Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horses

Options
  • 04-11-2010 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

With Winter approaching I am wondering if the situation regarding neglected horses, in Galway, is any better or worse. Are there still as many horses on waste ground, verges etc & is this in one area of the City or spread around ?.

Mods: Please could you not move this post to API as my question is purely for the Galway City area. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I drove past a few horses/ponies yesterday beside the halting site on the Curragh Line. The weather was horrible as you know and they looked miserable. There was no shelter for them. The land there is very flat and exposed to the elements and the actual ground that they are is water-logged and it has very little grass on it. Definitely not enough to sustain 3 or 4 ponies. The Shetland pony (which is approximately the size of a big dog) looked very under-nourished. I felt really sorry for the poor thing. It's completely unacceptable that the "owners" can get away with blatant abuse of their animals. Thousands of cars must drive past there every day. Obviously they don't care who sees their neglected animals because they are not answerable to anyone.

I read in the Advertiser that Niall O'Brolchain (page 58 Nov 4th 2010) is calling on the council to create a register. I really hope he sees it through and fair play to him for raising the matter at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I read in the Advertiser that Niall O'Brolchain (page 58 Nov 4th 2010) is calling on the council to create a register. I really hope he sees it through and fair play to him for raising the matter at least.

Of course the next step is to start seizing unregistered horses, and destroying those that cannot be re-homed. Somehow I think that's gonna upset some of ye.

Personally I would prefer to see an animal put out of its misery that be starved and neglected in general. They would die eventually anyway. There's a few humans I'd like to see put down too i.e. the owners of these abused animals. Of course re-homing the horses would be the best thing but that's not easy I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The problem at the moment is no one is held accountable. Even if Galway were declared a "Controlled Area" it would up to the Council to implement enforcement. If you can identify an owner then you can prosecute them.

Yes there would be every possibility that horses might end up being destroyed but it might prevent further horses suffering. The real key is whether the Council have the guts to police it. My guess is that they won't & may vote against any legislation to avoid having to do so.

I am trying to find out if this problem is confined to one area of the City or other areas. Are there many horses on the Eastern side ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

If any of us mistreadted a horse or any other animal we would be approached by the gspca.
    If any of us robbed any carried out many other illegal activities like these people with the horses we would be summonsed.

If galway was declared a "controlled area" it would exempt certain people.

I suggest informing the gspca and see would they act, I'd say they wont and I couldn't really blame them.

It's awfull to see any animal mistreated but unfortunetly SOME people CAN do what they want.

Double standards suck

• Advertisement

They Council can exclude anyone from being subjected to the Act.

(2) Bye-laws made under this section shall not apply to such class or classes of persons or in such circumstances as may be specified in the bye-laws.

Would they really have the nerve !

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Subject to the act or not THEY will not be touched it's disgusting.

Whats more disgusting is how the animals are been mistreated maybe a phonecall to Keith Finnegan may help?

IMO Kieth Finnegan is only interested in Kieth Finnegan. I have phoned Galway bay Fm in the past about horses being on the roads and they don't even bother to read it out; in terms of warning motorists. If it was a whale or a dolphin or something exotic washed up on a Galway beach then GB FM would be all over it like a cheap suit. He wants to sell advertising space at the end of the day. Again, that's just my opinion but I really wouldn't hold my breath. The law needs to change. People have to be forced to become accountable. If I parked my car for an hour on a public green it would be lifted. I would have to pay a heavy fine to get it back and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    If you can identify an owner then you can prosecute them.

But if they've been prosecuted a few dozen times before for all manner of offences, done a few lags, got the contacts to get cash to pay fines, and got a reputation that makes community service unsuitable (ie no one with a community project will have 'em on site), then prosecution just takes up garda and court time, without delivering any benefit.

People mistreat animals because they don't know any better, and 'cos they've been mistreated themselves. We need to find ways to get inside "their" heads and change the thought patterns.

Even if you personally believe in the death penalty, it's so far out of step with public thinking in Ireland that it's just not going to happen.

JustMary wrote: »
    People mistreat animals because they don't know any better, and 'cos they've been mistreated themselves. We need to find ways to get inside "their" heads and change the thought patterns.
    With all due respect JustMary I think it's your kind of thought pattern that needs to change somewhat. Yes, people can be stupid and ignorant but excueses cannot be made for everything. I know it's wrong to abuse an animal; not because I'm educated about it but because I am a sentient being. Now unless these people are not human they should be capable of the same thought processes. I don't want to get into an argument about this but one has to be responsibile for one's actions.

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    But if they've been prosecuted a few dozen times before for all manner of offences, done a few lags, got the contacts to get cash to pay fines, and got a reputation that makes community service unsuitable (ie no one with a community project will have 'em on site), then prosecution just takes up garda and court time, without delivering any benefit.

Even if you personally believe in the death penalty, it's so far out of step with public thinking in Ireland that it's just not going to happen.

I don't believe in the death penalty - but I suspect that a majority would vote for it.

If you really think that one could educate these people in horse care you must be bonkers :). They have been "caring" for horses for generations. Some people do mistreat from ignorance but that is not an excuse for not providing the basics of food, water & shelter. Some are mistreating because of their "economic situation" even though they have a Merc & new Van.

The Act allows for an owner to have his animals removed & to be banned from keeping any more. The other penalties are up to a €1500 fine and or 6 months in jail. It also gives strong powers to the Gardai - if they choose to use them.

I am not optimistic about any of this but something may be better than nothing. If the Council implement the Act they make more work for themselves - are they going to do that ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Nothing breaks my heart more than animals in pain.There is never an excuse to dump an animal.

Some of the people who do it deserve every bad thing that comes their way.

Advertisement