Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lawra

I absolutely loved every minute of it. Was my fourth oxegen and the best by faaaaar, we got very lucky in that none of our stuff was damaged/stolen/lost and everyone I met was lovely (they all seemed to be from the North too-now officially my favourite people) Saw loads of bands, was consistently very drunk but not in a bad way, got hours of enjoyment outa the funfair and thought the propaganda stage in the campsite was epic! Best weekend ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Who was playing when then photo was taken again? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Namlub wrote: »
    Who was playing when then photo was taken again? :confused:

The vodaphone one? Bruno Mars. I had actually just left the pit about a minute before I'd say. Would have been nice to have been in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I'm in it woooooooooooo \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ha just remember now someone pointing it out to me at Coldplay!

They had a video in 08 or 09 - it's something to do with one of the organisers who died back then, his nickname was 'Buzz.'

• Advertisement

The vodaphone one? Bruno Mars. I had actually just left the pit about a minute before I'd say. Would have been nice to have been in it.
    Oooh I was right up at the front for that *goes to look for self*
    ETA:Found me. My hair looks terrible...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Justy wondering what the story is with the green campsite. Considering it for next year. How much more expensive is it ? Is it safer ? Is the craic still as good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well thats just great isnt it, I cant get Sky Arts 1 nor the BBCs, had to watch T footage thru a streaming website, so why is Sky Arts showing Oxegen? Its not sports why should we Irish have to subscribe to something which is free normally on UK channels, I demand that either RTE, TV3 or TG4 show this stuff, thats their bloody job. Another thing if the terrestrial channels showed this stuff it would generate even more interest for people going to music festivals rather than keeping it for satellite viewing. The current situation is that skint people who cant afford to go to the festivals will also not be able to afford to rent Sky or to have loads of digital channels and will have to rely on the old analogue system which will deprive them of coverage of music festivals. Young folk should completely boycott the Irish channels as they do not represent their interests.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Justy wondering what the story is with the green campsite. Considering it for next year. How much more expensive is it ? Is it safer ? Is the craic still as good ?

i was there 3 years ago.. well you pay for your normal ticket.. and i paid for the cheapest type of tent which u can get.. which is 80 euro.. which is already set up for you, and u get a huge blow up air mat, and sleeping bags.

it is safer. people can walk in without a greencampsite wristband thingy though.as some of my friends did that year11

it doesnt get as mucky in the rain..

i suppose if you talk to other ppl in the camp or theres a good number of people in your group.. theres the craic..

its not the same ans the other camps though.. theres no random fun really, and well the other camps kinda make it more like 'oxegen' but i mean it depends what you are looking for in the end..

i hope i helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

xaoifsx wrote: »
    it is safer. people can walk in without a greencampsite wristband thingy though.as some of my friends did that year11

I don't think that would have been possible this year, people hopping fences is still an issue, but not a major one really, saw it happen once and heard of it happening a few times at my own campsite there. Generally fence hoppers are caught fairly fast with the racket they make. It is FAR safer in that you are in an enclosed area with people who are very unlikely to cause trouble, but there were fewer security there this year from what I saw.

So way safer really and worth the money for the comfort and such. If you get one of the really cheap tents then you are mostly saving money anyway because a normal tent in Oxegen proper is likely to be ruined. Personally, I would never, ever, camp in Red or Blue with my own stuff, but that's just me.

• Advertisement

I don't think that would have been possible this year, people hopping fences is still an issue, but not a major one really, saw it happen once and heard of it happening a few times at my own campsite there. Generally fence hoppers are caught fairly fast with the racket they make. It is FAR safer in that you are in an enclosed area with people who are very unlikely to cause trouble, but there were fewer security there this year from what I saw.

So way safer really and worth the money for the comfort and such. If you get one of the really cheap tents then you are mostly saving money anyway because a normal tent in Oxegen proper is likely to be ruined. Personally, I would never, ever, camp in Red or Blue with my own stuff, but that's just me.

well as i said that was 3 years ago. and my friends just strolled in through the place where ur meant to walk in!!! im just talking from experience :)
    and don't they give their tents to 3rd world countries afterwards or something?? from the green camp?? or am i making that up?

well as i said that was 3 years ago. and my friends just strolled in through the place where ur meant to walk in!!! im just talking from experience :)
    and don't they give their tents to 3rd world countries afterwards or something?? from the green camp?? or am i making that up?

