Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bren2001

And Danger Days was released at the end of November with competition from like 6 major albums from the likes of Take That, etc on the same day. So harder to chart that high.

Most likely still sold more than The Strokes though...i don't think there's sales figures for ireland available...But American figures for example put the strokes album at 89k while Danger Days was around 200k..and The Strokes charted higher.

Still saying that MCR is just as much of a draw as The Strokes. "Co-headlining" that stage would be perfect with each getting the same time slot.

I like both bands. The MCR gig was pretty empty when I was there so I wouldnt pay too much attention to the chart sales.

Strokes deserve to headline over MCR for Oxegen as they are more suited to it imo. If it was Reading and Leeds on the other hand it wouldnt suprise me if it was the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I think the biggest disaster is Weezer being so low down....disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Again I would rather some more reliable figures than facebook. People will click anything on facebook.

The Strokes are a bigger band. Deal with it

EDIT: I'll say it another way. Most of the My Chem fans that I know are also Strokes fans, however of the rest most of the Strokes fans are not fans of My Chem. The Strokes have a more accessible sound for people and do attract a bigger and more varied crowd

Firsly I agree facebook gives a general idea.

Its not totally accurate but usually there is some reason or other a person likes a bands page. I have may of my music list who I'm not a great fan of but I know one or two of their songs that I really like. I would probably see them live but I wouldn't listen to a whole album from them every week.

I'll be honest I never heard of The Strokes before they were announced for Oxegen.

I've listened to some of their songs now and I like them but before I wouldn't have had a clue.

I hear about MCR all the time. Of course this may be just because I have lots of emo friends, and I always hear MCR on the radio but I've never heard a Strokes song on the radio.

Bottom line The Strokes are more popular than MCR internaionally but in Ireland MCR have a larger fanbase. Irish people are rebellious and we like to do things our own way. Thats how an emo sees life, there are more of them in Ireland.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

karaokeman wrote: »

Its not totally accurate but usually there is some reason or other a person likes a bands page. I have may of my music list who I'm not a great fan of but I know one or two of their songs that I really like. I would probably see them live but I wouldn't listen to a whole album from them every week.

I'll be honest I never heard of The Strokes before they were announced for Oxegen.

I've listened to some of their songs now and I like them but before I wouldn't have had a clue.

I hear about MCR all the time. Of course this may be just because I have lots of emo friends, and I always hear MCR on the radio but I've never heard a Strokes song on the radio.

Bottom line The Strokes are more popular than MCR internaionally but in Ireland MCR have a larger fanbase. Irish people are rebellious and we like to do things our own way. Thats how an emo sees life, there are more of them in Ireland.

Wow. so many things wrong with that post that I am actually speechless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

This is where I stopped reading.

Like it or not the strokes were one of the most important bands of the last decade and deserve to be headlining over MCR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

This is where I stopped reading.

Like it or not the strokes were one of the most important bands of the last decade and deserve to be headlining over MCR.

Why do they deserve to be headlining over MCR? Because they were more important say ages ago?
    MCR deserve it more because a) They're currently more relevant now b) More people know or more importantly care about them.
    Seriously, the only time I've heard a Strokes song on the radio is during Today FM's Top 10 Oxegen track countdown...MCR get much more radio play for their singles and they're all over a ton of adverts and shizz.

"deserve" it doesnt matter how important they've been, it's how important they are now + how many sales/etc they've got recently, like it or not.

What age are you not to have heard of The Strokes? They have been away for years now so thats why you wouldn't have heard of them, but in 2006 they subbed to The Who and were massive. They are rarely off the radio and would comfortably sell out the O2 now whereas MCR did not.

Why do they deserve to be headlining over MCR? Because they were more important say ages ago?
    MCR deserve it more because a) They're currently more relevant now b) More people know or more importantly care about them.
    Seriously, the only time I've heard a Strokes song on the radio is during Today FM's Top 10 Oxegen track countdown...MCR get much more radio play for their singles and they're all over a ton of adverts and shizz.

"deserve" it doesnt matter how important they've been, it's how important they are now + how many sales/etc they've got recently, like it or not.

What adverts do you be watching/listening to that have MCR all over the place? The Strokes returning is far far bigger than anything MCR have ever done

It's also about who would appeal more to the audience in question and the answer to that with regards to Oxegen is definitely The Strokes.

And The Strokes never lost their importance and are a bigger band. Full stop

Mushy wrote: »
    What adverts do you be watching/listening to that have MCR all over the place? The Strokes returning is far far bigger than anything MCR have ever done

A load of adverts on RTE/BBC have used music from Danger Days, the irelands got talent one/etc.

I have a couple of facebook pages, with thousands of friends/likes...mostly irish.
    Just checked them there....every single one has more friends who like MCR then the strokes. Just saying. :confused: (and yes i know facebook only gives a general idea but still a decent source)

It's also about who would appeal more to the audience in question and the answer to that with regards to Oxegen is definitely The Strokes.

