Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

I hope it gets shut down or severe sanctions placed on it that force the organisers to crack down.

We were in B23 near the stabling. I haven't felt so scared in my whole life! Never going back!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Did Example play at Oxygen at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

One of the best weekends of my entire life. Can't wait till next year!

edit: re security, it got a lot better after the 'incident' on Friday night. We had Gardai and stewerts walking by our tent all night long. I know there are a good few scummers down in Oxegen but I think people on here are exagerating slightly. Everyone I talked to was having great craic, nobody moaning anything like whats going on in this thread.

And for those wondering about Odd Future, they were really good, pity about Tylers leg. They drew a small crowd but the people that were there were really into it. Brilliant.

eternal wrote: »
    Did Example play at Oxygen at all ?

Yeah, it was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6 tacodub

Headed into town on Saturday morning and when on our way to buy bus tickets a Taxi driver offered to bring us over from O Connell Street for 15 quid a head. He was a lunatic, let us smoke and drink in the taxi and all. Upon arrival, we came to a gate, shouted "drive on, drive on".....messing with him....got through the gate, looked to our right and there was the main stage. We hopped out, sat on the benches til it opened and got our mates to drop them over to the campsite. Enjoyed a whole day of music, free of charge and drinking our own gargle we got in Tesco(5 euro pints me b*llocks :D). Made it into the campsite after and everything.

Sound as a bell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

So jealous ! Would have love to have seen him and The Foo Fighters ,and The Script.And S.H .M ,what were they like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

O'Doodle wrote: »
    I hope it gets shut down or severe sanctions placed on it that force the organisers to crack down.

We were in B23 near the stabling. I haven't felt so scared in my whole life! Never going back!

i would love to see it shut down too, it has run it course, but I doubt anything will happen MCD dont care, we have been here before http://www.herald.ie/national-news/oxegen-fan-lucky-to-be-alive-after-neck-slashed-1829136.html remember? and what happened then?

I have been at nearly all the witness' and oxegens apart from this years and Im glad I didnt go now, taking your life in your hands is right as one poster said earlier. Oxegen has been getting worse and worse every year with regard to fence hopping, scumbags, fights etc.

Someone should start a petition and present it to AGS before their next licence is applied for. €250+ and your not even safe? Total disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

tacodub wrote: »
    Headed into town on Saturday morning and when on our way to buy bus tickets a Taxi driver offered to bring us over from O Connell Street for 15 quid a head. He was a lunatic, let us smoke and drink in the taxi and all. Upon arrival, we came to a gate, shouted "drive on, drive on".....messing with him....got through the gate, looked to our right and there was the main stage. We hopped out, sat on the benches til it opened and got our mates to drop them over to the campsite. Enjoyed a whole day of music, free of charge and drinking our own gargle we got in Tesco(5 euro pints me b*llocks :D). Made it into the campsite after and everything.

Sound as a bell.

So you got into Oxegen without buying a ticket? No offence, but people who do that actually annoy me to no end. What makes you think you're entitled to something that others have to pay for? After a weekend of people begging for my wristband to sneak in their friends, I'm just sick of it.

Did anyone else think that the sound was appalling? At sometimes, I could hear what was playing on Vodafone better than the Main stage. And during the National, you could hear the music blaring from that Heineken bar. Twas a bit annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

Hope everyone here had a good time :), RTE seriously need to get rid of some of the interviewers I saw on youtube, cringe worthy is not the word :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

nommm wrote: »
    Did anyone else think that the sound was appalling? At sometimes, I could hear what was playing on Vodafone better than the Main stage. And during the National, you could hear the music blaring from that Heineken bar. Twas a bit annoying.
    I thought the sound was good. In the likes of oxegen, you have to place your self in the correct spot. Between the delay towers and the stage is usually perfect. I also did notice sound bleeding through from other stages, but that would be impossible to avoid completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Thought I would add something positive.
    Went for the first time in 5 years, and actually have noticed quite a lot of improvements. Back in the Witnness days there were maybe 4 food places to chose from, but the selection now is huge. The Penneys was also new to me - great idea.
    Toilets are a hell of a lot better than they were, and drinking water is everywhere. Security seemed a lot more present, and were politer than I remember last time I was there.
    Didn't really notice anything dodgy going on. Lots of drunk kids around but no real hassle. Walked around the campground on Friday and again on Sunday. Place looked like a refugee camp alright but was still packed full of exhausted people. I didn't camp so can't comment on that.
    I think all the comments about the festival needing to be shut down are a bit uncalled for. I've noticed no real deterioration in quality since 2006, and in fact think it's a better festival than when it was Witnness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Novella wrote: »
    So you got into Oxegen without buying a ticket? No offence, but people who do that actually annoy me to no end. What makes you think you're entitled to something that others have to pay for? After a weekend of people begging for my wristband to sneak in their friends, I'm just sick of it.

