Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

nm wrote: »

Dont make me agree with at least one moderator here (*****)... but seriously, what the hell? Lets break ur statement down to brass tax -being STABBED wouldnt ruin your weekend? - Really?
    I doubt that very much

Someone stabbed of who knows how many thousand, things like these are bound to happen. I never said that ME personaly getting stabbed wouldn't ruin my weekend did I? I said if I heard that someone else got stabbed it wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

seanbmc wrote: »
    I never said that ME personaly getting stabbed wouldn't ruin my weekend did I? I said if I heard that someone else got stabbed it wouldn't.

Well as long as you're happy then. phew

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Waiting for MCD to bring me breakfast and the papers. Set up my tent day one and left my wallet iPhone and telly in a bag and they were robbed. There are people in the campsite drinking and my friend Julie saw someone smoking hash.

We have left a voicemail with Joe Duffy but obv won't get through until
    Monday

I expect to be looked after all the time and don't want to discuss the music.

There should be one security for every festival goer.

There is never any crime ever until Oxegen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

TheUsual wrote: »
    Unless you got stabbed.
    Then we would have to listen to your moaning ass.

Best never never go near this place. You wont like it. Moaning everywhere.
    clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

bigpoppa wrote: »
    Waiting for MCD to bring me breakfast and the papers. Set up my tent day one and left my wallet iPhone and telly in a bag and they were robbed. There are people in the campsite drinking and my friend Julie saw someone smoking hash.

We have left a voicemail with Joe Duffy but obv won't get through until
    Monday

I expect to be looked after all the time and don't want to discuss the music.

There should be one security for every festival goer.

There is never any crime ever until Oxegen.

Theres not enough bad weather, Joe won't entertain that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I really can't understand how some people think that because **** doesn't happen to them it's acceptable.

I've been to numerous festivals here and abroad and oxegen is consistently bottom of the pile when it comes to security.

I agree 100% that being smart and keeping your wits about you can help an awful lot however when you hear of tents being slashed and bags taken out of them while you sleep, or 5 people slashed with a knife and one being hosptalised you need to ask your self is this acceptable?

I've been to festivals abroad where there are more people, more booze a serious amount of drugs available openly and seen less violence than at one day at oxegen.
    That's not right.

Also people have a right to complain and voice what happened to them without others saying "oh ye're just moaning" " why don't ye ring Joe Duffy"

That me fein attitude is pretty pathetic and not to be encouraged.

Oxegen has been on a downward spiral the last few years, while i don't agree it should be stopped it does need a massive overhaul a drop in the outrageous ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

just got a quick question about bus tickets. I'm heading down for the day from Dublin, can I buy the bus tickets when I get to Parnell Sq? This is kind of a last minute thing and would prefer not to drive down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dermo wrote: »
    just got a quick question about bus tickets. I'm heading down for the day from Dublin, can I buy the bus tickets when I get to Parnell Sq? This is kind of a last minute thing and would prefer not to drive down.

You can buy tickets at the bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

Thought i'd chance my arm last night. Walked out to Punchestown. No one challenged me at the gate. Saw the Foos for free. Happy days (or in this case, night).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Thought i'd chance my arm last night. Walked out to Punchestown. No one challenged me at the gate. Saw the Foos for free. Happy days (or in this case, night).

wow, i thought there would be no chance of getting in like that.
    nice one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

What are people expecting when they head to Oxegen? It's not going to be 100% safe, the security can't watch everything that goes on.

It's a festival, there's going to be drugs, there's going to be drunks all over the place and there's going to be fights.

It's unfortunate about the stabbings but I wouldn't let EDIT hearing about EDIT something like that ruin my weekend.

It's funny because I was at a festival last week that had people drinking but no arseholes falling around ruining it for everybody else. I saw no fights either.

