Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2 vs Bad Company

Options
  • 04-11-2010 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Never really played BF Bad Company until recently, and having been a BF2 addict for years (and played my fair share of boards games), I was seriously disappointed when I finally did, particularly after there's a fairly active BC2 vs MW2 mindset out there. I don't know what I was expecting, but honestly, I turned it off after an hour, only playing for that long in the hope of it improving....which it didn't, in my opinion. What happened the huge maps, 64 players, waves of jeeps/APC/Tanks/Helis/transports full of troops attacking each other.....playing BC2 was like Playing Medal of Honor with a vehicle or two thrown in. And I do love Medal of Honor, incidentally, but I never had any expectations of that game other than it to be an action FPS.

The only reason I ask is that BC2 seems to be a favourite amongst the BF community, but I just don't get it, exactly, coming from Battlefield 2....there's no sense of scale, it doesn't feel....like a Battlefield in the conventional sense, frankly, just another fairly straight up localized FPS.

Just curious to hear from those massive BF2 fans as to what draws them to BC2 over BF2 (age of said game aside).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, the only thing letting BFBC2 down is the maps. They are too small and not enough of them. Everything else is better then BF2 IMHO, obviously its hard to discuss the two games evenly as the technology has evolved in repsect of game engines etc. And to say that BFBC2 looks and sounds alot better then BF2 would not be fair as the tech was not around for BF2 to look any different (if if it was very bland looking to be fair)

I think what made BF2 such a good game was that it was way ahead of its time and TBH it was done right.....it did exactly what it said on the tin. Large scale battles with a hell of alot of peeps, it did have its flaws and bugs but it was brilliant.

I dont class BFBC2 as a BF game so to speak, its more of a stop gap to BF3. And I do think that if DICE/EA mess up BF3 they will ruin the whole BF series.....there is an awful lot riding on this game, and I do think there is a gap in the market for the BF series to be the "WOW" of FPS games and really make itself the number 1 game if done right!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Battlefield 2 hands down, for me.

I played BC2 also, but got tired of it after a while - compared to over 500 hours of Bf2. :o

It's over five years since Bf2 was released and, in my opinion, nothing has come even close to it.

Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I think it's very simple really ..BC2 is made with the Console generation in mind.
    I don't think you could have the same scale of players on the xbox and ps3 that you had on BF2.
    It's the maps that let BC2 down. two small and too many bottlenecks where people camp. I played last night and it was literally snipers v snipers with no other classes. They should have a Day of Defeat type system limiting the number of each class type.

A class limit would be great, and while I love BF2 I still prefer BFBC2 but I think its mostly how the game looks and feels with the UBER sound effects and destructable enviroments that has me more over then actual game itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BF2 > BF2142 > BF1942 > BFBC2 > BFV > BFH

IMO :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

But if they limited the AN94 & the M60 you'd be in trouble Wonda-Boy. :D

The class limiting just ended up with more noobtubers running around because the rubbish snipers had to find something for their skill level. And prevented people like me from using the scout class to get up close & personal with the thompsons/C4/motion sensors.

Its the lack of maps that killed BC2 for most people. But it was fun for long enough that I'll get Vietnam providing they don't charge a stupid price for it.

And I've also applied for the Battlefield Play4Free beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I've mostly found when i comes to FPS's as a series progresses I always enjoy the one i started with the most, then as i move onto new ones i still enjoy the previous version more.

Now that probably doesn't make sense, so.

I had BF2 before i had broadband....don't ask, so didn't play it much obviously. Then i got 2142 when i had broadband, even though i had to run it at the very very lowest settings at the time, so low when a grenade went off the PC almost died, i still hearted it so. The way i see it is.

BF2142 > BF2 > BC > BC2.

Also in the COD series.

COD2 > COD4 > COD:UO(Only started playing during COD4) > COD:WAW > MW2

Also i remember pre Bad Company everyone creamed themselves over the thought and rumours of BF3. Now i know it's just going to be like the BC games, so i really don't care any more. If it was say a new and improved version of BF2 i'd be back to PC gaming in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

BC2 is NOT a Battlefield game per se - its a Bad Company game.

BF3 is the natural successor to 2142 & BF2.

Bad Company 2 tried to hit a larger target market than a BF game generally would.

There's no commander, no squad dynamics, no tactical game play of any note. Its a run and gun shooter, not even aimed towards clans etc properly because it really cannot support skirmishes or competitive play.

Its a different beast, an off-shoot to the BF series I suppose.

