Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Don't know if this has been posted already but surely it must go down as the worst performance in Irish festival history???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

dorgasm wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted already but surely it must go down as the worst performance in Irish festival history???

Didn't know there was a karoke bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If anyone bumped into Captain America on Sunday, thanks for coming and saying hi! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Having worked at Oxegen (security) back in 2004/2005 I swore I'd never go back to camp. Went back in 2006 for a day to see the Chilli's but that was it.

Then the missus won 3 day camping tickets so we were going :o

I booked us into the Green Campsite, which was a Godsend. Stayed with Tangerine Fields and found the whole process really quick and easy. Not an ounce of trouble throughout the weekend in Green, short of an arsehole with a guitar who wouldn't play requests round the campfire on Saturday night (jokes!).

I took a walk round Blue with my brother on Fri, and while it was messy, nothing what I'd experienced in 04/05.

Wasn't really impressed with Deadmou5, thought it would have worked better in a tent. Foos were great, as was Coldplay (which everyone is saying was surprising).

We were standing in the (relatively empty) Heiniken tent just as Calvin Harris was starting and I never saw such a rush to a stage! Great set tbh.

As mentioned before..

Recommendation (from a security point of view):

Forget trying to confiscate drink from people going in. You are simply (I was going to say forcing, but..) strongly encouraging everyone to get hammered before they get to the arena. The manpower involved in enforcing the drink policy could have really been utilised better in the campsites it would seem.

Get bigger fences.

Get a better way of checking wristbands. I was tired of being asked for mine all weekend, and was also tired of hearing people bragging that they or their friends got in for free.

Overall though, great weekend. Glad we went green.. so so glad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

The way people go on about the knackers is definatly a gross exageration. I saw a small crowd of them around but they didn't seem to bother anyone. I camped with like 10 friends and we had no trouble. The slashings were no doubt over drugs or drink.
    The weekend was amazing so many good acts Odd Future were the highlight for me they were amazing.
    The only down point, the roughness of camping :/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Tenks wrote: »
    Saturday we headed out to Fox Avenue, who were fun, and then chilled untill Two Door. They had a huge turnout and I loved them! Was tempted to go to Burno Mars but it got kinda chilly at that point so we ran back to the tents to get hoodies. My misses fell asleep the second we got in so I let her nap for abit and we got back in time for Beady Eye, who in my opinion were bloody ****E. Gallagher looked like he didn't even want to be there. After that horrible experience we went into the pit for the Arctics and Foos. Both were EPIC. Probably my top two for the weekend. AM's set was perfect IMO and we had so much fun and made friends with the people around is in the pit. Foos proved that they are the best band in the world, too. Seemed so sincere throughout, and they made me wonder if they'll possibly be doing Slane next year?

By the looks of it , id pick either RHCP or Foo's doing Slane next year. Personally i would prefer Foo's .

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

maybe next time rebrand the festival and change it to a two day event? also get rid of the funfair rubbish as that always attracts the scumbags. even though its a music fest why not theme it the next time?, as in its either dance, rock, pop etc. maybe that would keep the scobies and scangers away from the decent music fans? my first time going and the horror stories i was being told were freaking me out. however i was pleasantly surprised with the camping. we got a nice spot in the quiet camping area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Weezer and The Strokes made my weekend amazing. :D
    Also saw: Fun Lovin' Criminals, The Blackout, All Time Low, Fox Avenue, Hurts, The Pretty Reckless, Brandon Flowers, Manic Street Preachers, Coldplay, Rubberbandits... and bits of Paolo Nutini, MCR, Bipolar Empire, The National, Beady Eye, Bruno Mars and (unfortunately) Beyonce's first three songs.

I manage to avoid most of the scumbags though, the worst we got was a drunken marriage proposal, a guy using my back as a drum and a girl who looked about 14 announcing that we weren't her friends if we wouldn't dance like rappers with her.

Best weekend of my year so far :P

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

Foo Fighters, Jimmy Eat World, Weezer and The Strokes made my weekend amazing. :D
    Also saw: Fun Lovin' Criminals, The Blackout, All Time Low, Fox Avenue, Hurts, The Pretty Reckless, Brandon Flowers, Manic Street Preachers, Coldplay, Rubberbandits... and bits of Paolo Nutini, MCR, Bipolar Empire, The National, Beady Eye, Bruno Mars and (unfortunately) Beyonce's first three songs.

I manage to avoid most of the scumbags though, the worst we got was a drunken marriage proposal, a guy using my back as a drum and a girl who looked about 14 announcing that we weren't her friends if we wouldn't dance like rappers with her.

