Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Mister Man wrote: »
    I know :D

@Miss Dymph: I don't think it was the right move. But the lot of us were just generally piss off at that point. Also in my defence I didn't rip the tents =P If that helps anyone. I wouldn't actually do it again (Wrecking the place) It just helped after the general non helpful stewards & Gardí to blow of some steam.

To be honest if i had come back to my tent to find it ripped open and cans and personal items thrown everywhere, im not sure 'it helped to blow off steam' would be a good enough reason for me! Bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Finally recovered enough to write a decent post.

I personally had a great weekend anyway. it worked out that I was actually by myself for a lot of the weekend. few reasons for it, i slept in the car which i had intended to do anyway but mates that were going to be camping who I would have hung around with were sold fake tickets. The only other people who i knew down were in the green campsite and i wasnt even allowed in to have a few cans with them.so it was either be a loner or make the most of it. Turns out I think it was for the best!! I saw so many acts over the weekend that i wouldnt have and ive never spoke to so many people in my life. go down with a friendly attitude and you'll meet sound people. Made "friends" every night and drank with them in the campsites. Even total skangers, once ye spoke to them and had a bit of craic they were fine, kind of a case of getting them on your side so to speak.

music wise highlights were swedish house mafia, foo fighters and coldplay. very impressed with beyonce as an entertainer too.

silent disco was great craic as was the heineken bar inside the arena.

As for security i thought they were quiet strict with the searches, especially the search from car park back to campsite. I was caught with a small amount of something I shouldnt have had but that was purely down to how much i was searched. The guards thankfully let it slide (tiny amount). if security put as much effort into patrolling the site rather than drink searches theyre wouldnt be half the amount of problems. managed to get drink into the main arena everytime though.

Sleeping in the car was the best idea i had, although at the same time its bad that it has had to come down to that just to feel safe at it-you should be able to camp without fear of theft etc. great craic in the car park though too, every second car seemed to have people sleeping in them so everyone got chatting.

overall a great weekend, but i wouldnt camp at it from here on out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Anyone go to Crystal Castles on Sunday?

Good/Bad review?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjmxDdwNzmg&feature=player_embedded#at=59

hahaha.. brilliant video ..first part is "epic" !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

dunno why everybody's complaining so much, i personally had a great time and enjoyed it the most of the three times i'd went (08 and 09 previously). Weather was lovely, craic was had and the music was brilliant (coldplay and foos being the obvious examples, though i really enjoyed pretty much every act i went to).

Scumbag trouble was imo not an awful lot different to the other years i went but was higher profile given what happened, though none of myself or the crowd i went with had a bit of bother at all. It's a right shame they can ruin oxegen for so many like they do every year. If you ask me it's definitely up to security on this one, they're either not let do enough or they won't bother (which is what i reckoned).

This has to be sorted out, get more professionally trained and experienced staff in to run the place instead of whatever lads they pull off the street in tallaght (i'm not generalising btw if it sounds like that) or something which seemed to have been the case. I personally remember two lads coming over to the crowd of us in the blue camp with strong northside dublin accents bragging about how they were finished for the day and the job was "a f***ing doss" before going on about the tents they'd robbed on the way down to us. Unbelievable.

Either get a proper staff in to police the place or get more guards in who will do it, its small wonder that scumbags are running riot when half the crowd in charge dont care cos they either cant be arsed or they dont want to go after their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

I went down to Oxegen for the Sunday only. Would have loved to go for the weekend but was working the other two days.
    Headed down on Dublin bus, which took less than an hour. Had a few drinks before entering the arena, and then managed to see rubberbandits, bit of Bipolar Empire, OCS who were one of my highlights, the manics, jimmy eat world, end of crystal castles set, beyonce-who I really impressed me as a performer, and then up on the vantage point for Pendulum which was an epic end to the night. Also managed to catch a bit of Ride On with coldplay. All in all a fantastic day-got Dublin Bus home and was back 45 minutes before my friends who were driving home even though we left around the same time.

I personally thought it was very well organised-although it may have seemed particularly so due to the numbers being so down compared with other years (really noticeable on the sunday imo, and that was supposedly the busiest day!). No queues for food/drinks/toilets-and the loos were crazy clean considering its a festival! No need for Vicks under my nose for once :P

Also suprised to hear everyone wanting to get rid of the funfair rides-apart from the price I thought they were a nice addition and my and my friends had a bit of craic on them! No scumbags in sight (and no...we are not the scumbags!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Great show. Liam bantering with the crowd.

They were crap I thought.

I enjoy their music but Liam didn't have much interaction with the crowd at all, he just stood there and sang.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Had to leave Sunday night because the camp was going insane to the point were I actually though I was going to get stabbed or something :L
    So a steward said we could leave our bags at a meeting tower and get them after pendulum finished up. So he put the last bag in there and said "When yas come back I want 50euro between everyone for the bags" (Yes, he really was serious)
    But we took it as a joke, and walked off to the arena.
    Came back and he actually asked for 50 euro, then 5quid per item (Everyone had at least 2 bags in a group of 7. I had 4 incl sleeping bag)
    Of course, this just got me pissed off to the point were I was ready to just over power the gob****e and take me stuff off him.

