Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

Mr.S wrote: »
    Whats everyones source about the really low attendance?.

If you were there this year and have been there on any previous years you would easily notice the difference in attendance.There is no need for a source to tell you of the attendance if you can see for yourself with your own eyes.Still though it was no harm having such a lower crowd.There have been years in the past when it was jammed and it just doesn't be as fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Sorry to change the subject but, to anyone who was at Foo Fighters. Was it just me or did Dave Grohl say he's coming back soon or he'd come back?

After their proformance, I definitely go see them again

@ 5.15....

Fingers Crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

@ 5.15....

I fairly sure he said he before that as well, I am convinced he did, I am sure someone on here also heard that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

@ 5.15....

Every band in the history of gigs says see you soon at the end of gigs, I wouldn't base much hope on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭soyawhatsup

I fairly sure he said he before that as well, I am convinced he did, I am sure someone on here also heard that!

He said something along the lines of "We already know when we're coming back and it's pretty soon" Let's hope so anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

He said it at least 3 times that they'd be back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

Have to say despite all the howya's and scumbag's crawling around the place by Sunday I found this year's Oxegen to have been quite stress free. Maybe the fact that I didn't camp contributed to that. :D

However I did think the sound was woeful. Was it just me or was the bass far too loud on most of the stages? I can't remember what band it was but I could hardly hear the guitars or the singer because the bass was ripping through my eardrums. And no, I wasn't too close to a speaker.

Friday wasn't the greatest day. The Script were crap. But then again I don't like them so what should I have expected.

The Black Eyed Peas were entertaining in some odd way. But Fergie seemed drunk or just plain oblivious to the fact that she was playing a live show. And Will.I.Am rapped for three minutes straight about "Rocking in Duuuuubblinnnn". Total fail.

Weezer were definitely the best out of a bad bunch. And I was glad to have stumbled across The Riptide Movement. Seriously enthusiastic energy from that band.

Arctic Monkeys started off good and then spiraled into a boring set. Maybe my impatience for the Foo Fighters to get on the stage was affecting how much I enjoyed their performance. The Foos displayed what sort of performance and music should be at "Europe's Favourite Rock 'n' Roll Weekend" (MCD's words, not mine) Bloody amazing so they were!

Beyonce was brilliant but the fact that I'm a girl and I paid a long visit to the Captain Morgan's tent prior to her show may have made her in my eyes the greatest performer on the planet. But maybe if I was stone cold sober she might not have been as good as the Captain led me to believe. :D

Coldplay. Not a big fan when they're on the radio but by golly do they put on a show. But then again, they used fireworks and inflated balls to make their show epic whilst the Foo Fighters just used their instruments to make THEIR show epic. See what I'm getting at here??

But once you take your eyes off the music and pay attention to what's around you there is far too much drink allowed into the campsites. Far too many young ones stumbling around off their faces on God knows what.

I was in the pit for a lot of acts but by Sunday I'd given up on going in there. Only half the people were there for the music. Everyone else just wanted to start mosh pits and talk to each other. I saw two people going for a piss IN the pits. One of them was a girl. Seriously off-putting. But I'm not going to let a few scumbags with a combined IQ of 4 to ruin my weekend. I had a blast with my friends. Met a lot of decent people. I thoroughly enjoyed the mature audience that helped to somewhat make up for the kids lying on the ground.

I'd go next year if they sort out a decent ticket price, place a quota on the drink and get some decent acts that won't attract a crap crowd. Otherwise I have nothing to complain about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Mr.S wrote: »
    Don't bother posting here again if all you want to do is brag about how you stole from people.

/infracted.

--

And just a FYI to MCD/Oxegen if you happen to read this, you really should have a better system for checking wristbands, have scattered security doesn't work and loads of people get through. Why not get the searchers into the arena to check everyones wristband? The amount of day ticket holders staying for 3 days was shocking. Also loads of people just cut of the excess red on a legit 3/4 day wristband and gave it to there mates to wrap around.

