Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

On the two previous times I went to Oxegen, which were both only for one day, The Killers headlined the Main Stage. Now I'm not a fan, but I didn't give a **** because I wanted to see Daft Punk and Nine Inch Nails; both acts were headliners of the second stage while The Killers were playing.

Oxegen is the kind of festival where they clash all the acts together, so if you don't like Beyonce there's still a good chance at least something will interest you on one of the other stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pace2008 wrote: »
    What sort of garbage attempt to make a point is this? Have you been to many festivals before? If you have, you should have a decent idea of how important the vibe and atmosphere are for the event. The mentioned bands are going to draw a fair amount of morons, scumbags, and people who have no real interest in music,* and adding these to the sum total of punters attending will detract from this vibe.

Nor would they have the same grounds to do so, as The Foo Fighters won't draw the same level of morons, pikeys, and people with no real interest in music.

For what it's worth, I've been to Oxegen 4 times and had a blast on each occasion. I've also been to festivals that are far better and it's not just the quality of the lineup that makes the difference, it's the quality of the people.

*I'll preempt this with a disclaimer as I know someone's going to object: I'm not labelling all fans of these acts with the pejoratives mentioned above.

People who like those bands have every much as right to go as you, do you have to have a minimum amount of knowledge of music to go? I know a lot who go there and dont know many of the bands, but they go and listen anyway. I'd prefer not to see Foo Fighters there, does that make me a moron or a pikey? I also dont like The Script, Black Eyed Peas or Beyonce.

Just go and enjoy it, as you said you have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm so excited for it. :D Are there many scummy skangers looking for fights though?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

She seems pretty impressive live and she sounds as good as she does on record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Corholio wrote: »
    People who like those bands have every much as right to go as you, do you have to have a minimum amount of knowledge of music to go? I know a lot who go there and dont know many of the bands, but they go and listen anyway.
    That barely has anything to do with my post. Of course they have a right to go. I was saying that I've been to a good number of festivals, and many of them were superior to Oxegen despite having weaker lineups because of the people there.

Of the demographics I've mentioned, the "Bit of everything/whatever's on the radio" sorts are definitely the most unobtrusive. I just generally tend to get on better with people who have an interest in music.

I'm not sure what's so unreasonable about all this.
    My point I'd prefer not to see Foo Fighters there, does that make me a moron or a pikey?
    No, where the hell are you getting that from? I'm not a big fan of the Foo Fighters either; sound a bit vanilla to me.
    Just go and enjoy it, as you said you have already.
    I'm not going this year. I've nothing against the event, like I say I've nothing but good memories of it, but at this stage I just can't justify the asking price when there are better, cheaper festivals out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Anyone know what time on Today FM the day-by-day breakdown will be announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Skig_Sean

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anyone know what time on Today FM the day-by-day breakdown will be announced?

They just did Sunday there

They are doing it atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

23057910150240380615260.jpg

They've managed to spread all the acts I want to see quite evenly over the three days, with minimal clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Yeah, I'm really happy with it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 audreykerr

The only clash I can see that'd suck for me is maybe happening is on the Sunday.
    Coldplay/The National....and maybe Manics D:
    Judging from the layout of the rest of the days.
    But then again, I don't think The National are big enough here to headline second stage.
    I mean I've never heard them on the usual radio stations and there's been no hype about them on forums.

Airborne Toxic Event confirmed...and if City Colour are actually City & Colour then that is wonderful. If not then they are some very unheard of band since the first page of google doesn't have them and I'm not bothered to check past that.

SO I'm going to go ahead and assume it's City & Colour and get slightly excited.

And as per the Friday seems the weakest so far. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

"With the news today that international superstar Beyoncé is Oxegen-bound this July, our phenomenal line-up now has nearly all of the major UK Festival headliners!"

Glastonbury: Beyoncé and Coldplay
    V Festival Arctic Monkeys
    Reading & Leeds The Strokes & My Chemical Romance
    Wireless The Black Eyed Peas and The Script
    Isle Of Wight Foo Fighters
    Latitude Paolo Nutini & The National

bands must play irish festivals so much cheaper :confused:

from that poster it looks like the strokes could be a second stage headliner, which is cool :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The Saturday looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

audreykerr wrote: »
    Airborne Toxic Event confirmed...and if City Colour are actually City & Colour then that is wonderful. If not then they are some very unheard of band since the first page of google doesn't have them and I'm not bothered to check past that.

