Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Headaches/Migraines

Options
  • 04-11-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

OH is 18 weeks gone and has recently been getting some very bad headaches (she is reluctant to label them as migraines) and they are preventing her from sleeping.
    She does not want to take paracetamol but they are causing so much grief that she is considering it.

Has this happened to anybody else and if so, what natural methods can be used to help this?

I've suggested that it could be from dehydration or lack of sugar, but she disagrees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Bad headaches can be caused by many things. She really should see a doctor about them.

Hunger can bring on headaches and lack of sleep can bring on headaches.

I get migraines from lack of sleep, loud noises and certain strong smells. As for natural method to prevent these best bet is for her to see the doctor to rule out any medical condition that is causing headaches.

If you are concerned and she wont go to gp over bad headaches then go with her on her next anti-natal visit and mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi there,
    I am currently 14 1/2 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with migraines also. I would have had migraines in the past but in my early pregnancy I was getting at least one a week where I could barely lift my head off the pillow and would be vomitting!
    I went to my doctor about 6 weeks ago who told me that they are common enough during pregnancy and most likely due to hormonal changes.
    I did however find that I would get quite thirsty in the hours before the migraine would come on so I have been trying to drink a lot more water and thankfully I havent had one for a couple of weeks now.
    She did tell me to go back to her if they persisted but told me to take paracetamol. She said that taking 4 doses of 2 tablets in 24 hours would do no harm.
    Hope your OH is feeking better soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Op, did your oh suffer from migraines before pregnancy?

I was plagued with terrible headaches from 12-20 weeks. From what I'd read I thought it was just part if pregnancy and I'd just have to put up with it. The hospital were quite dismissive but my gp took a look at my back and shoulders and said I needed to
    start getting massage done regularly as my back was full of knots and tension which would only get worse as I got heavier.

The back problem was pre pregnancy but it never occured to me that the headaches and my back problems were related. Before I'd get a headache every Thursday like clockwork and it would last for 2 or 3 days and I'd usually spend Saturday afternoon lying in a dark room. Since getting massage once a week I get the occasional headache but nothing compared to the previous frequency or intensity.

I'm not saying your oh's headaches are related to back problems but perhapsit's not just something she has to put up with as part of pregnancy and there might be another cause. Get her to speak to her gp and perhaps consider alternative remedies such as acupuncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I got really awful headaches on first pg 4 yrs ago. I saw an acupuncturist who recommended avoiding certain foods and gave me some treatments. No more headaches.
    I didn't really suffer in last pg, but this time again and again it was linked to food.
    Oranges, tomatoes and acid food first time, this time milk chocolate or lack of food really affected me badly. When i ate choc I got bad acid and followed by bad bad bad headache - 2 days. I was getting acid anyways and i found it hard to eat when it happened and then i would get a headache.
    Nelsons mineral salts did help, as did lilipops for the acid, both all natural. sleep is great, but with 2 smallies not always poss.
    Oh, I should mention that first time was a boy and boy again this time.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Op, did your oh suffer from migraines before pregnancy?
    She didn't, which is why I would assume it is related to the pregnancy.

Thanks for the tips folks, I will get her to try these things and relay back to you all.

• Advertisement

Just to say its all well and good people giving you their expereinces but you don't know exactly what is causing your wife's bad headaches, is it not best to get some medical advice?

A person i know had bad headaches and it turned out their kidneys were failing, they never had bad headaches in their life.

You cant be a 100% sure it's pregnancy related until she talks to a doctor, for the headaches to be keeping her awake all night she must be in some pain. The docs can prescribe painkillers if needs be and source the reason for the headaches, it may well be down to hormones from pregnancy, but do you really want to take the risk?

Better safe than sorry!

Just to say its all well and good people giving you their expereinces but you don't know exactly what is causing your wife's bad headaches, is it not best to get some medical advice?

I know, but we don't have the money to go to the doctor everytime she gets a headache, or a tummy ache that could just be gas. And we already brought it up with the consultant and she shrugged it off.

So I thought I would see if anybody else endured something similar, impliment their solution, and if that fails, then take it further with the doctor.

^^^^ totally agree grindelwald. Talk to your gp. I did find the hospital quite dismissive; they're too busy to give the time to looking into it. They have a room full of pregnant women to see in a short space of time.

My main point was not to just assume it's something you have to put up with through pregnancy.

Good luck to your oh op.

I know, but we don't have the money to go to the doctor everytime she gets a headache, or a tummy ache that could just be gas. And we already brought it up with the consultant and she shrugged it off.

So I thought I would see if anybody else endured something similar, impliment their solution, and if that fails, then take it further with the doctor.

Is she entitled to free gp during pregnancy if she's not doing combined care? I'm on combined care so I get free gp visits for pregnancy related things. You should check out if she's eligible. I agree, €50 is a lot to spend on a gp visit if they don't take it seriously. Luckily my gp recently had a baby and had back trouble so she was very thorough.

I know, but we don't have the money to go to the doctor everytime she gets a headache, or a tummy ache that could just be gas.

That's what we thought we out daughter, 1 day a tummy pain, another day she would wet the bed(straight after my 3rd was born put it down to stress of another new baby), another day she was tired. There were many logical explanations of her occasional illness, viral infection, tummy bug, nothing to see the doctor about, but they were all part of the bigger picture, one we didn't see until it was nearly too late. They were all signs of diabetes, but on there own they seemed insignificant - nothing to bother the doctor with or waste 50€ on. She was going into a diabetic coma when we brought her to the g.p, she nearly died on us. I will never ever make that mistake again

The person whose kidneys were failing died 4 months later! That was my dad. He thought they were only migraine's and wouldn't bother the doctor.

(at least with the check ups, they test the urine for blood in it and check her bp so its not likely to be a problem with her kidneys )

Im just saying

Better safe than sorry!

• Advertisement

Ok, well I've gotten her to try and nap in the afternoon, or at the very least have a lye down, and we are seeing a considerable improvement already.

Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

Im nealry 20 weeks, and have been suffering with these badly . I was at hospital today for a vist, and Doc told me it can was normal in pregnancy .He did check my blood pressure first though. Maybe get you oh to see her gp, as everyone is different .

Grrr, that makes me so mad. Headaches can increase during pregnancy but it's so disheartening to have them just dismissed as part of the process and something you have to put up with.

If the doc and the hospital are being generally dismissive I'd look into acupuncture, reflexology or pre-natal massage and see what works for you.

I get massage once a week which has helped heaps and I honestly think I would've gone insane if I still had to put up with 2-3 day headaches every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 3roken

I got REALLY bad headaches around 12 weeks, couldnt move my head without it hurting.

Lying in the dark with a cold wet teatowel on your forehead can help. Also, drinking ginger tea can ease them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

hi your doc is free when your preg.she should get checked if only to make her feel better ,prob something simple and she can take parcetamol during prec best of luck.dont forget doc are free when your preg:D

Advertisement