Mod feel free to ban me for calling you an idiot but you are an idiot. This guy is clearly taking the piss and you have taken the bait, hook, line and sinker. I think the part where he said " people I know were after me" gave it away. Take a bow Mr.S

• Advertisement

I'd go next year if they sort out a decent ticket price, place a quota on the drink and get some decent acts that won't attract a crap crowd. Otherwise I have nothing to complain about.

This shows total naivety to what oxegen is. The whole idea is to be as mainstream as possible to drag in the most people, the way to do that is to book the itunes top 20 and thats pretty much what they do year in year out. There is zero point in bitching about the lineups, if you want a festival with music quality look elsewhere, oxegen strives at providing commercial crap and selling heineken.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Sorry to change the subject but, to anyone who was at Foo Fighters. Was it just me or did Dave Grohl say he's coming back soon or he'd come back?

After their proformance, I definitely go see them again

He said "We actually know when we're coming back and its very F*ckin soon" :D

Foo Fighters live stream of their show from London starts in 10 minutes on itunes! You can access it through their facebook & Twitter page :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

Just home now from my first Oxegen.

To be honest, I was between two minds about going. I've wanted to go for years and years and I'd always tell myself that I'd get a ticket closer to the date...and in the end I always find myself not bothering. But this year was different, despite my not thinking that it had the strongest of line ups.

It was mad though, the second I arrived to the area I found myself extremely excited. It was just me and my girlfriend, along with a friend who was there for just the Friday and two more friends who were in the campervan site. After taking almost two hours to get our tent up in the red camp (near enough to the Cosy Camper shop/route to Centra) we had a quick drink or two then headed out to the main stage!

Saturday was great for us. Got bored of the Blackout fairly fast (we had seen them open up for MCR before and I was impressed at the time...) so had a walk around. I enjoyed All Time Low, but God their on-stage persona is so fake and annoying. As a massive blink-182 fan it makes me cringe when I hear the jokes they try to make. 9/10 of them were ripped off or completely stolen from blink.

Weezer amazed me. Loved them. Teenage Dirtbag was a great surprise and possibly one of my songs of the weekend. MCR put on a great show too, as per usual. Wanted to see the Strokes but instead we headed back to camp for awhile to get some more drinks in. Came back for Noah and the Whale, who were also ****ing brilliant. Really enjoyed their straightforward performance. Afterwards we went to the BEP's for abit and nearly vomited at how bad they were. Will.I.Am's "So glad to be back at the o2...I mean Oxegen" made me facepalm, along with his "DUBLIN, DUBLIN" rap...

Saturday we headed out to Fox Avenue, who were fun, and then chilled untill Two Door. They had a huge turnout and I loved them! Was tempted to go to Burno Mars but it got kinda chilly at that point so we ran back to the tents to get hoodies. My misses fell asleep the second we got in so I let her nap for abit and we got back in time for Beady Eye, who in my opinion were bloody ****E. Gallagher looked like he didn't even want to be there. After that horrible experience we went into the pit for the Arctics and Foos. Both were EPIC. Probably my top two for the weekend. AM's set was perfect IMO and we had so much fun and made friends with the people around is in the pit. Foos proved that they are the best band in the world, too. Seemed so sincere throughout, and they made me wonder if they'll possibly be doing Slane next year?