Green camp ones are used again and again. The ones from Red and Blue used to be given to charity, but I think they realised it was a futile effort given the condition by the end of the weekend. I haven't heard of it being done in a while, but that doesn't mean it's not.

Green camp ones are used again and again. The ones from Red and Blue used to be given to charity, but I think they realised it was a futile effort given the condition by the end of the weekend. I haven't heard of it being done in a while, but that doesn't mean it's not.

it would make more sense to give the ones from the green camp i thought.. since they would be in proper condition!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I found myself in that photo :D Reading the line up times, not looking very impressed :P

it would make more sense to give the ones from the green camp i thought.. since they would be in proper condition!

They are owned by a company which rent them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its quiet enough in there. You can bring your own accommodation(tent) or rent.

If you had a good group in there you can chill and have a bbq(lovely little area for this) and a few cans then stroll down to the arena for a mad night. For the younger people though the people you know will be in red(or blue:p ) most of the time so it can be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Mr.S wrote: »
    50-80,000 people in one place, ofcourse there is going to be trouble...

It is impossible to stop. It goes on at EVERY festival worldwide.

We hear of shootings, stabbings, muggings etc nearly every day in Dublin, does this mean people should stop going? No. You keep your head on you and stay smart.

Yes, a young guy getting his flash slashed is a bad thing, but it could happen anywhere. Plus nobody knows the circumstances that caused it. Yet everyone assumes that this guy was just sitting down on his own and some troublemaker just slashes him.
    beartooth wrote: »
    Science to prove Oxegen = knacker Fest

90 arrests for 80,000 = 0.1125%

Electric Picnic

8 arrests for 30,000 = 0.026%

Results = Oxegen 4.3 times more knackers than other Irish festivals

It goes on a lot more at Oxegen. The only other festivals I've heard such grotesque stories from were Reading/Leeds, T in the Park and that woeful 2nd Woodstock (but at least that was a one-off0

Electric Picnic at full capacity is 32,500, Oxegen 90,000; ergo, arrests at Oxegen (especially with such large test-samples) should work out at three times Electric Picnic's. Measuring Oxegen 2011 vs EP's 2010 (hands down its scummiest year to date)

Public Order Offences
    Oxegen: 21
    EP: 4

Possession, Sale or Supply of Drugs (this is for large quantities, or catching a dealer, so not including cautions)
    Oxegen: 28
    EP: 3

Assault
    Oxegen: 8
    EP: 0

Theft
    Oxegen: 12
    EP: 1

The rest of Oxegen-reveller-related offences were road-borne, and I couldn't find figures for those with EP, though I'm sure there were loads.

Having said all that, I don't wish Oxegen was gone: for the most part it keeps idiots and anti-music music-fans away from the good festivals.
    I just find the cavalier 'ignorance is bliss' approach towards the crowd-sourced lawlessness at Oxegen horrific, and I think it serves to cement it as a given routine that's okay, 'cuz, yinno, d'craic is mitey biy!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I had a brilliant time and I can't wait for next year! Security were great and helpful, and I didn't have any problems with scum, apart from getting asked for yokes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,545 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    I had a brilliant time and I can't wait for next year! Security were great and helpful, and I didn't have any problems with scum, apart from getting asked for yokes :pac:

Are you the guy who wrote the Cosmos book Carl?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

what were the Foo's like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Galway K9 wrote: »

Brilliant. Got a load of songs in and played a good long set :D Seemed really enthusiastic as well, just as headliners should be, they were really enjoying themselves. Should be some stuff up on youtube!

grindle wrote: »
    It goes on a lot more at Oxegen. The only other festivals I've heard such grotesque stories from were Reading/Leeds, T in the Park and that woeful 2nd Woodstock (but at least that was a one-off0

Electric Picnic at full capacity is 32,500, Oxegen 90,000; ergo, arrests at Oxegen (especially with such large test-samples) should work out at three times Electric Picnic's. Measuring Oxegen 2011 vs EP's 2010 (hands down its scummiest year to date)

Public Order Offences

Possession, Sale or Supply of Drugs (this is for large quantities, or catching a dealer, so not including cautions)

Assault

Theft

The rest of Oxegen-reveller-related offences were road-borne, and I couldn't find figures for those with EP, though I'm sure there were loads.

