Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

My little update from down here.

Thankfully I havent had an ounce of hassle. I am sleeping in my car though like an awful lot of people. Really seems the safest option after walking back last night. Didn't see anything but you can tell a dodge atmosphere straight away.

It's definately very empty compared to last time I was here in 2008. Loads of room in campsite, no queues, easy to get into pit etc.

Example had the place rockin, I was on the sound stage thing for the strokes, won tickets, out of the rain, epic. But swedish house mafia stole the show.in the pit, going nuts.

So far so good, no complaints. Weather is crackin today too :)

Stay safe folks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

df1985 wrote: »
    My little update from down here.

Thankfully I havent had an ounce of hassle. I am sleeping in my car though like an awful lot of people. Really seems the safest option after walking back last night. Didn't see anything but you can tell a dodge atmosphere straight away.

It's definately very empty compared to last time I was here in 2008. Loads of room in campsite, no queues, easy to get into pit etc.

Example had the place rockin, I was on the sound stage thing for the strokes, won tickets, out of the rain, epic. But swedish house mafia stole the show.in the pit, going nuts.

So far so good, no complaints. Weather is crackin today too :)

Stay safe folks.

Yup i was at the Main Stage all day and there was a very smallish crowd and very easy to get into the pit. e.g for Weezer the pit was just about full but there were F all people behind the pit . Couldnt see what size of crowd The Strokes got since i was in the pit at the Vodafone Stage.

Pretty good day all day yesterday. Few showers (a big one during the Strokes) . Pretty much stayed at the Main Stage all day , The Blackout were great and no how to get the crowd going. All Time Low were great fun but it was all about the WEEZER for me. Have being dying to see them for years and they didnt let me down. Played a great set with covers included and Rivers is a great frontman. MCR were good but nothing to right home about imo. Finished off the night with the Strokes and they wre pretty good. Got the bus back into Naas straight after since there was no one else i wanted to see.

Today is gonna be all about the Foo's :D and the weather is looking promising clear enough skies down here in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Does anyone actually use the Oxegen forum on the Oxegen website? I see questions asked which have not been answered for the last 24 hours lol.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

karaokeman wrote: »
    I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with the Black Eyed Peas last night.

Can't understand why so many people hate them.

because they are shít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

some quality tunes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Well it seems I was right in relation to ticket sales. Sounds like no fun this festival, maybe if your 17-20

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I said earlier that Oxegen was no worse than previous years.

I was completely wrong.

http://www.thejournal.ie/five-teens-injured-in-overnight-oxegen-slashing-assault-173499-Jul2011/

Fuc king hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Yeah I couldn't believe how small the crowd was at main stage. Before Black Eyed Peas came on, I was walking along the food stalls at the back and there was no crowd build up until the tower, almost like 5 o'clock in the evening any other year.

Tickets were a rip off though, they should have capped them at €199. They could possibly save the festival by making it 2 days again while we're all broke and stop bringing back the same headliners that people have either seen at Oxegen last year or the o2 a few months before hand, i.e. The Script playing a million dates in the o2 in March, then to 50,000 more people at the Aviva, then co-headlining Oxegen the following weekend. They can't be expected to attract the masses. It's come to the stage where we don't need Oxegen to see these bands because they play here regularly enough that you can bank on another Irish date anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Tickets are far to dear for what you actually get from them. €250 for a 4 day camping ticket is the main reason I didnt go, coupled with the fact you would nearly spend €150 on drink, tent, transport, food.

Thats around €400, and with weather in Ireland unpredictable, and alot of scumbags around robbing, it just didnt seem worth it. Especially since I felt the line up was alot better last year.

I'm nearly glad there is a small crowd, maybe they might reduce prices, although knowing this country they will probably increase them....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

shamtastic wrote: »
    Yeah I couldn't believe how small the crowd was at main stage. Before Black Eyed Peas came on, I was walking along the food stalls at the back and there was no crowd build up until the tower, almost like 5 o'clock in the evening any other year.

This is great news as far as I'm concerned, hopefully this is the last year it's on.
    I hate the way it sucks in all the bookings for the summer, imagine the good gigs we'd get if MCD didn't book them for Oxegen? I would love to see (for example) The National again, but I'm not going drag myself down to a wet, miserable, filthy field to see them in the rain with a bunch of 16 year old scrotes that don't know who they are.. I mean at this point it seems you're literally risking your life to go to it - look at the positive reports here, they seem to be along the tone of "I've been lucky I've not had any trouble and havent been robbed yet", "I sleep in the car to stay safe" etc.. I mean, if these are the positive experiences I don't look forward to hearing the bad come Monday.
    It's a ****ing kip and should be shut down for good. Passed its sell by date a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

5 people slashed, terrible thing to happen.
    My neighbour's son (who is 17 btw) is at it and I was talking with his mother last night. She wasn't overly concerned about his well being as he's a mature and responsible young man. She told me she heard this on the news this morning and now she is bricking it. She spoke to him on the phone today and pleaded with him to come home, he told her not to worry but it'll be a nerve wracking time for her this weekend. I'd been to all the Witnness's and all the Oxegen's up until 3 years ago. By that time I'd noticed a severe deterioration in the conduct of some festival goers. Too many non-music types were going and seemed only intent on getting wasted and causing trouble.

