Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Didn't camp this year, but was in the campsite for a good chunk of Saturday and Sunday, have to say I had a very good weekend after picking up a cheap ticket Friday evening! There are real pros and cons to Oxegen as a festival, it is organised extremely well IMO, the shuttle buses in and out to Naas are very frequent and free, you never have to wait around for long, the facilities and some of the stalls they have there are brilliant really. Schuhs welly exchange, Heineken cool rooms, so many options for food, and penneys this year was a great addition! Security were very friendly this year too compared to previous years I thought, which is always a bonus.

The bad side for me this year was the line up, maybe it is just me but there never seemed to be any great acts until about 8 o clock onwards most nights, too much "filler" as others have said, maybe they would be better off changing it to a 2 day festival. What people have said about no alcohol in the arena seems pretty true, the amount of people who just down all their drink right before they enter the arena is crazy and I can only presume this is a contribution to the amount of drunken eejits around the place.

Scumbags were out in force this year though, suppose there is nothing MCD can do about it and you are guaranteed a few everywhere, but it felt as if it was about 50% scum this year which makes it less enjoyable for everyone really, but personally I had no bad experiences with anyone at this years. Was talking to a taxi man yesterday morning who said he was speaking to a garda superintendent on the Saturday morning, who told him on the Friday night alone there were 6 stabbings, 16 rapes and over 300 robberies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Only went up for the Saturday and to see Arctic Monkeys. I agree that the bands should have been better organised. Would have liked to see Mona, Vaccines but I stayed at the main stage and for too long in the Captain Morgan's tent.
    I thought the atmosphere was pretty good but it wasn't half as packed as normal. I was back a bit for the Foo's but they seem plenty of space around me. Arctic's put on a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭thesultan

Only went up for the Saturday and to see Arctic Monkeys. I agree that the bands should have been better organised. Would have liked to see Mona, Vaccines but I stayed at the main stage and for too long in the Captain Morgan's tent.
    I thought the atmosphere was pretty good but it wasn't half as packed as normal. I was back a bit for the Foo's but they seem plenty of space around me. Arctic's put on a great show.

A few notes. Three of us went up in a van. Why isn't it signposted better that they won't let you park them at the oxegen site and must instead go to Goeffs? Got a good deal for cheap sunglass euro fifty in pennies

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Alter-Ego wrote: »
    They haven't released an official attendance yet and they probably won't if numbers are significantly down on previous years.

i agree.the biggest attendance i seen over the weekend was on Sunday obviously because Beyonce was the biggest draw of the festival but for the rest of the weekend lack of people was easily noticeable.The Qs for beer,food,pits,toilets and so on weren't half as bad as they have been over the years,not that thats a bad thing though.ATM lines were still as bad as always though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Tent burners were out in force last night in the red camp. Fair play to the gardai and the security guards, stamped it out quickly.

Nothing stolen this year, only unpleasant experience was looking outside my tent one morning to find a girl squatting and taking as piss right outside.

Have to say Foo Fighters were by far the best act i saw, the echo from the crowd during the sing songs was bloody amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Epic weekend. For me the best act were Foo Fighters, what a performance. Christy Moore coming on with Coldplay is something I will never forget though.

Can't wait for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Rud wrote: »
    obviously because Beyonce was the biggest draw of the festival

brave statement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I thought it was great and didn't feel intimidated at all, heard about the stabbbing, apparently the lad was trying to rob people and then one guy asked him for a "straightener"without the knife, didn't happen and then the stabbing spree. could be all bull**** though.

Ithough Deadmau5 was amazing ad ended up not going to the foo fighters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

my first time at oxegen and i was warned how bad the portaloos can be i have to say the ladies were very clean fair play to the people keeping them clean!!!

Tent burners were out in force last night in the red camp. Fair play to the gardai and the security guards, stamped it out quickly.

Nothing stolen this year, only unpleasant experience was looking outside my tent one morning to find a girl squatting and taking as piss right outside.

