Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

lordgoat wrote: »
    Eels on the Sat as well would be worth a look, the rest though - meh, tempted to grab a sunday ticket. Odd Future, The National and hell Bright Eyes...

yeah, City & Colour, and Eels are the only two i want to see on Saturday. there's a few others i wouldn't mind checking out if i had to kill time, and a few others i've seen before that i wouldn't care if i missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

TommyJoe15 wrote: »
    It looks like this to me

Friday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Swedish house mafia
    Vodafone stage-My chemical romance and then the strokes
    Main stage-The script then black eyed peas

Saturday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Deadmau5
    Vodafone stage- Either brandon flowers or paulo nutini to headline.
    Main stage- Arctic Monkeys then Foo fighters

Sunday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Pendulum
    Vodafone stage- The national or slash
    Main stage- Beyonce then coldplay

I'd be pretty confident with this

i'd be surprised if Swedish House Mafia, Deadmau5, and Pendulum don't play/headline the Dance Arena.
    they're exactly the type of dumbed-down, lowest common denominator dance music that i'd expect to finish the night in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

i'd be surprised if Swedish House Mafia, Deadmau5, and Pendulum don't play/headline the Dance Arena.
    they're exactly the type of dumbed-down, lowest common denominator dance music that i'd expect to finish the night in there.
    Pendulum never play the dance arena, and I think deadmau5 is too big to play the dance arena. And what is dumbed down about those 3 acts? Firstly pendulum are not even remotely dance music, and im guessing your the type who stands at the back afraid to let their hair down and have a laugh, and instead is all serious. Or maybe your the type who goes to festivals to see the very indie, unknown bands and doesn't like going to popular/big acts, I know the type. What a ridiculous comment to make.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Are 2 many djs still playing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yeah, City & Colour, and Eels are the only two i want to see on Saturday. there's a few others i wouldn't mind checking out if i had to kill time, and a few others i've seen before that i wouldn't care if i missed.

Pretty much summed up the whole weekend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Went out today and bought a ticket for Saturday. Eels, Artics and Foos :D Would love it if QOTSA were added :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

So ill be in Dublin the Thursday and ive a ticket from Friday onwards, whats the best way to get to Oxegen early, or even Naas early, I could get one of the shuttle buses from there.

The Dublin Bus buses dont get there till about 1pm on the friday, a little late to be getting a decent spot.

Any recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Surely Primal Scream are the Green Spheres headliner on whatever day they're playing?

They are headlining the 3rd stage at glastonbury and will need the time to play screamadelica in it's entirety.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 TommyJoe15

Does anyone know what actually happens to the videos of oxegen? They have loads of cameras like. Don't understand why the record it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bren2001

This post has been deleted.

to get to the barrier itself you need to go a few acts earlier. You just walk in and walk out. You don't need a band or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

"dumbed down"

sorry i left my degree in dance music at home...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Corholio wrote: »
    So ill be in Dublin the Thursday and ive a ticket from Friday onwards, whats the best way to get to Oxegen early, or even Naas early, I could get one of the shuttle buses from there.

The Dublin Bus buses dont get there till about 1pm on the friday, a little late to be getting a decent spot.

Any recommendations?

CIE

Are 2 many djs still playing?

They were never playing , there doing a gig in Marley Park
    Corholio wrote: »

Any recommendations?

check out dublincoach.ie . They have buses that go from the Red Cow Luas stop every hour straight to Naas and only costs €5 one way (€3 if you have a student card) and it drops you right beside where you can get the shuttle bus out to Oxegen
    Surely Primal Scream are the Green Spheres headliner on whatever day they're playing?

They are headlining the 3rd stage at glastonbury and will need the time to play screamadelica in it's entirety.

There actually headlining the 2nd stage at Glastonbury , but yea they will headline the Green Spheres tent at Oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Does anyone know what actually happens to the videos of oxegen? They have loads of cameras like. Don't understand why the record it?

For the big screens. It used to be on MTV too, last year it was on Q (and I think Channel 4 did something too), would be nice to get it back on MTV though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Mainly for the big screens but as noted, Channel 4/Q usually do a highlights show between them. Palladia, a US HD channel, also had hour long cuts of certain bands from last year, some of which were repackaged for MTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Yo peoples.

Anyone hear if Beady Eye are still playing?

The Oxegen date isn't on their website for some reason.

There still on the poster anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

It looks like this to me

Friday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Swedish house mafia
    Vodafone stage-My chemical romance and then the strokes
    Main stage-The script then black eyed peas

Saturday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Deadmau5
    Vodafone stage- Either brandon flowers or paulo nutini to headline.
    Main stage- Arctic Monkeys then Foo fighters

Sunday:
    Heineken green spheres headliner-Pendulum
    Vodafone stage- The national or slash
    Main stage- Beyonce then coldplay

I'd be pretty confident with this

Stupid Strokes being moved to Friday...:mad: i wanted My Chemical Romance to headline the Vodafone stage that day :/

How long will they likely get if they're playing second down?

