the 60Gb OCZ Vertex 2 (both use the very latest Sandforce SF1200 controllers) for very little more that that Kingston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

• Advertisement

thanks for all the feedback, looks like a choice between a OC or HW order then for the SSD drive + adaptor

Ended up with the 60Gb OCZ and adaptor from OC, ordered Friday and received yesterday, the OCZ came with a 3.5inch adaptor which I obviously didn't need and the 2.5inch to 5.25inch adaptor was very sturdy and came with dampening 'washers' and 'strips' to keep the SSHD steady.
    Disconnected my existing OS hard drive, booted a Vista 32 then then W7 64 (upgrade disc) install and all fine and dandy, reconnected the old OS hard drive and formatted it so no 'alternative versions of windows selection' on DOS boot anymore.
    Windows itself takes about 25 seconds to reach desktop stage and scored 7.3 on that Windows performance test thingy.
    After OS there's less than half the space remaining but that won't be an issue for me as it will just be AVG/FFox/Codecs and XBMC.

All in all a good result, cheers.
    Now to get it networked :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

My SSD just sits on the DVD drive I think! Couldn't find a kit at the time for it, and honestly I don't think it's needed.

God bless these tiny little awesome drives.

Advertisement