I unzipped my tent to something similar a few years ago urgh :eek:..
    Not the best thing to see at 7 in the morning with the worst hangover in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

WOW... pretty heated debate and to a certain degree everyone is right. All the anti-social behaviour that happened is unacceptable.. however, put 60,000-80,000 people in one place and you will inevitably have a certain percentage of nasty troublemaking people.. unfortunately that's life, no matter where you are.
    This was my first year to ever attend oxygen, we stayed in B32 and while we had the odd exccesively drunk person falling over their own feet outside/onto our tent, we encountered no hint of any foul play. The only nasty thing to happen to us was to arrive to be told our tickets were null and void after being purchased with a stolen laser card and then refunded to this laser card. After a few tears, we took it on the chin, bought new tickets and put it down to a learning experience.
    I for one had a genuinely wonderful time, the foo fighters and coldplay put on a wonderful wonderful performance, Black eyed peas would have been really great if they had been black eyed peas and not Will.I.Am for 20 mins djing away on other peoples tracks!!! but with every large gathering of people especially when too much to drink and the instance of drugs and the inevitable presence of genuine assholes, you will encounter unfortunate nasty occurences but youre also forgetting youre getting three days jam packed with world famous acts performing right in front of you in our little country! Its horrible to be stolen from but it teaches you a lesson very painfully, dont blame the event, blame yourself for being too trusting and the small percentage who cant have fun the normal way but DO have fun yourself! Oxegen 2011... for me.. SERIOUS FUN!!!! But note to self... BREAK IN WELLIES BEFOREHAND!!! Ouch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

Erm, I'm not so sure about that.

Guys really there's nothing unique about the carry on at Oxegen this weekend, its happened at any festival I've ever been too.

Indeed way back at Slane 1984 (Bob Dylan at his worse) the guards and the army were called in to quell the violence.

Go, have your smarts about you - don't drop your guard, be safe be wise and you'll have the craic.

Jeeze the way some people go on about it you'd swear some here never got out of the box all year.

no this is not normal behaviour at festivals anywhere, its just a knacker hole that is oxegen, go to rock wretcher, rock am ring or rock im park or benicassim or pukklepop and you will not see any of this ****, and they are all twice as cheap as a weekend at oxegen and you nearlly guarnteed great weather for all these festivals.

and its not as if everyone at the festivals are saints either, far more drinking and drugs floating around them all but just no scumbags going around robbing tents. i guarntee you that people dont come away from these festivals thinking its a successful weekend if they didnt get started on or anything robbed. its a joke and when people just say ah sher its oxegen then it is not going to change into what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

Was slash any good. What was the sound like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    WOW... pretty heated debate and to a certain degree everyone is right. All the anti-social behaviour that happened is unacceptable.. however, put 60,000-80,000 people in one place and you will inevitably have a certain percentage of nasty troublemaking people.. unfortunately that's life, no matter where you are.
    This was my first year to ever attend oxygen, we stayed in B32 and while we had the odd exccesively drunk person falling over their own feet outside/onto our tent, we encountered no hint of any foul play. The only nasty thing to happen to us was to arrive to be told our tickets were null and void after being purchased with a stolen laser card and then refunded to this laser card. After a few tears, we took it on the chin, bought new tickets and put it down to a learning experience.
    I for one had a genuinely wonderful time, the foo fighters and coldplay put on a wonderful wonderful performance, Black eyed peas would have been really great if they had been black eyed peas and not Will.I.Am for 20 mins djing away on other peoples tracks!!! but with every large gathering of people especially when too much to drink and the instance of drugs and the inevitable presence of genuine assholes, you will encounter unfortunate nasty occurences but youre also forgetting youre getting three days jam packed with world famous acts performing right in front of you in our little country! Its horrible to be stolen from but it teaches you a lesson very painfully, dont blame the event, blame yourself for being too trusting and the small percentage who cant have fun the normal way but DO have fun yourself! Oxegen 2011... for me.. SERIOUS FUN!!!! But note to self... BREAK IN WELLIES BEFOREHAND!!! Ouch :)

Where/how did you buy the tickets? You should make sure to follow up on this.

