Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

Personally i think its terrible that gardai have to to tell people not to bring valuables
    ;)

why would you bring valuables?

There are two things that thieves want. Cash and stuff they can sell for cash. Should be self explanatory as to why people would have cash at a festival. Stuff that can be sold for cash includes things like phones, cameras, mp3 players etc. Once again it shouldn't be too difficult to see why people might have these items on them at a music festival. It isn't like people are arriving with laptops/ipads/waterford crystal to the campsite. Or at least I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tzer

lisar816 wrote: »
    what was with the sound on the main stage when the foofighters were playing i thought there was an amp blowing or something!

i personally didn't think they were great and its the act i came to see don't no if it was because of the sound but he didn't sing many of the songs he got the crowd to sing them!
    That must have been the sound because I was in the pit and you could hear him sing along to every word. The sound was quite bad behind the pit at the vodafone stage earlier in the day as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Had a great weekend, personally i thought the atmosphere was much better than last year. Tinie tempah was the only real hip hop act at it this year and the likes of Eminem and Jay z are bound to have brought in scumbags.

Once again some of the greatest suprises came from the hotpress tent ( I Think this was the red bull tent last year?). The likes of The Naked and Famous and Glas Vegas.

Foo fighters were just unreal, Dave Ghrol really put the greatest effort into it and hearing everlong live made it one of the greatest weekends of my life.

Weezer Also should have been a headlining act, They were on far too early and were definatly one of the best performances of the festival.

All in all i highly enjoyed this years Oxegen and while I agree with some other posters that the festival needs to make up its mind whether its wants to be arock and roll festival or a pop festival, the variety of acts on offer is still great for those with a varied interest in music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I thought that the festival was amazing. As this was my first time at Oxegen or any major music festival for this matter, I cannot comment on it as compared to others.

I agree that the organisation was poor, as was the sound quality at the main stage. I know people younger than 17 who managed to get through very easily, as none of them were asked for I.D. Neither was I.

I will probably get pitch forks stabbed at me for saying this but I do not agree with the claim that Oxegen can only be one type of festival.

I know that in previous years it gained a reputation for being an indie festival with the likes of The Killers, Snow Patrol and whatnot. But contary to popular belief Oxegen can and should have pop acts to balance out the appeal.

In my view a festival is a gathering of music fans, where everyone goes wild and has a good time. Having seen The Saturdays and The Black Eyed Peas I was very impressed. They made interactions with the crowd and wanted everyone to have a good time, thats what any festival band should do.

Coldplay were great too. Chris Martin seemed very pleased to finally be performing at Ireland's largest music festival. He also took note of it being in Co. Kildare and introduced Christy Moore as one of his heroes from that exact county. The pair then did an astonishing cover of Jimmy MacCarthy's "Ride On", which lit the spirits of 80,000 Irish standing before the great musicians.

And I have to say that people need to stop seeing Oxegen as a drinking festival and using it as an excuse to do so. If you pay €200-€250 to go to a festival you may as well get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as possible. Whats the point in flushing away all that cash in a recession just to drink when you can do that anyday in the pub?

As regards to the girls wearing fake tan and short skirts...... can you actually complain about that:p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Toast wrote: »
    Should be self explanatory as to why people would have cash at a festival. Stuff that can be sold for cash includes things like phones, cameras, mp3 players etc. Once again it shouldn't be too difficult to see why people might have these items on them at a music festival. It isn't like people are arriving with laptops/ipads/waterford crystal to the campsite. Or at least I hope not.

exactly, thats what i was on about! :D
    Everyone needs cash and their phone, so keep it in your pocket where there is a much less chance of being robbed. One of my mates had his phone and wallet stolen from our tent a few years ago, he left it there because he was afraid he would lose them in the festival..........i couldnt belive people could be so stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ant_moore123

[QUOTE=
    Coldplay were great too. Chris Martin seemed very pleased to finally be performing at Ireland's largest music festival. QUOTE]

They headlined Witness in 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

KetchupKid wrote: »
    Young skywalker - Unless you are smoking the force, it is very common place, at least last night in my area.

Okay okay I take it all back and I apologise gracefully

I ended up down there on the Sunday because 2 of my friends bags and tents got robbed.This was in the Blue 23/24 arear about 5/6 tents were all robbed! They were so pssed off that decided to ditch it on the Sat night so I got the wristbands and ventured down.

Looked the usual festival crowd for the most part, drunk, young, reckless, but the pockets of scum floating about together was just ridiculous. Security was less visibile than previous years and really needs to be beefed up so its visibile at all times ie greater patrols and more man power!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

Go to one not in Ireland and you will have a great time, guaranteed.
    Alter-Ego wrote: »
    It's a shame that you feel that way. There's a lot of fantastic music festivals out there that you'd be missing out on.