Best weekend of my year so far :P

fair play to you! you saw loads. i find genuine music fans will always make it their business to see acts and avoid the madness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

C__ wrote: »
    Reason for a poor crowd? Maybe because they only got big in America 5 months ago?

nope, look at the crowd they pulled at TITP and even primavera in may (a smaller festival) Just another band really ill suited to oxegen. Much like braids on the saturday. It's **** like that and Brunker that make it such a joke of a festival. Delighted to have not given it any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

OFWGKTA were insane they were the best act by a mile. Crowd surfing, climbing the stage setting, Tyler jumping into the crowd with as broken foot, these guys are f**kin crazy. They were amazing they interacted the the crowd brilliantly they were so full of energy. Their music is out of this world. You could tell they were enjoying it. One thing i noticed was the amount of Media at the act, No other event did i see as much media.

Great to hear a good review of it. I can't wait for their show in August. It should be sensational.

I've been watching some of their live performances on YouTube here today. They did one in Amsterdam where they invited the crowd on stage. Hopefully the Academy show is just as insane.

Was Tyler moving around much with the cast on his leg?

At T in the Park he spent the time sitting in a fold up chair I think. Soon after they were showered in bottles by the crowd and then they walked off the stage.

SWAAAAAAAAAAAG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

fair play to you! you saw loads. i find genuine music fans will always make it their business to see acts and avoid the madness.

There were a load of bands on the bill that I wanted to see and that my friend (who has the widest range of musical tastes of anyone I know) wanted to see, so we decided to try get to them all. Only missed The Sawdoctors and Slash (damn clashes) so it was a success all round. :D

We didn't quite "avoid the madness" - madness follows us :P - but we didn't spend the weekend drinking if that's what you mean. I don't really get why people spend €200+ on tickets and then don't go to many bands or remember any of it the next day. Just seems like a bit of waste to me... Not looking to offend anyone, feel free to enlighten me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

lordgoat wrote: »
    nope, look at the crowd they pulled at TITP and even primavera in may (a smaller festival) Just another band really ill suited to oxegen. Much like braids on the saturday. It's **** like that and Brunker that make it such a joke of a festival. Delighted to have not given it any money.
    I don't see how the crowd was small. The pit was packed to the brim i was squashed against the front barrier and the area behind me was fairly packed. Do you want to tell me how you know the size of the crowd without going there? I was there and the place was pretty full. How are they ill suited?
    Great to hear a good review of it. I can't wait for their show in August. It should be sensational.

I've been watching some of their live performances on YouTube here today. They did one in Amsterdam where they invited the crowd on stage. Hopefully the Academy show is just as insane.

Was Tyler moving around much with the cast on his leg?

At T in the Park he spent the time sitting in a fold up chair I think. Soon after they were showered in bottles by the crowd and then they walked off the stage.

SWAAAAAAAAAAAG

Tyler at first sat down for a bit and started saying how annoyed he was he couldn't go crazy. Soon he began to pick up braclets thrown at him from the crowd. Then he basically was like "f*uck this" hopped off his seat, off the stage and jumped up into the crowd. Bout 3 or 4 min later he got back in his seat and starting dancing on the seat.

Tyler at first sat down for a bit and started saying how annoyed he was he couldn't go crazy. Soon he began to pick up braclets thrown at him from the crowd. Then he basically was like "f*uck this" hopped off his seat, off the stage and jumped up into the crowd. Bout 3 or 4 min later he got back in his seat and starting dancing on the seat.

Hahaha class. The chap is crazy. Hope he minds himself for August now.

This is the last question I have for you (none of my friends went to see them, my brother didn't know who they were and another friend said "who are them cúnts" :mad:). Would you have any idea of the songs played? I presume the likes of Yonkers and Sandwitches were played for definite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

baz2009 wrote: »
    Propaganda were woeful at OxBox every night. Why does it take 5 DJs to press the play button? They got hammered when their set up cut out last night too.:pac:
    One them (think it was that Postman guy who just stands there making hand gestures) asked me if I had any drugs around the back of it last night. Lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

lucylu wrote: »
    an oxygen festival goer was admitting to Naas A&E on Saturday night covered in blood. it transpired he was high on drugs the injuries were caused by self-cannibalism :eek:

It had to be the guy from the pit at Beady Eye. He tried to start fights with everyone, until we stole his hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Have tickets even gone on sale for august?