SO I'm going to go ahead and assume it's City & Colour and get slightly excited.

And as per the Friday seems the weakest so far. :P

i really hope that City & Colour will announce a gig here once oxegen is over.
    if they moved him to Sunday I'd be delighted, as most things i want to see are on that day, and might get a day ticket then. there's very little on Saturday to make me go just for C&C.

So The Strokes have in fact moved to Friday... makes more sense now that Beyonce is in the picture, otherwise Sunday would have been lacking headliners. Looks like they might headline the second stage as well.

Sunday looks to be the best of the days, but there's no acts there that I'd seriously be making moves to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

They better not have cut weezer...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

They better not have cut weezer...........

Nope, look at the day break down poster, they are on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Too bad there's no stage lineup yet. Agree with SantryRed, the Saturday certainly looks the pick of the days. All of the lower acts I wanted to see are that day. On Sunday there's no one till the Manics that impress me and on Friday no one till Weezer. Would have liked the lesser acts to be spread out a bit more but sure its still a good lineup.

Also I agree with what people are saying about not moaning about Beyonce. If you don't want to see an act you don't have to go. There's plenty of stages and plenty of acts to see, don't complain about one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

i really hope that City & Colour will announce a gig here once oxegen is over.
    if they moved him to Sunday I'd be delighted, as most things i want to see are on that day, and might get a day ticket then. there's very little on Saturday to make me go just for C&C.

Eels on the Sat as well would be worth a look, the rest though - meh, tempted to grab a sunday ticket. Odd Future, The National and hell Bright Eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

The Strokes, Weezer, Glasvegas, All Time Low and The Naked and Famous on Friday....very tempting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

It looks like this to me

Friday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Swedish house mafia
    Vodafone stage-My chemical romance and then the strokes
    Main stage-The script then black eyed peas

Saturday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Deadmau5
    Vodafone stage- Either brandon flowers or paulo nutini to headline.
    Main stage- Arctic Monkeys then Foo fighters

Sunday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Pendulum
    Vodafone stage- The national or slash
    Main stage- Beyonce then coldplay

I'd be pretty confident with this

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭AnnaGram85

Hey guys I haven't got my tickets yet but planning on getting a Sat/Sun one next week after payday!! Thing is, I and my 2 friends don't want to camp - what are our options?? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

AnnaGram85 wrote: »
    Hey guys I haven't got my tickets yet but planning on getting a Sat/Sun one next week after payday!! Thing is, I and my 2 friends don't want to camp - what are our options?? Thanks!

Dublin bus to and from all three days but you have to pay for it.Drive to and from it and use the park n ride from goffs. Or stay in Naas and use the shuttle bus, i'd say most places in naas are pretty much full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Based on last year it was p1ss easy to get close. I think they changed the mosh pit rules from previous years which made it easier to come and go as you liked. I was right up the top for Arcade Fire and Kasabian. Couldn't get too close for Muse but thats coz I arrived after like 2 or 3 songs. If you make your move after the act just before Beyonce you should be guaranteed to be at least two or three rows from the barrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Skig_Sean

TommyJoe15 wrote: »
    It looks like this to me

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

I dunno if National would be big enough to headline the Vodafone stage, I could nearly see Primal Scream or Manics in competition with Slash?
    I hope Brandon Flowers isn't up against Foo's but it does seem like what's going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

TommyJoe15 wrote: »
    It looks like this to me

Friday:

Saturday:

Sunday:

Pendulum wont headline the 3rd stage , they will either headline or 2nd last on Vodafone Stage. And either The National or Slash could headline Green Spheres.

I actually could see:
    Main Stage
    Coldplay
    Beyonce
    The National
    Slash

Still acts left to be announced as well. I wouldn't be surprised if QOTSA are added following their Olympia gig.

• Advertisement

Still acts left to be announced as well. I wouldn't be surprised if QOTSA are added following their Olympia gig.

Yup im hoping the same , although even if they were announced before it would'nt really effect the gig since its sold out. Once they dont headline any stage on Saturday and Sunday :) hopefully

Foo Fighters
    Arctic Monkeys
    QOTSA

Really looking forward to seeing this guy aswell (i never knew he was in Alexisonfire)

Advertisement