Sunday was kinda boring for me, almost like a day for chilling and recovering from the great night before. Sat in the grass for Ryan Sheridan as we met up with some more friends who got day tickets. Ke$ha was just horrible, but got a huge crowd for obvious reasons. Made me cringe when she started 'playing' that guitar which looked like it wasn't even plugged in. Caught the end of Fight Like Apes who were awesome as per usual. Manics cheered me up, nice little set from a very underrated band, and the we went onto Jimmy Eat World, who are one of my favourite bands. Was really dissapointed by the turnout for them, didnt even fill the pit as the rain started to come down. Great set by JEW, however and I loved finally getting the chance to see them. After this we headed back to our tent to find that my girlfriend's bag had been 'stolen'. After some panicing and disappointment I went down to the garda post to report it, only to find out afterwards that it was just our friends pulling a prank. (Was embarrassing as **** to have to go back and tell the gards that :p) So, we missed the National because of that, which I didn't mind as I don't really know much of their stuff, and any excuse to not see Beyonce is good for me. Went to Pendulum for abit, another great show then headed to Coldplay just in time for Viva La Vida! Good end to the festival despite me not being a huge fan of Coldplay. Seeing Christy Moore was a class act by Chris Martin IMO.

RE: the festival in general. I think that it's pretty well organised. If you go in with an open mind and at least have a good interest in 3 or 4 acts per day it's a fantastic weekend. What brings it down IMO are the people. So many pill heads that would just sit around the campsites all day until Deadmau5, SHM or whomever. There's never any trouble in the arena from what I saw and everyone seems to be in good spirits, but at night you see people falling on tents, stealing and just being annoying. We expected this so we didn't let it dampen our weekend too much, but I feel bad for anyone who was affected by these idiots.

Anyone know the name of the fella beatboxing before PlanB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Anyone know the name of the fella beatboxing before PlanB?

Faith SFX it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Glad to hear you got up there!! I was wondering if you were up there when she was going along the front!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

@ 5.15....

Sick I had to leave halfway through their set, otherwise we would have been stuck in the bus traffic for hours! :(

Faith SFX it usually is.

Thats him, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

wow that is commitment, I wouldn't be able to stick that, 1:30 to like midnight...

I was in the pit for beyonce and coldplay alright, but not that early...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Mousey- wrote: »
    anyone know who the girl was with Deadmau5? I have no idea who that was....

SOFI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

seanbmc wrote: »
    SOFI.

She needs a ladder in case anyone's wondering..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

C__ wrote: »
    I ask you why in the hell did you take that stuff with you? They said not to bring things like that for obvious reasons. More security guards means more money meaning higher prices. I was not robbed threathened or anything at it. Infact I got on well with everyone around me and no one bothered me. Regarding the slashings id say drugs and alcohol was involved

your sarcasm radar appears to be broken..

Faith SFX - Really wasnt expecting this when he came out on stage:

Short of Two Door's Undercover Martyn - Apologies for the even worse sound, DSLR has a shocking mic:

Propaganda - F'ckers wouldnt let me sleep on thursday:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I ask you why in the hell did you take that stuff with you? They said not to bring things like that for obvious reasons. More security guards means more money meaning higher prices. I was not robbed threathened or anything at it. Infact I got on well with everyone around me and no one bothered me. Regarding the slashings id say drugs and alcohol was involved

facepalm.jpg?1248715065

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Anyone head to Odd Future?

OFWGKTA were insane they were the best act by a mile. Crowd surfing, climbing the stage setting, Tyler jumping into the crowd with as broken foot, these guys are f**kin crazy. They were amazing they interacted the the crowd brilliantly they were so full of energy. Their music is out of this world. You could tell they were enjoying it. One thing i noticed was the amount of Media at the act, No other event did i see as much media.

OFWGKTA were insane they were the best act by a mile. Crowd surfing, climbing the stage setting, Tyler jumping into the crowd with as broken foot, these guys are f**kin crazy. They were amazing they interacted the the crowd brilliantly they were so full of energy. Their music is out of this world. You could tell they were enjoying it. One thing i noticed was the amount of Media at the act, No other event did i see as much media.

Damn, pissed I was only shooting Saturday now :|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

lordgoat wrote: »
    Foggynotions on twitter saying it was a bit lack lustre. Poor crowd at it too. Roll on the august gig.

Reason for a poor crowd? Maybe because they only got big in America 5 months ago?

Advertisement