There's the video where they invite the crowd up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,667 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aw man, reaing these comments is making me cry nearly :( then again id me holiday in dubai but im heartbroken still haha.

went last year, loved it, will certainly be going next year!! im thinking, with glastonbury on hold next year, will the attendence be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Had to leave Sunday night because the camp was going insane to the point were I actually though I was going to get stabbed or something :L
    So a steward said we could leave our bags at a meeting tower and get them after pendulum finished up. So he put the last bag in there and said "When yas come back I want 50euro between everyone for the bags" (Yes, he really was serious)
    But we took it as a joke, and walked off to the arena.
    Came back and he actually asked for 50 euro, then 5quid per item (Everyone had at least 2 bags in a group of 7. I had 4 incl sleeping bag)
    Of course, this just got me pissed off to the point were I was ready to just over power the gob****e and take me stuff off him.

We got our tents wrecked when we went for Odd Future, and told the stewards walking by, and they didn't care about it and just walked off. (One guy actually stopped a few feet ahead and got his mate to take pictures) So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Shocking security all weekend! I think it's fair to say that they were lucky no one was killed.! Everyone was either drunk off there face, or taking drugs, and it just got annoying. Defo won't be going to for a 4 day camping again. Had a great time when I was away from my own tent and with a different group of friends, or watching some of the great acts (Strokes, monkeys, Pendulum and more) but the general camping was terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Mister Man wrote: »
    Had to leave Sunday night because the camp was going insane to the point were I actually though I was going to get stabbed or something :L
    So a steward said we could leave our bags at a meeting tower and get them after pendulum finished up. So he put the last bag in there and said "When yas come back I want 50euro between everyone for the bags" (Yes, he really was serious)
    Came back and he actually asked for 50 euro, then 5quid per item (Everyone had at least 2 bags in a group of 7. I had 4 incl sleeping bag)
    Of course, this just got me pissed off to the point were I was ready to just over power the gob****e and take me stuff off him.

We got our tents wrecked when we went for Odd Future, and told the stewards walking by, and they didn't care about it and just walked off. (One guy actually stopped a few feet ahead and got his mate to take pictures) So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Shocking security all weekend! I think it's fair to say that they were lucky no one was killed.! Everyone was either drunk off there face, or taking drugs, and it just got annoying. Defo won't be going to for a 4 day camping again. Had a great time when I was away from my own tent and with a different group of friends, or watching some of the great acts (Strokes, monkeys, Pendulum and more) but the general camping was terrible

Sorry to be preaching at you but do you think you retaliating by ripping tents was a good move? If everyone did that, everyone in turn would retaliate. You dont really have the right to complain if you behaved that way. Two wrongs and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Indeed, that's how to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rhythm90

You sir, are a ****ing idiot

maybe next time rebrand the festival and change it to a two day event? also get rid of the funfair rubbish as that always attracts the scumbags. even though its a music fest why not theme it the next time?, as in its either dance, rock, pop etc. maybe that would keep the scobies and scangers away from the decent music fans? my first time going and the horror stories i was being told were freaking me out. however i was pleasantly surprised with the camping. we got a nice spot in the quiet camping area.
    1. scumbags can't resist the tea cups and bumper cars, I think its the bright lights

2. Its not themed, hence they great and varied line up, capitalism mate, they won't be theming it...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

rhythm90 wrote: »
    You sir, are a ****ing idiot

I know :D

@Miss Dymph: I don't think it was the right move. But the lot of us were just generally piss off at that point. Also in my defence I didn't rip the tents =P If that helps anyone. I wouldn't actually do it again (Wrecking the place) It just helped after the general non helpful stewards & Gardí to blow of some steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Eh yeah, for people who act like asshats and start destroying tents. Regardless of who did it first, you deserved it.

You payed him?
    you should of just grabbed your stuff and left, the guy was an oppurtunist....

aflib wrote: »
    any beady eye reviews folks?

Ta

Great show. Liam bantering with the crowd.

Liam Gallagher has become a parody of himself.

He is an embarrassment with his haircut, his useless band and his "mad for it" attitude.

At least Noel has had the good sense to move on. Liam looks like he is stuck in 1994 as his wrinkles enlarge on his face.

Not to use facts to dispel moronic ignorance but Liam Gallagher looked like a LAD in 1994; he looks like Lord Farquaad now! No one in 1994 looked like Liam, except maybe Bobby Gillespie. Nice try though mate.

• Advertisement

seanbmc wrote: »

Have tickets even gone on sale for august?

There's the video where they invite the crowd up.

Such an insane looking gig. Unreal way to end the concert by inviting the crowd up on stage. Some chap in the middle of it with a skateboard haha.

No they haven't gone on sale yet I don't think. They better hurry on with them, the 23rd of August isn't far off.

Advertisement