Hey seen you down there, on your high horse - you looked bored :)

Well whatever about all the negative stuff being write by some here, I brought my fifteen year old daughter down yesterday. Leaving last night she hugged me and said it was the best day of her life.

are reading some of the comments here over the weekend I was expecting armageddon, but I found a very tiny minority of scumbags, and a massive majority having the craic.

We'd very positive experience all roundand very little bad to comment upon.

Novella wrote: »

I'm from around Naas, I hate to break it to you this has being going on since Oxegen started in Punchestown. It's almost common knowledge the best places to hop the fences into the campsite and all the wrong people know at this stage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Just waiting for someone to say "no wonder the country is in the state it's in" in relation to people sneaking in. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

an oxygen festival goer was admitting to Naas A&E on Saturday night covered in blood. it transpired he was high on drugs the injuries were caused by self-cannibalism :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    Just waiting for someone to say "no wonder the country is in the state it's in" in relation to people sneaking in. :rolleyes:

I snuck (is that a word) a friend into the VIP area, and got a freebie pint off her for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DaveDaRave wrote: »

Bravo on saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

tacodub wrote: »

Sound as a bell.

This didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

lucylu wrote: »
    an oxygen festival goer was admitting to Naas A&E on Saturday night covered in blood. it transpired he was high on drugs the injuries were caused by self-cannibalism :eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I went on a day ticket yesterday. I was tempted prior to the festival to get a weekend ticket and wastrying to convince myself that somehow things might be ok. A few observations I Have:

Negatives:
    • An awful lot of messy teens. I mean off their faces, passed out on the ground or short of that staggering with eyes shut. Not even listening to bands.
    • Never seen so much fake tan running off girls and so badly done....It looks fake
    • Oxegen needs to decide what kind of festival it wants to be. Pop (Black eyed peas, the saturdays...) or rock (manic street preachers, foo fighters) . I know some people will say " I like both foos and Black Eyed Peas but really theer is no place for some of these bands at oxegen. Primal Scream, The national, Manic street preachers, British Sea power and loads more would be better suited to Electric Picnic. Bands are playing obviously just for the money because there is Zero crowd reaction. The most manic crowd I saw all day was when I passed by the Greenspheres tent for the saturdays.Loads of teens going crazy. Then later on you see a very average crowd size at The National..
    Positives
    • Very well organised access and exit policy. Park and Ride Service was greta. Quick and comfortable.
    • The security seemed on top of their game and fairly mannerly.
    • The sound I felt on all stages was quite good once you were pretty near. On the top of the hill is poor as you have all the stages spilling.
    • Matt beringer from the National going crazy in the crowd and jumping on top of us. Brilliant.
    • Chris & Christy
    Recommendations:
    • Too many filler bands on the line up. Reduce the festival back to 2 days and increase the quality of act.
    • Allow festival goers to bring drink into the arena. Its clear that they are all getting loaded in the camp site and then it just hits them and puts them in a mess by the time they hit the arena. This is why Glastonbury is a success.
    • Stop booking bands not suited to the audience that attends Oxegen.
    • Change the name of the festival. Rebrand it. The oxegen label is damaged beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Excellent post poteen. But get rid of your praise for the National and Coldplay :p

I was on a day pass yesterday as well. I was hugely impressed with the setup compared to previous years. I have only heard bad things about the campsite but the arena itself was perfect. Had a fantastic time.

Saw Jimmy Eat World, who were amazing. Can't believe the size of the mosh pit towards the end of their set.
    Pendulum's set was a perfect end to the day, the crowd were mental and everyone just seemed to be losing themselves in the music.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The bad:

The amount of absolute scum left right and centre. Lost count how many people I know that had things stolen while away or asleep. Was camped around the corner from the stabbing on Friday night aswel, awful stuff.

Power mad security. Saw some idiot of a security man push his way through the crowd into a smallish mosh-pit and then grabbed a young fellah by the neck and threw him on the ground.