Having said all that, I don't wish Oxegen was gone: for the most part it keeps idiots and anti-music music-fans away from the good festivals.
    I just find the cavalier 'ignorance is bliss' approach towards the crowd-sourced lawlessness at Oxegen horrific, and I think it serves to cement it as a given routine that's okay, 'cuz, yinno, d'craic is mitey biy!!! :D
    Well someone has a lot of time on their hands... There are plenty of people, in this thread and at the festival itself, who have made it clear that Oxegen can be dodgy, but it can be a lot less dodgy if you keep your wits about you and don't act like a dick. That's hardly adopting an 'ignorance is bliss' attitude, just being smart enough to recognise that such an event is never going to be incident-free. Though I'm sure you're doing a lot more to address the issue by comparing a number of statistics against a festival that attracts a completely different clientele...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Tenks

grindle wrote: »

Public Order Offences

Assault

Theft

Bands I care about
    Oxegen: 14-15
    EP: 3 (Cast of Cheers, Interpol, Drums)

Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The cheapest tent to have setup for you already this year was 170, which included a big mattress and 2 sleeping bags.
    Loads of people in the Green campsite had won VIP camping tickets and were good craic. Its easy to get to the blue and red camps so it doesnt matter if you dont know people.
    There was a BBQ area there if you had one and a few food trailers with nice enough stuff. Proper showers with individual cubicles and there was proper toilets as well as the portacabin ones. And there was a small stage setup with music and a green in front of it to sit on. Not a sign of mud all weekend, just green grass.
    There was way more security there than in other campsites and i know a few lads were caught trying to get over the fence. Not a chance you could just stroll in without a green band. Security were even asking people to clean up around their tent "cos theres a few VIPs around the place"

Im not sure if you can get in there with your own tent unless you have a VIP camping ticket, which i dont think you can buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

They had a video in 08 or 09 - it's something to do with one of the organisers who died back then, his nickname was 'Buzz.'

Ah right, nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Galway K9 wrote: »

Best band/show of the weekend for me! They just seem genuinely happy to be there and like they were having fun too - they played for two hours and didn't go off to do an encore, just played straight through to get another song in. I hadn't got the new album yet so I didn't know a few of the songs, but still found myself singing along by the second or third chorus each time...

All My Life and The Pretender were mental. In complete contrast, they did a sort of acoustic singalong of Wheels and Times Like These, which was also amazing. Dave Grohl said at the end that they're coming back soon, so if they do, definitely try to go!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the whole "electric picnic is so safe" thing bugs me.

been oxegen 3 times-no trouble

picnic twice-tent slashed twice, wont stop me going this year though.

It can happen anywhere folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭oddo

There's a big difference with Ox and EP.
    The line up for EP is nothing compared to Ox.
    There's **** all that would interest me at it.
    Yeah there may not be as many assaults/arrests as Ox but thats plain and simple not half as many people go to Ep than the amount at oxegen.

**** may happen at ox but you have to expect that. **** happens everywhere. The craic at Oxegen was unreal. My tent got pulled down on the 2nd day from people jumping on it but sure **** happens me and my mate just slept in a mates tent when we needed to.

Oxegen was unbelievable and I'd definately go again next year without a thought. Maybe there could be a lot of changes to be made for the beter and hopefully they do that. But oxegen was a great espereience, (a lot down to coldplay mind you). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Oxegen is for young teenage to early 20s people that go nuts for the weekend. Good for them!

EP is for anyone older that does not want to get vomited on, and likes to go nuts for the weekend.

Anyone I speak to about it, seems to agree. Its not even a real generation gap. Its the point from your 20s that your just grow up and want better conditions to enjoy yourself.

Love working for MCD. Great crew to work with. I do very well out of oxegen.Love the buzz. But all the wild horses in the world would not drag me to stay in the punters camp site.
    Electric picker would be my choice as I like to wake up with my things intact, including my limbs.

But as suggested, crime is everywhere. As long as people like to bring up there kids like animals, then scum bags will be present.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

gsxr1 wrote: »
    EP is for anyone older that does not want to get vomited on, and likes to go nuts for the weekend.

Why else would you go to a festival? :confused:

Advertisement