Thing is, Oxegen is so bottom of the barrel that if you do decide to go to any other festival, chances are it'll be a much better experience than Oxegen.

Thanks, yeah live music was awesome and this experience hasn't put me off it. I think I'll just never go back there or camp at any festival ever again, much too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Thanks, yeah live music was awesome and this experience hasn't put me off it. I think I'll just never go back there or camp at any festival ever again, much too risky.

Don't let OXegen be your first and only festival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thought i'd chance my arm last night. Walked out to Punchestown. No one challenged me at the gate. Saw the Foos for free. Happy days (or in this case, night).

I saw pigs flying

Also Never going again. They should change the name to scumbag knacker fest so we all know exactly what we're getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

seanbmc wrote: »
    Don't let OXegen be your first and only festival.

Don't worry I won't! I'll just never camp at one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

If you go to some of the ones on the european mainland you would be perfectly safe camping

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dont see why not? I camped on my own at Glastonbury. Was perfectly fine :)
    Although I spent a grand total of about 10 hours at that tent :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Hey seen you down there, on your high horse - you looked bored :)

I don't even know where to start in replying to you, that's actually how stupid I think this is. I'm on a high horse 'cause I think people who think it's okay to sneak into a festival without paying are wrong? Get a grip. It's the equivalent of walking into a shop and stealing. You don't do it.
    ronoc wrote: »
    I'm from around Naas, I hate to break it to you this has being going on since Oxegen started in Punchestown. It's almost common knowledge the best places to hop the fences into the campsite and all the wrong people know at this stage too.

I am from Naas, I'm well aware it's something that happens a lot. In my opinion, people who do that kind of thing should be ashamed of themselves - that's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dermo wrote: »
    If you go to some of the ones on the european mainland you would be perfectly safe camping

Erm, I'm not so sure about that.

Guys really there's nothing unique about the carry on at Oxegen this weekend, its happened at any festival I've ever been too.

Indeed way back at Slane 1984 (Bob Dylan at his worse) the guards and the army were called in to quell the violence.

Go, have your smarts about you - don't drop your guard, be safe be wise and you'll have the craic.

Jeeze the way some people go on about it you'd swear some here never got out of the box all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oxegen was amazing. :) Best weekend of my life. It was my first time there, and we went in a group of 3, ended up camping in R2 close to a group of girls from Wexford who ended up being great friends with us. The banter that was had in the campsite was unreal, and the most trouble that happened was people trying to hop the fence. :)

Beyonce and Coldplay made my weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

Science to prove Oxegen = knacker Fest

90 arrests for 80,000 = 0.1125%

Electric Picnic

8 arrests for 30,000 = 0.026%

Results = Oxegen 4.3 times more knackers than other Irish festivals

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

had a great weekend highlights been the national and the foo's and example

yes there are loads of knackers but i find if you keep to yourself and your own friends for the weekend like in any walk of life you generally encounter little or no trouble

chase and status was the worst crowd i have ever seen though it was like some1 threw a needle on the ground and a mountain of junkies came running at once

the thing that really pissed me off was beyonce i just hope her B.E.P and the saturdays are not a sign of the times as the only thing that will stop me going to festivals is if the line up gets worse and worse

also the timetable is badly put together too many similar bands clash why cant they just have a pop stage for that ****e if they insist on booking them

oh only roughy 60 sleeps to electric picnic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

This was my 10th Oxegen/Witnness this year and i honestly didn't notice any major difference in the amount of scumbags at this years compared to previous ones. People are talking here as if the whole thing of scumbags giving hassle and people being off their heads drunk or passed out is something new but the reality is,is that this is the way it has been for years.The only things that stood out this year was the obvious reduction of attendance and security was also seriously low. MCD need to make it more secure next year or their flagship event will only become a shadow of its former glory, which hasn't happened yet even though some here reckon it has

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Erm, I'm not so sure about that.

Guys really there's nothing unique about the carry on at Oxegen this weekend, its happened at any festival I've ever been too.

Indeed way back at Slane 1984 (Bob Dylan at his worse) the guards and the army were called in to quell the violence.

Go, have your smarts about you - don't drop your guard, be safe be wise and you'll have the craic.

Jeeze the way some people go on about it you'd swear some here never got out of the box all year.

Last year I went to Rock Werchter in Belgium and there was not a single problem in the campsite. We even left our beer outside our tents, nobody even thought about taking it. Same in Nova Rock, Rock Am Ring and Pukkelpop.

Camped 1 year at Oxegen a good few years ago. Result was all our chairs smashed to bits for no reason. People pissing on tents etc.