Nobody should have to accept scumbag behaviour because they are at a festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Have to say I really enjoyed the gigs last night and didn't notice much muppetry, (apart from a bit of moshing, thankfully it didn't get too out of hand)...we must have been the muppets!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think that Oxegen should just stick to one genre imo. E.g Rock and if need be down size it for awhile and try build it back up. Maybe only have 3 stages with a lower price

Then they could use T-Vital as the alternative to Oxegen later on in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

The state of some of the people coming into Penneys! Some of them can barely stand. I just don't see the point in spending all that money and then not even remember your weekend....
    Aside from that, having an absolute ball! Happened to wander out the front door last night just as "Monkey Wrench" started! :D and the Foos drove past us as we were heading for our bus!
    Hopefully be seeing a bit of Beyonce during dinner today! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

So can we talk about the music in here or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

What are people expecting when they head to Oxegen? It's not going to be 100% safe, the security can't watch everything that goes on.

It's a festival, there's going to be drugs, there's going to be drunks all over the place and there's going to be fights.

It's unfortunate about the stabbings but I wouldn't let EDIT hearing about EDIT something like that ruin my weekend.

im not saying a festivel shuld be 100% safe im saying that maybe if more security where hired to search bags dan no drugs or blades would be bought in near the campsites well maybe till u have the guards opening ur tent at 5in morning asking had you heard anything there was a stabbing 700meters from u you wouldnt feel safe either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

what were the foo's like :D?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Not a massive fan but they were really good. Didn't play an encore so as to not waste any time and went on for 2 hours. Very energetic as I imagine they always are and seemed in great form! They said they're playing here again very soon too so probably an o2 date on the way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think that Oxegen should just stick to one genre imo. E.g Rock and if need be down size it for awhile and try build it back up. Maybe only have 3 stages with a lower price

Then they could use T-Vital as the alternative to Oxegen later on in the summer

This.

Or another suggestion, one which prob won't be very popular or tbh realistic, is a better policing of drink in the place. When you look at it most of the problem in Oxegen (minus ticket sales) appear to be rooted in a lot of drink being consumed. To many people go to oxegen to just spend the weekend drinking and that just causes so many problems from fights being started to tents being robbed for more drink or whatever else they can find.

How they could do that I don't know but I would love to see it happen. It is more than possible to go to oxegen and not drink or drink very little. I managed it the last two years with no problems and I'm sure that others have too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭DirtyLeeds

Only the Manic Street Preachers can save it now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This.

Or another suggestion, one which prob won't be very popular or tbh realistic, is a better policing of drink in the place. When you look at it most of the problem in Oxegen (minus ticket sales) appear to be rooted in a lot of drink being consumed. To many people go to oxegen to just spend the weekend drinking and that just causes so many problems from fights being started to tents being robbed for more drink or whatever else they can find.

How they could do that I don't know but I would love to see it happen. It is more than possible to go to oxegen and not drink or drink very little. I managed it the last two years with no problems and I'm sure that others have too.

I think you spot on there regards booze, it's a mentality in us as a nation where if we bring 2 crates we feel we have to finish them.

Last time I was there, there seemed to be too many people there to drink themselves stupid and had no interest in music, and I suspected some didn't even leave the camp site once over the week end.

Another unrealistic suggestion I'd have is to break up the camp site into much smaller sections and have more space between them and have 24hr security on each. Or even introduce a booze free one one the opposite side of the venue :eek:

It's happened........ I've finally turned into my dad :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

calex71 wrote: »
    I think you spot on there regards booze, it's a mentality in us as a nation where if we bring 2 crates we feel we have to finish them.

Last time I was there, there seemed to be too many people there to drink themselves stupid and had no interest in music, and I suspected some didn't even leave the camp site once over the week end.

Another unrealistic suggestion I'd have is to break up the camp site into much smaller sections and have more space between them and have 24hr security on each. Or even introduce a booze free one one the opposite side of the venue :eek:

It's happened........ I've finally turned into my dad :D

I didn't think anyone would agree with me! :D

I like the breaking up idea and the booze free section! It could be a good idea. Though how they could break them up I'm not sure seeing as it's all just a big field!

I know people who definitely didn't leave the campsite at all and it's ridiculous! Why pay €250 to drink in a tent all weekend. Surely you could do that in your back garden?!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I do agree actually maybe splitting up the campsites into sections which would mean security would have a smaller area to control and make it that much easier.