I was there in 04, 05, 07, 08. camped every time, but I cant see my self camping again, if i go again it would prob be just for a day if there are a few bands I want to see. really wanted to see the foo fighters, and would have liked to see the arctic monkeys but 100 was a bit steap.

from 2004-2008 there were some big improvements, toilets were better, more bars, bigger choice of food stands.
    But every year the amount of scum attending the festival is getting higher and higher. I wasnt supprised when i heard of the stabbing at all to be honest, im suprised it didnt happen a few years ago. In 08, nearly everyone's tent around us (including my own) was robbed.

Its a young persons festival, most people there were prop 17-21. Im a bit old for it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Went down on Thursday, had a great spot in the red site. Good gang of us. Friday loved Weezer and All Time Low, until a scumbag took the drumstick I caught from ATL. Calvin Harris was good for about 10 mins then he got very repetitive for me. Script were great but the Strokes were very boring. On Sat Two Door, Bruno Mars and Artic Monkeys were great, Foo's were unreal.

But Sat night we came back to the campsite and scumbags had set up on top of our tent. One pissed on our pillow while we were having a rest and start kicking at our heads. Was absolutely terrified. Resulted in myself and my girlfriend just saying "fcuk this" and we packed up and left. Ruined a great weekend

But other complaints about the weekend, sound was piss poor on the Main Stage, guitars seemed too low down in the mix. Also the crowds were as bad as ever, I found a lot of fans hanging around the back of the pit while drunken idiots just pushed and shoved up near the front

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Dermo wrote: »
    Excellent post poteen. But get rid of your praise for the National and Coldplay :p

I couldnt help indulging ! Jimmy Eat World was a noble call out but I cant let you go with Pendulum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

poteen wrote: »
    I went on a day ticket yesterday. I was tempted prior to the festival to get a weekend ticket and wastrying to convince myself that somehow things might be ok. A few observations I Have:

Negatives:
    • An awful lot of messy teens. I mean off their faces, passed out on the ground or short of that staggering with eyes shut. Not even listening to bands.
    • Never seen so much fake tan running off girls and so badly done....It looks fake
    • Oxegen needs to decide what kind of festival it wants to be. Pop (Black eyed peas, the saturdays...) or rock (manic street preachers, foo fighters) . I know some people will say " I like both foos and Black Eyed Peas but really theer is no place for some of these bands at oxegen. Primal Scream, The national, Manic street preachers, British Sea power and loads more would be better suited to Electric Picnic. Bands are playing obviously just for the money because there is Zero crowd reaction. The most manic crowd I saw all day was when I passed by the Greenspheres tent for the saturdays.Loads of teens going crazy. Then later on you see a very average crowd size at The National..
    Positives
    • Very well organised access and exit policy. Park and Ride Service was greta. Quick and comfortable.
    • The security seemed on top of their game and fairly mannerly.
    • The sound I felt on all stages was quite good once you were pretty near. On the top of the hill is poor as you have all the stages spilling.
    • Matt beringer from the National going crazy in the crowd and jumping on top of us. Brilliant.
    • Chris & Christy
    Recommendations:
    • Too many filler bands on the line up. Reduce the festival back to 2 days and increase the quality of act.
    • Allow festival goers to bring drink into the arena. Its clear that they are all getting loaded in the camp site and then it just hits them and puts them in a mess by the time they hit the arena. This is why Glastonbury is a success.
    • Stop booking bands not suited to the audience that attends Oxegen.
    • Change the name of the festival. Rebrand it. The oxegen label is damaged beyond repair.
    totally agree on bringing your own drink kinda ruined my day that i couldn't

heineken seem to be water down don't drink the stuff but it wasn't doing anything for me
    bought a red bull and vodka couldn't even taste the vodka and there were two shots put in!

Personally i think its terrible for gardai to tell people not to bring valuables

Personally i think its terrible that gardai have to to tell people not to bring valuables
    ;)

why would you bring valuables?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

poteen wrote: »
    I couldnt help indulging ! Jimmy Eat World was a noble call out but I cant let you go with Pendulum :D

:)
    I'm not a huge fan of Pendulum but I passed by the stage on the way to see Bright Eyes and just got hooked in. Their whole stage setup and intensity was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

what was with the sound on the main stage when the foofighters were playing i thought there was an amp blowing or something!

i personally didn't think they were great and its the act i came to see don't no if it was because of the sound but he didn't sing many of the songs he got the crowd to sing them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

lucylu wrote: »

The food was hardly that bad at it was it that he resorted to that ?

Advertisement