Its still fun, just don't be expecting to play BF2 with better graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

BF3 is the natural successor to 2142 & BF2.

If that's the case i'll need several new packets of underwear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

BF2 > BF2142 > BF1942 > BFBC2 > BFV > BFH

IMO :D

BC2 > BFV ?

In your opinion or not. Get the fook outta here. :pac:

Actually just seen 2142 there too. :eek:

/cries

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    BC2 > BFV ?

/cries

BFV was lacking a bit in fairness, it was a half arsed release.

2142 was / is excellent. So you get the fook outta here!!
    :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I can't agree with that.

The Battlefield franchise, for me, is all about current or old warfare.

2142 was simply a handy way of capitalising on a very popular franchise - a gimmick imo.

I'd take BfV or Bf42 over 2142 every time - even though I never played any of them that much, and I only got into fps with the coming of Bf2.

nummnutts wrote: »
    I can't agree with that.

The Battlefield franchise, for me, is all about current or old warfare.

2142 was simply a handy way of capitalising on a very popular franchise - a gimmick imo.

I'd take BfV or Bf42 over 2142 every time - even though I never played any of them that much, and I only got into fps with the coming of Bf2.

You obviously never played much of 2142.

The classes were balanced perfectly, the cmmdr/squad leader/squad members hierarchy was perfect. Commander mode wasn't overpowered, and the weapons were all good.

As well as the excellent Titan mode which brought a new element to the genre, I (and many others) thought it was an excellent release. There are still loads of servers running.

Of course, its mostly personal preference. But I'm right :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ABE

d22ontour wrote: »
    BC2 > BFV ?

/cries

BFV was a great game we had some lol's on that game for a number of years and all the other BF's released after were kinda meh and felt that something was missing.

EA just needs to re-release BFV with uptodate graphics :D

ABE wrote: »
    EA just needs to re-release BFV with up to date graphics :D

This, sense it makes. ;)

But if they limited the AN94 & the M60 you'd be in trouble Wonda-Boy. :D

The class limiting just ended up with more noobtubers running around because the rubbish snipers had to find something for their skill level. And prevented people like me from using the scout class to get up close & personal with the thompsons/C4/motion sensors.

Its the lack of maps that killed BC2 for most people. But it was fun for long enough that I'll get Vietnam providing they don't charge a stupid price for it.

And I've also applied for the Battlefield Play4Free beta.

LMAO...you still hurtin with the pain I dished out. AN9 was indeed my weapon of choice but I rarely used the M60 after the start of the game.

BF2142 was indeed a UBER game....that KRYLOV was just PERFECT!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

BF1942>BFV>BF2>BF2142>BC2>MoH...
    with MoH being the ugliest bastard child you can ever think of having...

MOHAA was a pretty great game, even the single player was decent too.All pretty much downhill after that though.Didn't try the latest MoH though if it has the same mechanics as BC2 i see no need to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

BF42 & BFV are the only real battlefield games, nothing has ever come close to capturing the feeling I got when I played those games. Those were the days, BF2 did fill the void for a while but there was so much wrong with that game it got frustrating to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

karma_ wrote: »
    BF42 & BFV are the only real battlefield games, nothing has ever come close to capturing the feeling I got when I played those games. Those were the days, BF2 did fill the void for a while but there was so much wrong with that game it got frustrating to play.

not if you loved the jets :D
    at least not till patch 1.41 when they screwed over all the jets bar the j10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

BC 2 for me. I played BF2 years ago and thought it was ok but not as good as BC2.

But BC2 is a different kettle of fish to all of the other BF games in fairness.

BC2 is a run n' gun shooter. Its fun, it looks great, but thats about it. Little or no depth to the gameplay.

BF2 / 2142 were my fav's of the series. Epic large scale battles in BF2, excellent commander mode in both, order/waypoint/objective system at a commander>squad leader>squad level breakdown.

Proper comms, the commo rose for issuing instructions, even saying a simple 'thank you'.

Planes.

All these things are what makes a BF game IMO - and all of them are missing from BC2.

BC2 is definitely more appealing to the console / CoD type of player, though I still enjoy it.

I can't wait for BF3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I don't know ever since they added that big bf2 style map to bc2 (the windmill one) it's brought back all those chopper hoes and the long walks, sometimes it's like walk walk walk walk walk, sniper bullet in the head, back to base, look at the chopper hogs still standing there, look for a car, walk walk walk.

Saying that the yank chopper in BC2 were awesome!!! BC2 helis are pigs in comparison.

Advertisement