The incident that I still haven't forgotten was when a gang of guys were pushing passers-by into the mud, we watched them do it to at least ten people, men and women. We were watching this going on but felt helpless to stop it as the guys doing it were all big dodgy lads. The last person they did it to got upset and challenged the ringleader. From behind him he was attacked by another guy and knocked to the ground, then the ringleader came in with the most violent kick in the face I'd ever seen. I was horrified and got a steward and pointed out the lads responsible for it, who were now casually walking away laughing and joking. I don't know what happened the victim but the last I seen of him was him being stretchered away unconscious.
    Disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I know loads of people who've won tickets to Oxegen, why couldn't I have won? :mad:

Friend is telling me that it is very empty this year. Are Ireland's festivals the most expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

nm wrote: »
    This is great news as far as I'm concerned, hopefully this is the last year it's on.
    I hate the way it sucks in all the bookings for the summer, imagine the good gigs we'd get if MCD didn't book them for Oxegen? I would love to see (for example) The National again, but I'm not going drag myself down to a wet, miserable, filthy field to see them in the rain with a bunch of 16 year old scrotes that don't know who they are.. I mean at this point it seems you're literally risking your life to go to it - look at the positive reports here, they seem to be along the tone of "I've been lucky I've not had any trouble and havent been robbed yet", "I sleep in the car to stay safe" etc.. I mean, if these are the positive experiences I don't look forward to hearing the bad come Monday.It's a ****ing kip and should be shut down for good. Passed its sell by date a long time ago.

Spot on, these shouldn't be the terms under which you come home with all your gear in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

5 people slashed, terrible thing to happen.
    My neighbour's son (who is 17 btw) is at it and I was talking with his mother last night. She wasn't overly concerned about his well being as he's a mature and responsible young man. She told me she heard this on the news this morning and now she is bricking it. She spoke to him on the phone today and pleaded with him to come home, he told her not to worry but it'll be a nerve wracking time for her this weekend. I'd been to all the Witnness's and all the Oxegen's up until 3 years ago. By that time I'd noticed a severe deterioration in the conduct of some festival goers. Too many non-music types were going and seemed only intent on getting wasted and causing trouble.

The incident that I still haven't forgotten was when a gang of guys were pushing passers-by into the mud, we watched them do it to at least ten people, men and women. We were watching this going on but felt helpless to stop it as the guys doing it were all big dodgy lads. The last person they did it to got upset and challenged the ringleader. From behind him he was attacked by another guy and knocked to the ground, then the ringleader came in with the most violent kick in the face I'd ever seen. I was horrified and got a steward and pointed out the lads responsible for it, who were now casually walking away laughing and joking. I don't know what happened the victim but the last I seen of him was him being stretchered away unconscious.
    Disgusting.

That pushing people in the mud act sums up the intelligence of the swamp life that attend this festival now. It has to be on its last legs, sounds like it hasnt sold well this year, then again if it did fold it could drag Electric Picnic down to that level with people going there instead of Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Em when i was there yesterday (i have a 3 day non camping ticket) only 1 side of the pit was actually checking wristbands for some reason . Which was the left hand side facing the stage. Maybe just show your day ticket since they have no reason to not let ye in.

I'm watching the Back and Forth dvd to get me even more excited for tonight :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I reckon the incidents are down by quite a lot when compared to last year. All the same you could probably put this down to the seemingly lower number of people attending.

The place certainly seems much much quiter than any year over the last five - especially the campsites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

No generalisations please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I reckon the incidents are down by quite a lot when compared to last year. All the same you could probably put this down to the seemingly lower number of people attending.

The place certainly seems much much quiter than any year over the last five - especially the campsites.

Could also be the absence of Eminem and his want to be fans

It will be Jammers tonight I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Maybe someone on here can clarify this, was checking the Oxegen website and the tickets section, specifically the conditions of ticket sales, at no point does it mention that only weekend campers have exclusive rights to the main stage pit. So some clarification is needed here has any day ticketer people been disallowed into the pit so far?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Thinking of heading down today for foo fighters and artic monkeys. Where's best place to buy a day ticket from someone who has a spare? At bus stops in Dublin city or at entrance in naas? Dont wanna pay full price for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Maybe someone on here can clarify this, was checking the Oxegen website and the tickets section, specifically the conditions of ticket sales, at no point does it mention that only weekend campers have exclusive rights to the main stage pit. So some clarification is needed here has any day ticketer people been disallowed into the pit so far?

Pretty sure none.

I know a ton of people who were just going for the friday and spent the day at the front of the mainstage to get a good place for My Chemical Romance anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Look, there's feck all people down there you'll have no problem getting into the pit if you queue up.

KetchupKid wrote: »
    I just assumed the camping area was secure and only those that paid the €250 could get in!! Thanks MCD!!!!!!! Another Celtic tiger slime company that the government let's fleece the public. Never again!! Time to riot!!

Actually it was people like you who willing pay hundreds of euros each year to attend Oxegen who let MCD fleece you. I went once, back when it was Witness and what I saw put me off ever going again. It was badly organised, full of scum and with a security staff who seemed about as interested in doing any work as the average attendee had in staying sober.

Some advice for the next festival you attend, put any valuables such as your wallet, passport, etc at the bottom of your sleeping bag. Guarantees that while you sleep no one is going to make off with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,565 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Actually it was people like you who willing pay hundreds of euros each year to attend Oxegen who let MCD fleece you. I went once, back when it was Witness and what I saw put me off ever going again. It was badly organised, full of scum and with a security staff who seemed about as interested in doing any work as the average attendee had in staying sober.

Some advice for the next festival you attend, put any valuables such as your wallet, passport, etc at the bottom of your sleeping bag. Guarantees that while you sleep no one is going to make off with them.

Ya, but then they will smell like feet

:|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Was the fella who knifed them teenagers caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Highlight of the events so far surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

el dude wrote: »
    Highlight of the events so far surely?

Hopefully not or it will have been an awful waste of time and money. Granted she's not way out of tune - when she's singing - and the guy on the guitar CAN play, but I've heard better from buskers on Grafton St. - and seen bigger crowds around them too.

Advertisement