flas wrote: »
    no this is not normal behaviour at festivals anywhere, its just a knacker hole that is oxegen, go to rock wretcher, rock am ring or rock im park or benicassim or pukklepop and you will not see any of this ****, and they are all twice as cheap as a weekend at oxegen and you nearlly guarnteed great weather for all these festivals.

have you ever been to the rory gallagher festival? I thoought it was better than any oxegen I was ever at! dont think there has ever been any volience at that festival. its the dream festival for people into rock music; amazing bands, no scumbags, and 45 euro for 4 nights camping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

have you ever been to the rory gallagher festival? I thoought it was better than any oxegen I was ever at! dont think there has ever been any volience at that festival. its the dream festival for people into rock music; amazing bands, no scumbags, and 45 euro for 4 nights camping :D

You don't organise the festival by any chance? Maybe I should plug my band here, but I won't
    You should get Amanda Brunker to headline it........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Where/how did you buy the tickets? You should make sure to follow up on this.
    We went straight to MCD security and the guards and they said the sheer volume of rogue traders selling tickets was shocking! Not sure if im allowed say the name of where i saw the tickets but it was advertised online in dublin and we drove up and he was mad mid thirties well dressed, came out of the Red Cow Inn and met us. Going up to try and view the CCTV footage at least to see if anything can come of it. Very nearl ruined the weekend, we spent most of what we had buying new tickets but luckily had brought spaghetti hoops and stuff with us :)

seachto7 wrote: »
    You should get Amanda Brunker to headline it........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:eek: i seen the vid of youtube. i dont know what was worse, that, or goldie lookin chain on the main stage in 2004!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭flas

no unfortunately have not been up to ballyshannon yet, hear its quality thought from a few friends who have been going every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Anyone here at primal scream last night???
    if so what was it like did they pull a big crowd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Anyone here at primal scream last night???
    if so what was it like did they pull a big crowd?
    Very small crowd, didn't sound great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Absolutely fantastic weekend. Excellent performances, not muddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

No Fred Perry Polo's then LMAO

Pretty Green you mean?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

fjon wrote: »
    Very small crowd, didn't sound great to be honest.

Such a shame i knew they'd be wasted up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Some pics for you on Facebook later this evening. Being Papparazzi is f'ckin fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Such a shame i knew they'd be wasted up there.
    They may still be added to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

My 2 favorite moments of Oxegen 2011; Christy Moore walking on stage (granted I thought for 2 seconds it would be Bono) and Brandon Flowers epically good set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

poteen wrote: »
    Negatives:
    • . Then later on you see a very average crowd size at The National..
    Positives
    • Matt beringer from the National going crazy in the crowd and jumping on top of us. Brilliant.

Two points before my own summary. There was a small stage for The National. I personally would rather have spent that gig surrounded by people who really wanted to be there as opposed to staking a good spot for say Pendulum. Even though they started to appear towards the end of the set. Matt also is the biggest legend for doing that sprinting into the crowd. Comparable to the Violinist from Airborne Toxic crowd surfing after a stage dive ( I THINK she dove )

Positives
    • Toilets - BIG Improvement from last year no doubt. Only used the urinals as I had access to an aunts house on Saturday. This morning when I got home was not good however.
    • Bands - I saw in total 35-42 Bands approx over the weekend. I don't drink so this festival was all about the Music for me. I really enjoyed the different types of bands I saw over the weekend. Be it from just watching a few songs and heading over to another act that was starting.
    • Lighting - I know this is an odd one, but a lot of the time and usually in the Sphere/Hotpress tents they really made the show. Noah And The Whale in particular and Airborne Toxic both stand out in my head for visuals making it better.
    • Guards - Met a couple of really sound guards. In particular at the Vodafone stage. During Jimmy Eat World they were really into the set and getting the crowd into it. They allowed the moshing which was lacking especially after the epicness of Rise Against last year. Few of them seemed like really rock folk themselves so allowed it because it didn't get too heated.
    • Ground - Don't remember them doing it last year but in particular putting bark cuttings in the Sphere tent after Friday. Stones in other tents where the muck had gotten a bit much from people walking. Didn't need my wellies after Friday which was pleasing as I was wearing Polka-Dot Red ones.
    • Main Stage Pit - KEEP THIS SYSTEM. Fantastic idea and saved a few crushes which would have happened no doubt for Coldplay and Beyonce. Also the CCTV on the pits, not sure if that's new or just never needed it last year.