I would consider mainland europe festivals to be about 20 times better organised than Oxegen.
    Oh, and some of them are about half the price of Oxegen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

beartooth wrote: »
    Science to prove Oxegen = knacker Fest
    90 arrests for 80,000 = 0.1125%
    Electric Picnic
    8 arrests for 30,000 = 0.026%
    Results = Oxegen 4.3 times more knackers than other Irish festivals

well 1/1000 people being arrested shouldnt make it a knacker festival, but i do agree with you! whats just as annoying as the scum are the amount of passed out people. I dont understand why people spend at least 500 on the weekend, to be that drunk or badly hungover for the weekend. last time i was there a 17 year old almost vommited on me.......:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Rud wrote: »
    The only things that stood out this year was the obvious reduction of attendance and security was also seriously low.

Did they release an official attendance, what % was it down ?.

had a great weekend highlights been the national and the foo's and example

yes there are loads of knackers but i find if you keep to yourself and your own friends for the weekend like in any walk of life you generally encounter little or no trouble

chase and status was the worst crowd i have ever seen though it was like some1 threw a needle on the ground and a mountain of junkies came running at once

the thing that really pissed me off was beyonce i just hope her B.E.P and the saturdays are not a sign of the times as the only thing that will stop me going to festivals is if the line up gets worse and worse

also the timetable is badly put together too many similar bands clash why cant they just have a pop stage for that ****e if they insist on booking them

oh only roughy 60 sleeps to electric picnic :)

Music snob. The saturdays went down a storm yesterday they packed out that tent and unlike 2009, it wasn't pissing down at the time as the 'excuse'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Camped for the whole weekend, had such a blast, amazing weekend. Doing a little research beforehand and having sense goes a LONG way to making your weekend much more succesful. The stewards were excellent, they made such a difference being in great form, they were all up for the banter and able to have a laugh. Huge kudos to them.

In the pit every night for the headliners, Coldplay was such a squashfest at the front though, had to back up a bit in there.

Amazing weekend though, will definitely go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

They haven't released an official attendance yet and they probably won't if numbers are significantly down on previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Music snob.

A dislike of The Saturdays does not make someone a music snob. There is this thing called personal taste. Look it up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

karaokeman wrote: »
    I thought that the festival was amazing. As this was my first time at Oxegen or any major music festival for this matter, I cannot comment on it as compared to others.

I agree that the organisation was poor, as was the sound quality at the main stage. I know people younger than 17 who managed to get through very easily, as none of them were asked for I.D. Neither was I.

I will probably get pitch forks stabbed at me for saying this but I do not agree with the claim that Oxegen can only be one type of festival.

I know that in previous years it gained a reputation for being an indie festival with the likes of The Killers, Snow Patrol and whatnot. But contary to popular belief Oxegen can and should have pop acts to balance out the appeal.

Neither the Killers or SP are indie.

In my view a festival is a gathering of music fans, where everyone goes wild and has a good time. Having seen The Saturdays and The Black Eyed Peas I was very impressed. They made interactions with the crowd and wanted everyone to have a good time, thats what any festival band should do.

Coldplay were great too. Chris Martin seemed very pleased to finally be performing at Ireland's largest music festival.
    They headlined here before

He also took note of it being in Co. Kildare and introduced Christy Moore as one of his heroes from that exact county. The pair then did an astonishing cover of Jimmy MacCarthy's "Ride On", which lit the spirits of 80,000 Irish standing before the great musicians.

There was not 80,000 people watching him.

And I have to say that people need to stop seeing Oxegen as a drinking festival and using it as an excuse to do so. If you pay €200-€250 to go to a festival you may as well get your moneys worth by seeing as many bands as possible. Whats the point in flushing away all that cash in a recession just to drink when you can do that anyday in the pub?
    If people choose to drink their time away, so be it.

As regards to the girls wearing fake tan and short skirts...... can you actually complain about that:p.
    Alter-Ego wrote: »
    They haven't released an official attendance yet and they probably won't if numbers are significantly down on previous years.

They won't unofficially i'm hearing about 50,000 fri and sat and more on the sunday. Most of the crowd not there during the day, only turning up after 7pm. From the people i've talked to seems to back that up.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    A dislike of The Saturdays does not make someone a music snob. There is this thing called personal taste. Look it up.

OKAY then smartass so the myriad of 'personal taste' in the general population shouldn't be catered for, just his 'personal taste' As he said himself 'the lineup gets worse and worse' - to whom exactly?? Him ?? Well he is of course entitled to his opinion, will agree to differ.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

Just back from oxygen and i will never go back to that dive again.
    Last time i seen so many scumags was when i drove past the local dole quee in my ferrari last week.
    Anyway im a witness veteran and its definetly got worse since my first appearence up there many years ago.
    The irish mentality of getting pissed and making a fool of themselves is embarassing stuff ,im hitting europe from now on bye bye oxygen:p

Advertisement