And The Strokes never lost their importance and are a bigger band. Full stop
    Or the black eyed peas.......:P
    There's likely a larger number of people going just for MCR mainly then for The Strokes mainly. But heck..The Strokes clashing with the black eyed peas should hopefully result in the strokes getting a larger crowd...if theres any hope left. :P

"and are a bigger band." Then why are they co-headlining with Pulp at Reading while MCR are headlining solely? That makes no sense to me if The Strokes are bigger...and nobody seems to be able to answer that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

To be honest the Weezer of now deserve to be that low down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Going by that train of thought Bruno Mars should be headlining :rolleyes:

How exactly are the strokes not relevant? Their debut album came out only 10 years ago and there will be many fans like myself that who grew up with them and will relish the opportunity to see them in Ireland for the first time in years. I've nothing against MCR but The Strokes definitely deserve the headline spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

A load of adverts on RTE/BBC have used music from Danger Days, the irelands got talent one/etc.

I have a couple of facebook pages, with thousands of friends/likes...mostly irish.
    Just checked them there....every single one has more friends who like MCR then the strokes. Just saying. :confused: (and yes i know facebook only gives a general idea but still a decent source)

Stop using facebook as an example, ive strangely liked fanta on my facebook too but i havent had a can for months :P

Im not a huge fan of the Strokes but they'll always be a better band than MCR imo.

Or the black eyed peas.......:P
    There's likely a larger number of people going just for MCR mainly then for The Strokes mainly. But heck..The Strokes clashing with the black eyed peas should hopefully result in the strokes getting a larger crowd...if theres any hope left. :P

"and are a bigger band." Then why are they co-headlining with Pulp at Reading while MCR are headlining solely? That makes no sense to me if The Strokes are bigger...and nobody seems to be able to answer that.

I ALREADY ANSWERED THAT!

We're talking about a different type of crowd at Reading and Leeds! MCR would be more popular and better headliners at a festival like that as opposed to Oxegen which has a more mainstream crowd

I ALREADY ANSWERED THAT!

We're talking about a different type of crowd at Reading and Leeds! MCR would be more popular and better headliners at a festival like that as opposed to Oxegen which has a more mainstream crowd

We're not even talking about headliners....but the second stage "headliners" which aren't even heading the fest....:pac:

And MCR are more mainstream imho.

We're not even talking about headliners....but the second stage "headliners" which aren't even heading the fest....:pac:

And MCR are more mainstream imho.

It's still all the same point?

Not a chance. most mainstreamers hate My Chem!

And with regards to Danger days being used on ads and TV, I have heard songs from all the Strokes albums being used on TV at different times.

As I have said before, I am one of the biggest My Chem fans that you will meet but I am realistic too and I can accept that there are bands that are bigger and more popular than them

So then the people you are friends with like MCR more than the Strokes. MCR cater towards younger people, The Strokes have a much bigger lure this time around.

Reading/Leeds isn't a good indicator either, MCR failed to sell out Wembley arena. By that logic, Dream Theater would waltz into a headlining spot at any festival.

Corholio yes that can be said alright, but should be higher (I'm lucky I'm seeing them where they will have longer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

"changes settings to over 17s"
    MCR 11k
    The Strokes 8k

They still win? :confused:

Nearly half their fans are under 17, if we're using your Facebook logic, and OXEGEN is strictly (!) over 17s. Go figure!

Also, someone asked why The Strokes should be higher up on the bill than MCR. "Is This It." That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I think The Strokes will definitely be billed higher than My Chemical Romance as they've been around for longer and made a pretty big splash on the music scene with their first album. They were among the first bands of the post-punk revival or "indie" movement ten years ago (along with The White Stripes) to garner some major attention, and that was a pretty big movement!

Plus I'd say more Irish people would be able to identify "Last Nite" over anything My Chemical Romance has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bren2001

Plus I'd say more Irish people would be able to identify "Last Nite" over anything My Chemical Romance has done.

I reckon more people would know more MCR than the Strokes. Teenagers and Black Parade were bombarded across the airways when they were released.

Granted the Strokes still should headline 2nd stage imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Hey does anyone know when you would need to buy the tickets for oxegen or do they sell out or what?:confused: me and my friends are interested in getting four day camping tickets and want to know when we should get them by Would be greatful to hear from anyone who knows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

It used to sell out when I was a youngster but it won't sell out now, thanks to the R-word

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

True would love if they headlined the Green Spheres tent :D but could see high up on the Vodafone or mid way on the Main
    bren2001 wrote: »
    I reckon more people would know more MCR than the Strokes. Teenagers and Black Parade were bombarded across the airways when they were released.

Granted the Strokes still should headline 2nd stage imo.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You do realised most people would recognise a Strokes song then MCR , if you ask an average Oxegen fan to name a MCR and & Strokes song they would all know a strokes song.