Would you think if they actually let people into the arena with their own drink would it help? I know since its sponsored by Heineken and they might loose money. Since everyone says a lot of people just stay in the campsite drinking before they head into the arena

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

I agree about the booze thing. I've only camped at Oxegen once (in 2006) and hadn't been since it was Witnness, when I didn't camp out. The year I camped I went straight after work and actually didn't have time to buy drink for the campsite. In the end I had one pint over the whole weekend, didn't bother me in the slightest.

What annoyed the cr*p outa me in 06 was the sheer effort that went into confiscating drink from people going from campsite to arena. At the time plenty of garda were engaged in this activity, which I would have thought shoudl have been dealt with by security as there's actually nothing illegal about over 18s having alcohol in their possession. (Of course there might have been other lawful reasons for AGS to be searching people - in light of the stanley knife incident I think it's a good thing!). But it's not really their job to take alcohol off those of legal age due to the whims of the sponsors.

It caused a big bottleneck and caused a lot of people to get irate, especially with people insisting on drinking their "contraband" there and then. I assume the only reason you couldn't bring booze to the arena was due to the drinks company sponsorship. Otherwise if it was a public order issue/security/whatever then no drink would be allowed on site at all. As a result, people who go and buy shedloads of booze then have to stay in the campsite if they want to consume it - in many cases they stay there all day.

Am just back from my 5th Glastonbury and theres none of this nonsense, you bring as much drink as you can carry, there's no segregation of campsite/arena. People happily drink their own supplies as well as purchase the many varieties of drink on offer and everyone's happy, with no trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

DirtyLeeds wrote: »

No hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

stinkle wrote: »
    I agree about the booze thing. I've only camped at Oxegen once (in 2006) and hadn't been since it was Witnness, when I didn't camp out. The year I camped I went straight after work and actually didn't have time to buy drink for the campsite. In the end I had one pint over the whole weekend, didn't bother me in the slightest.

What annoyed the cr*p outa me in 06 was the sheer effort that went into confiscating drink from people going from campsite to arena. At the time plenty of garda were engaged in this activity, which I would have thought shoudl have been dealt with by security as there's actually nothing illegal about over 18s having alcohol in their possession. (Of course there might have been other lawful reasons for AGS to be searching people - in light of the stanley knife incident I think it's a good thing!). But it's not really their job to take alcohol off those of legal age due to the whims of the sponsors.

It caused a big bottleneck and caused a lot of people to get irate, especially with people insisting on drinking their "contraband" there and then. I assume the only reason you couldn't bring booze to the arena was due to the drinks company sponsorship. Otherwise if it was a public order issue/security/whatever then no drink would be allowed on site at all. As a result, people who go and buy shedloads of booze then have to stay in the campsite if they want to consume it - in many cases they stay there all day.

Am just back from my 5th Glastonbury and theres none of this nonsense, you bring as much drink as you can carry, there's no segregation of campsite/arena. People happily drink their own supplies as well as purchase the many varieties of drink on offer and everyone's happy, with no trouble.
    It's so that people can't throw bottles of piss at My Chemical Romance.

The food stands also have to take the cap off bottles of Coke,water etc. so that, if it's thrown, whatever is in it will flow out and the bottle won't travel far through the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Healium wrote: »
    It's so that people can't throw bottles of piss at My Chemical Romance.

The food stands also have to take the cap off bottles of Coke,water etc. so that, if it's thrown, whatever is in it will flow out and the bottle won't travel far through the air.

Anyone who's moronic enough to do that can easily conceal a spare lid somewhere if they're so determined. Cans (of booze) are taken off people as well

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

DirtyLeeds wrote: »
    agreed
    Followed by a quick shot of chase & status and finished off with a large screamadelica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Watch them on BBC 3 this evening :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

SantryRed wrote: »
    So can we talk about the music in here or what?

Of course. What's been your highlight of the weekend so far?
    This.

Maybe the security need to be a bit more heavy handed with regards to confiscating wristbands and ejecting people who are causing trouble/too drunk.

Advertisement