MCR should still be over The Strokes tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Stupid Strokes being moved to Friday...:mad: i wanted My Chemical Romance to headline the Vodafone stage that day :/

How long will they likely get if they're playing second down?

MCR should still be over The Strokes tbh.

I am a MASSIVE MCR fan (as seen by my username) but I would have to disagree there. The Strokes are a much bigger band and a much more popular band. They do deserve the headline spot tbh as much as I would love to see My Chem there

• Advertisement

I am a MASSIVE MCR fan (as seen by my username) but I would have to disagree there. The Strokes are a much bigger band and a much more popular band. They do deserve the headline spot tbh as much as I would love to see My Chem there

At Reading/Leeds MCR have a headline slot, while The Strokes are co-headlining with Pulp...Other festivals MCR have headlined as well.

And on Facebook 20k people who "live in ireland" like MCR while the figure for The Strokes is more like 9.5k.....

Just to give an indication.

At Reading/Leeds MCR have a headline slot, while The Strokes are co-headlining with Pulp...Other festivals MCR have headlined as well.

And on Facebook 20k people who "live in ireland" like MCR while the figure for The Strokes is more like 9.5k.....

Just to give an indication.

Again huge MCR fan! I know all this!

But the Strokes are bigger! Especially for an Oxegen crowd! They're a much more established band and one with a wider fanbase

And I never trust facebook for stuff like that tbh. I'd rather see some more reliable figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

To be fair, that's because there are a lot of 8 year old emo girls on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

karaokeman wrote: »
    Yo peoples.

Anyone hear if Beady Eye are still playing?

The Oxegen date isn't on their website for some reason.

Still playing the Saturday as far as I know. I'm also pretty tempted to go see them in the north at Belsonic with the Vaccines. I think tickets are about 40 european euro

To be fair, that's because there are a lot of 8 year old emo girls on Facebook.

"changes settings to over 17s"
    MCR 11k
    The Strokes 8k

They still win? :confused:

MCR 11k
    The Strokes 8k

Again I would rather some more reliable figures than facebook. People will click anything on facebook.

The Strokes are a bigger band. Deal with it

EDIT: I'll say it another way. Most of the My Chem fans that I know are also Strokes fans, however of the rest most of the Strokes fans are not fans of My Chem. The Strokes have a more accessible sound for people and do attract a bigger and more varied crowd

Again I would rather some more reliable figures than facebook. People will click anything on facebook.

The Strokes are a bigger band. Deal with it

Yeah...but how many people would go to a band profile specifically and click "like" if they didn't actually like the band...or list it on their profile....

You don't just think "bands you like?" "um...i know...I'll stick down that chemical romance band for the hell of it"

Mightn't be the most accurate source of figures but it does give a general idea.

I believe MCR had larger sales for their last album compared to the strokes last album anyway....And can't deny Reading/Leeds have The Strokes co-headlining while MCR get to headline on their own. If they were bigger they'd have at least equal placements :P

(And MCR were due to headline the Vodafone stage on friday before they got Beyonce...so yeah)

Yeah...but how many people would go to a band profile specifically and click "like" if they didn't actually like the band...or list it on their profile....

You don't just think "bands you like?" "um...i know...I'll stick down that chemical romance band for the hell of it"

Mightn't be the most accurate source of figures but it does give a general idea.

I believe MCR had larger sales for their last album compared to the strokes last album anyway....And can't deny Reading/Leeds have The Strokes co-headlining while MCR get to headline on their own. If they were bigger they'd have at least equal placements :P

(And MCR were due to headline the Vodafone stage on friday before they got Beyonce...so yeah)

All you have to do is click like. You don't need to find the page. It can come up on your homepage ffs! I've liked all sort of pages from them popping up!

Reading and Leeds is a completely different type of festival and would be attracting different crowds than those who will go to Oxegen

And I'm not denying that MCR shouldn't headline, I'm just saying that The Strokes would be a better suited headliner for Oxegen. There's no need to be so defensive about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26 audreykerr

MCR 11k
    The Strokes 8k

Because every Strokes fan is (a) on facebook and (b) made sure they like the page of the band. I think not.

The Strokes last played Ireland in 2006.
    My Chem played in February.
    The Strokes will pull a huge crowd, with people buying day tickets specifically for them. (As will die hard AAAAAAAAAAAHHHH "killjoys" for My Chem who have some compulsion to see them all the time...but fewer*).

The Strokes last album peaked at number 3 in the charts, My Chem peaked at 14.

*Nothing against My Chemical Romance fans, since I'm one too. But against that type of fan yes... We all know the sort I'm talking about. :p

• Advertisement

audreykerr wrote: »
    The Strokes last album peaked at number 3 in the charts, My Chem peaked at 14.

And Danger Days was released at the end of November with competition from like 6 major albums from the likes of Take That, etc on the same day. So harder to chart that high.

Most likely still sold more than The Strokes though...i don't think there's sales figures for ireland available...But American figures for example put the strokes album at 89k while Danger Days was around 200k..and The Strokes charted higher.

Still saying that MCR is just as much of a draw as The Strokes. "Co-headlining" that stage would be perfect with each getting the same time slot.

Advertisement