Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter League 2010/11

• 04-11-2010 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

With the Winter League returning tonight, I thought it *might* be a good idea to start a thread so that any of us posting on boards can have a chat about the runs, keep an eye out for each other...that sort of thing.

For those who don't know about it, this is probably Waterford's biggest social scene and is recession-proof...almost. It's aimed at the occasional runner, novice runner, beginner...or even a walker. It doesn't matter how fit you are or are not, this is where it all begins. There will always be many competitors who fit into the same bracket as you. Each year, around 800 take to the roads, running either the 2-mile route or the 4-mile route and it's great fun. There are prizes at the end of the series, but the good thing is that they don't necessarily apply to the fastest runner. They are for the most improved over the series. Full details can be found on www.waterfordac.com

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to get out of the house on a Thursday evening, who wants to meet new people or see old faces, or who just wants to get fit. You can register tonight at the RSC from 6pm onwards. It costs €5 a night, or €40 for the series (includes a t-shirt at the end of the series).

Hope to see many of you there...maybe even the boards.ie footballers might like to increase their fitness levels?

To start the ball-rolling, I'll be wearing number 506 and doing the 4-mile route :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

What time does it start at? I've had a look at the waterford ac page but I cant see a start time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It starts at 7pm, but you would want to be there much earlier to get parking. I park in Superquinn, as it's easier to get out after the run. Registration tonight starts at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all doing the league, it's a great motivator to keep training during the winter months, and there's a great atmosphere at it. I can't sign up for the full 12 nights, due to picking up a bit of an injury, but hope to get there for a few nights, at some stage.

Don't park in the RSC - I made that mistake last year, and it was manic trying to get out. Superquinn, or the Tyre Centre across from the RSC are much handier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

planning on starting this tonight, really looking foward to it, going to start off with the 2mile then change to the 4mile in a couple of weeks (all going well!). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

thats a sensible plan sarah thats how numerous people start .
    best of luck to everyone tonight

i wonder when the first irate driver will ring billy macarthy complaining about the hordes of illuminous wearing runners blocking up all the roads:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

SUNGOD wrote: »
    thats a sensible plan sarah thats how numerous people start .
    best of luck to everyone tonight

i wonder when the first irate driver will ring billy macarthy complaining about the hordes of illuminous wearing runners blocking up all the roads:D

I just drove past them coming down Paddy Browns road and they weren't blocking any traffic,fairplay to them it was starting to rain too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 agpas

Was wondering does anybody from Woodstown/Passage East area takes part in the Winter League 2010/11. I would love to join in but a bit of a trouble with getting in and out of the town on Thursday nights. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭araic88

I missed it last week (haven't been before) is it too late to start? I think I can safely say I'd be in the slowest group, or near it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

araic88 wrote: »
    I missed it last week (haven't been before) is it too late to start? I think I can safely say I'd be in the slowest group, or near it :p

No it's not too late, you can still join and pay €40 for the remaining 11 nights, or €5 per night if you can't make them all.....results from week one are now up on the website too

Disappointed with my effort on the first night. That effing hill killed me! I'm back in training now, so a better effort is needed this Thursday ;) Can't be much worse really.

• Advertisement

Bump.....

Many on here still doing this? Looks like we will have a better night weather wise tonight than last week. Also it's not too late to join up, €35 for the remaining 10 nights or €5 per night.....

newportwex wrote: »
    Bump.....

Many on here still doing this? Looks like we will have a better night weather wise tonight than last week. Also it's not too late to join up, €35 for the remaining 10 nights or €5 per night.....

Still doing it...and training in between in an effort to get better. Managed to improve by 4 mins last week, though my first run was a shocker anyway. Tonight should tell me more. Ideally, I'd like to improve each week, but the Christmas break is a killer. Intentions to run over the break never quite work out. How are you doing?

gscully wrote: »
    Still doing it...and training in between in an effort to get better. Managed to improve by 4 mins last week, though my first run was a shocker anyway. Tonight should tell me more. Ideally, I'd like to improve each week, but the Christmas break is a killer. Intentions to run over the break never quite work out. How are you doing?

Same as yourself actually, decent improvement last week mainly due to the handicap system kicking in which eased the congestion at the start. First year doing it and am very impressed by the organisation and general buzz that it generates.....

Tonight will be my first night there, work has kept me away so far. Hopefully I can do a few of them over the next 10 weeks :) It'll be my first race type event since starting running last january. Hopefully I wont have to walk too much of it :)

I even drove up that 'effin' hill today to see how bad it was. Not too bad the first time around I'm sure but the second time will probably kill me. All downhill from there though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Found it a bit tough meself tonight, think I started a bit too fast and it killed me in the end! Going up Ashe Road the second time is a killer but you would get a burst of energy at the top of Paddy Brownes road with it all downhill.

Can't wait to wake up in the morning stiff as a poker! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

how did everyone get on tonight?? I found it a little bit tough, thought it might have been the colder whether, or could be just one of those nights.

I did'nt find it too bad in the end but the hill is a killer the second time around for sure! Plain sailing though from walsh park to the end though :) I even managed to beat my goal time of 40mins :) Roll on next time!

Enjoyed it tonight. Flew the first lap but inevitably tired on the second hill. Kept it steady from there and knocked about 90 secs off last week. Down to 36:43 now. All the training is paying off :) Hope to keep improving now, though I will have to learn how to nail that second hill.

1000th post!! Woo-hoo!

Another good night last night, weather couldn't have been better really. Handicaps seem to be fairly accurate now with big groups finishing together which is good craic and helps you on that tough lap of the track at the end.....

Lol I thought I was last, I kept looking behind me to see if there was anyone else behind me!
    Maybe next time my handicap will be sorted so I can finish with people in my own time(38mins)

• Advertisement
Advertisement