Negatives
    • Screens - GAAAAAH, The first day was so annoying because the screens were out of sync with the singing. Thankfully this was fixed for Sat and Sunday so good response.
    • Sound - Maybe it was heavy on the bass a little much but , if I didn't know the words of a song then i often found it very hard to understand. I know a lot of people complained about The Strokes however that's a combination of both Julian's singing style and the Issues. Seemed better on the smaller stages and seemed fine everywhere by Sunday.
    • Security - Sad that it took someone getting hurt to show that they could pull of a great security job. I thought the guards on patrol afterwards really calmed everyones nerves a little bit. Still didn't stop the usual Sunday night antics of kicking over tents. Left Coldplay after Fix You so I could sit outside out tents etc until the crowd passed.
    • Spiders - Anyone else's tents covered in Spiders when it was really hot ? I know they can't do much about it but was irritating none the less.
    • Clashes - While they weren't as bad as I had assumed due to the timing breakdown ( Getting to see Jenny by Paolo, Brainstorm by Arctic and All of Brandons Set ) meaning I felt satisfied as Jenny and Brainstorm both my favorites. Think it could be a little better next year.
    • Arena - Had a 1.5 Litre bottle of Volvic taken off me. I was in the Arena for 11 hours one day and didn't really feel like paying 2.50 for hydration every time I had too. Where people were able to get cans and what not in no problem. I've made a conscious decision not to drink so I was a little peeved at having to fork out money every time I was thirsty. Yet was allowed as many Nature Valley bars in as I wanted ( they knew it would make my mouth dry :pac:!!) I know that bottle caps is an issue apparently. However some vendors were serving the bottles with the caps anyway. Seemed to be only the drink stalls which took them off and were dearer than the food ones.

My second Oxegen. The clashes on the Friday made it very easy for me to decide to see Glasvegas. Would like a bit of a return to the rock side of things. BEP two years in a row pushing the boat a tiny little bit... Will still go next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

heard some of "the script" on the radio on friday night....man..i thought someone was being tortured but it turned out to be their singer!!!
    man he is one hell of a dodgey live vocalist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Had a good weekend, but definitely considering going foreign next year, as been to oxegen 3 times now, and its a bit samey every time, and I want to venture outside of Ireland and see other festivals, rather than stay in boring Ireland all my life. Good weather for once though. Saw some funny shít last night though when I came back to the campsite from Pendulum, who YET again were unbelievable. They're was absolutely brutal pits for Slam at that. Definitely gig of the weekend.

Highlights for me: Tiga, Steve Aoki, Swedish house Mafia (how good was that intro? I've never seen so many pyrotechnics for a show also, and they had some HUGEEEEE drops in that set!, was easy to get into the pit also surprisingly, when they played Punk (Arty Rock-N-Rolla Mix) by Ferry Corsten, that was just unreal!)

Chase and Status (gutted I didn't go in the pit for them, met some friends later who were and said it was crazy when they did the wall of death, and they're was security standing in the centre, I was pissed off, but crowd was much better at pendulum, so saved my energy I suppose),

Pendulum, the bit of Coldplay I saw (Fix You was great, and so was "Every tear drop is a waterfall"), Fake Blood, Tinie Tempah,

Deadmau5 (had a great set I have to say, super sound out of it, nearly pissed myself laughing at the people who thought the "blue screen of death" half way through the set was real, it was nearly as good as his 09 set, but I prefer his older stuff anyway, also I had lots of people around me asking me questions about deadmau5, was like an encyclopaedia for the mau5 for them :pac:)

Lowlights: The clashes, sitting in the campsite which can be very boring at times.

Didn't get a hangover once over the weekend also which was surprising :D

Gutted I missed Afrojack, but can always see him again in Dublin or something, and Pendulum was awesome anyway. Also missed Bloody Beetroots, but saw them twice already, and deadmau5 was class. But if Metallica return to rock werchter next year, im getting a ticket instantly.

Advertisement