We got our tents wrecked when we went for Odd Future, and told the stewards walking by, and they didn't care about it and just walked off. (One guy actually stopped a few feet ahead and got his mate to take pictures) So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Shocking security all weekend! I think it's fair to say that they were lucky no one was killed.! Everyone was either drunk off there face, or taking drugs, and it just got annoying. Defo won't be going to for a 4 day camping again. Had a great time when I was away from my own tent and with a different group of friends, or watching some of the great acts (Strokes, monkeys, Pendulum and more) but the general camping was terrible

What a moronic and cowardly act. It's a pity the owners of the tents didn't come back and catch you, Iwould say you would have done some stuttering. If you were feeling that brave maybe you should have told the security guard he wasn't getting the 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Any official attendance figures out yet? Just curious after seeing how tiny the crowd was for the Foo Fighters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I know :D

@Miss Dymph: I don't think it was the right move. But the lot of us were just generally piss off at that point. Also in my defence I didn't rip the tents =P If that helps anyone. I wouldn't actually do it again (Wrecking the place) It just helped after the general non helpful stewards & Gardí to blow of some steam.

I hope you didn't get your stuff back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

connundrum wrote: »
    Having worked at Oxegen (security) back in 2004/2005 I swore I'd never go back to camp. Went back in 2006 for a day to see the Chilli's but that was it.

Then the missus won 3 day camping tickets so we were going :o
    I booked us into the Green Campsite, which was a Godsend. Stayed with Tangerine Fields and found the whole process really quick and easy. Not an ounce of trouble throughout the weekend in Green, short of an arsehole with a guitar who wouldn't play requests round the campfire on Saturday night (jokes!).

I took a walk round Blue with my brother on Fri, and while it was messy, nothing what I'd experienced in 04/05.

Wasn't really impressed with Deadmou5, thought it would have worked better in a tent. Foos were great, as was Coldplay (which everyone is saying was surprising).

We were standing in the (relatively empty) Heiniken tent just as Calvin Harris was starting and I never saw such a rush to a stage! Great set tbh.

As mentioned before..

Recommendation (from a security point of view):

Forget trying to confiscate drink from people going in. You are simply (I was going to say forcing, but..) strongly encouraging everyone to get hammered before they get to the arena. The manpower involved in enforcing the drink policy could have really been utilised better in the campsites it would seem.

Get bigger fences.

Get a better way of checking wristbands. I was tired of being asked for mine all weekend, and was also tired of hearing people bragging that they or their friends got in for free.
    Overall though, great weekend. Glad we went green.. so so glad!

And how much did the free tickets you bragged about cost you???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

muletide wrote: »
    And how much did the free tickets you bragged about cost you???

:confused:

Winning a camping ticket, and sneaking in with a mate's wristband on is a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

maximoose wrote: »
    :confused:

Winning a camping ticket, and sneaking in with a mate's wristband on is a bit different.

I think he's just taking the piss because you complained about people bragging about getting in for free when technically that is exactly what you did. You should have clarified the "getting in for free" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

Novella wrote: »
    So you got into Oxegen without buying a ticket? No offence, but people who do that actually annoy me to no end. What makes you think you're entitled to something that others have to pay for? After a weekend of people begging for my wristband to sneak in their friends, I'm just sick of it.

...and look at the morons thanking his post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

This post has been deleted.

I'm sure she washed her hands in Dettol afterwards.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

karaokeman wrote: »
    They were crap I thought.

I enjoy their music but Liam didn't have much interaction with the crowd at all, he just stood there and sang.

Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Have to say was by far the best weekend of my life. Highlight for me was definitely Arctic Monkeys, especially Mardy Bum, did not expect them to play it at all! Whole set was perfect as well I thought..Foo's, Coldplay ( Christy Moore was unreal during that too), Weezer, Script, Noah and the Whale, Saw Doctors, OCS will all stay long in the memory too. Plenty more just can't think now.

Got lucky I suppose where we camped in Blue camp, not one bit of hassle. Soundest people ever around us..Fair play to ye! Going to spend the next month I'd say reliving it all through facebook and that. So anyway thanks to the acts and everyone who made it a serious weekend for me :)

By the way any word on tv footage bein shown? Haven't read back through the thread yet, hoping they have something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lollyp26

Did no one think it was shocking that beyonce finished half an hour early? I'm by no means a big fan but was in the pit for her as wanted to get a good spot for coldplay. God knows what they paid her and she only played 2/3 of her time slot. Really surprised there hasn't been more about this. Foos and coldplay were the highlights of the weekend, 2 great sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Lollyp26 wrote: »
    Did no one think it was shocking that beyonce finished half an hour early? I'm by no means a big fan but was in the pit for her as wanted to get a good spot for coldplay. God knows what they paid her and she only played 2/3 of her time slot. Really surprised there hasn't been more about this. Foos and coldplay were the highlights of the weekend, 2 great sets.

Yeah was same for me, I was near the back to catch a bit of her act and see what it was like..Thought she had a good bit left so decided to head and try catch Chase Status. Then realised as I was walking that she was over so went back to get in the queue for Coldplay in the pit.