Strokes will headlin Vodafone stage with MCR under them , and as someone said if Strokes announced a O2 show it would sell out pretty quick against MCR's last show and also The Strokes latest album was one of the most anticipated albums in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

As a fan of The Strokes an the odd song from MCR here was my perspective on it:

The Strokes - fúckin class, can't wait to see them!
    MCR - they might be good enough.

The average Oxegen goer would prefer The Strokes to MCR, in my opinion. The older crowd would also veer towards The Strokes as well.

True would love if they headlined the Green Spheres tent :D but could see high up on the Vodafone or mid way on the Main

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You do realised most people would recognise a Strokes song then MCR , if you ask an average Oxegen fan to name a MCR and & Strokes song they would all know a strokes song.
    A lot of people would recognize Teenagers...or NaNaNa at the least i'd say...

Any facebook page i moderate, more of it's fans/friends "like" mcr then the strokes. Even on the ones who have a tiny amount for each, 19 for the strokes and 65 for mcr.

If you could check fans of the Oxegen page there's a really high chance more people would list themselves as liking mcr then the strokes going by the above statistics.

Today FM just played their weekly top 10, MCR did get first this week....and they said to vote on oxegen.ie for the next weeks one...currently looks like arctic monkey - 4 votes, beyonce - 4 votes, mcr - 3 votes, etc etc...the strokes - 1 vote.
    And that's from whoever was listening to today fm/the oxegen top ten so should be a general idea of the public...(and yes i know the figures are too small to give a proper idea..but i don't see the stroke's track beating mcrs this week...these are all voted for by the oxegen facebook page so yeah..)

MCR do have a youngish fanbase, however many young people go to oxegen.

A lot of people would recognize Teenagers...or NaNaNa at the least i'd say...

Any facebook page i moderate, more of it's fans/friends "like" mcr then the strokes. Even on the ones who have a tiny amount for each, 19 for the strokes and 65 for mcr.

If you could check fans of the Oxegen page there's a really high chance more people would list themselves as liking mcr then the strokes going by the above statistics.

Today FM just played their weekly top 10, MCR did get first this week....and they said to vote on oxegen.ie for the next weeks one...currently looks like arctic monkey - 4 votes, beyonce - 4 votes, mcr - 3 votes, etc etc...the strokes - 1 vote.
    And that's from whoever was listening to today fm/the oxegen top ten so should be a general idea of the public...(and yes i know the figures are too small to give a proper idea..but i don't see the stroke's track beating mcrs this week...these are all voted for by the oxegen facebook page so yeah..)

MCR do have a youngish fanbase, however many young people go to oxegen.

Can we please give up on the facebook argument? We've already proved that it's not reliable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Mulvee

Here......The Strokes are bigger than MCR...there's no argument.

Yeah..MCR are a good band like with good charisma on stage, good songwriting and a big fan-base(whether its considered to be hugely populated by emo-teenagers is irrelevant)

The Strokes are incredible, and Oxegen is their festival like in my opinion, 'Is This It' changed the rock scene as it was different yet similar to aspiring bands in the 00's and people fell in love with them and still are, Casablancas is an amazing frontman.

But yeah MCR are good as well In not knocking them but I don't think you can compare the two as I think Strokes are far better. This is my opinion and I'm sure the majority of people agree.

Can we please give up on the facebook argument? We've already proved that it's not reliable

Then what is reliable? The Oxegen top ten poll..as voted by people likely going to Oxegen and to which the Strokes currently have 1 measly vote as opposed to MCR's 5? (and MCR getting a higher placement every week so far....must be extremely good luck with the track choices :P)

I don't remember the facebook thing being proved unreliable.

The Strokes were originally meant to be subbing to Coldplay...now that would have been perfect. Instead bands like ATL, Weezer lead into MCR with the strokes afterwards. The Strokes are kinda out of place...and it's obvious they're only there because of the getting Beyonce decision.

Co-headline would make much more sense for that stage tbh as i've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

can we please stop the MCR vs Strokes crap??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Then what is reliable? The Oxegen top ten poll..as voted by people likely going to Oxegen and to which the Strokes currently have 1 measly vote as opposed to MCR's 5? (and MCR getting a higher placement every week so far....must be extremely good luck with the track choices :P)

I don't remember the facebook thing being proved unreliable.

The Strokes were originally meant to be subbing to Coldplay...now that would have been perfect. Instead bands like ATL, Weezer lead into MCR with the strokes afterwards. The Strokes are kinda out of place...and it's obvious they're only there because of the getting Beyonce decision.

Co-headline would make much more sense for that stage tbh as i've said.

Well if you look at 2009 when Pendulum were on before Keane.

And since Strokes were bumped from playing under Colplday to doing second stage there is no way they will now do 2nd under MCR on the second stage.

Im not bashing MCR in anyway and i will admit there latest album is not bad (i hated Black Parade) but i have a feeling if we see BEP vs MCR we might get a similar attendance like NIN or NCATBS in 2009. While the Strokes will easily get a massive crowd since i feel they appeal to a more wide range of fans. Sure look at 30stm would have a similar following to MCR and they only subbed 2nd stage last year

Advertisement