So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Right so if a small group of people act like scumbags it makes it acceptable for you to do the same. You do realise that by going around and wrecking peoples tents that you may have ruined their weekend and lets not forget that by engaging in such activity it makes you a scumbag. I'm glad you're weekend was ruined, shame that you had to ruin some other peoples weekend in order to feel good about yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PuddleMooders

callaway92 wrote: »
    Anyone go to Crystal Castles on Sunday?

Good/Bad review?

Saw a few of their songs. I think there must have been a lighting failure as when we got there the stage was just dark. I've never listened to them before but they seemed to be putting on a good show. Had to leave to catch the end of Slash though :) Lights still weren't working when we were leaving. Bit unfortunate if they never got the lights fixed, or do they always play their sets with the lights off?? :D

Anyone else stay for all of Crystal Castles??

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Had to leave Sunday night because the camp was going insane to the point were I actually though I was going to get stabbed or something :L
    So a steward said we could leave our bags at a meeting tower and get them after pendulum finished up. So he put the last bag in there and said "When yas come back I want 50euro between everyone for the bags" (Yes, he really was serious)
    But we took it as a joke, and walked off to the arena.
    Came back and he actually asked for 50 euro, then 5quid per item (Everyone had at least 2 bags in a group of 7. I had 4 incl sleeping bag)
    Of course, this just got me pissed off to the point were I was ready to just over power the gob****e and take me stuff off him.

We got our tents wrecked when we went for Odd Future, and told the stewards walking by, and they didn't care about it and just walked off. (One guy actually stopped a few feet ahead and got his mate to take pictures) So we decided if everyone else is aloud to wreck tents, we were going to join in, and started ripping tents, throwing cans, food, anything we could get our hands on

Shocking security all weekend! I think it's fair to say that they were lucky no one was killed.! Everyone was either drunk off there face, or taking drugs, and it just got annoying. Defo won't be going to for a 4 day camping again. Had a great time when I was away from my own tent and with a different group of friends, or watching some of the great acts (Strokes, monkeys, Pendulum and more) but the general camping was terrible

So just to get this straight,..

You were the real hard man going around wrecking tents, getting your anger out at one stage, then suddenly the campsite got too rough for you and you had to run away, and then you got intimidated by a steward for your bags?

Some hard man you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Great show. Liam bantering with the crowd.

Met the whole band (Beady Eye). Got a pic with Liam and Andy Bell and got "Different Gear, still speeding" signed by them all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

anyone know if oxegen is gonna be shown on tv or has been shown anywhere? would love to watch it again. beyonce was on for far too little time, disappointing! plan b, paolo nutini and coldplay were my highlights!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭C__

Hahaha class. The chap is crazy. Hope he minds himself for August now.

This is the last question I have for you (none of my friends went to see them, my brother didn't know who they were and another friend said "who are them cúnts" :mad:). Would you have any idea of the songs played? I presume the likes of Yonkers and Sandwitches were played for definite?

Yonkers, Sandwitches was mixed with another, French, Radicals ammmm They played Earl at the very end.
    Damn I can't remember the others.
    Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Monkey_Pirate

Fierce scummy though as per usual. Saw some awful stuff from some topless fella, celtic crest tatoo'd on his heart attackin some other fella who was holding up an israeli flag in the pit..it got a bit..heated.

I saw that too, after the celtic crest guy left the pit the israeli guy was bulling for about an hour afterwards calling out for him to come back and "finish what he started". Scary stuff. Was the only bit of real violence I saw all weekend though.

The ATM's were a complete disgrace, took two tries to get any money out of them, each try taking about 5 minutes to run through.

Other than that, good times were had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Lollyp26 wrote: »

The hour between Beyonce and Coldplay was a very bad move, plus they turned off the screens and music and it just started getting nasty up the front, I had to leave with only a few mins til Coldplay, with all the pushing and shoving I could see myself ending up trampled on the ground, wasnt worth the risk. Watched Coldplay from the back of the pit, was disappointed not being able to stay up the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Fierce scummy though as per usual. Saw some awful stuff from some topless fella, celtic crest tatoo'd on his heart attackin some other fella who was holding up an israeli flag in the pit..it got a bit..heated.

Phew, lucky escape for me so - I wore a maroon coloured Israeli Defence Forces paratrooper's t-shirt, but when it turned chilly I covered it with a Superman hoodie :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

Phew, lucky escape for me so - I wore a maroon coloured Israeli Defence Forces paratrooper's t-shirt, but when it turned chilly I covered it with a Superman hoodie :p

ur a rat blud

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

partyndbs wrote: »
    ur a rat blud

I'm a rat ''blud''? :confused:

**edit after a search of users posts

In YOUR thread 'whats your definition of a rat' in After Hours, you posted THIS ~
    i dont mean rat like a snitch in jail just a rat is someone whose a ****in spa and deserves to be bashed. not sound think their mad etc.

Its hard to decypher, and indeeds hurts and insults my intelligence to do so - however I think you've given me enough cause to report your post as personal abuse.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I wasn't bashed.

Advertisement