Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

SantryRed wrote: »
    No it didn't. :confused:

Yes it did. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Oxegen sold out in 2005 when Foo Fighters and Green Day headlined, but as far as I remember it hasn't sold out since.

Last years lineup wasn't great, it was prodominantly dance/rap-based. The only really good headliner last year was Muse.

This year there is much better variety in the headliners and a much better chance of attracting everyone.

Last year there was about 5000 tickets left on the day of the festival, that was close enough to selling out as it was 1/16th of the total number of tickets.

I'd say the real challenge with selling out would be selling 3-day non-camping tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I was listening to the Oxegen line up on the radio and my oh my was it a giant heapy pile of manufactured sh*te, absolutely terrible line up for a supposedly indie and alternative, rock, with a bit of hip hop and then a big ol' tent with DJ's to put all the skangers into and keep them away from the festivities - kind of festival. Now the last time I was at Oxegen was 2005 when I was 17 and got to see bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Bloc Party, Kasabian, Doves, Biffy Clyro, LCD Soundsystem, James Brown, etc

now I have been to other festivals in that time and I dont plan on going back to Oxegen but with a line up like

The Black Eyed Peas, The "F*cking" Script, KESHA :confused:, My Chemical Romance, Beyonce, Ndubz, Jessie J, The Saturdays :confused:, etc

You can just imagine the shower of w*nkers that will be dragged in their droves to this, hope they all choke on a big bag of d*cks :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's always been shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Is it really that important to you? It's generating income and tax, getting people to spend their money... who cares who's playing?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't cross the road for that 2005 line up, this years is much better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I was listening to the Oxegen line up on the radio and my oh my was it a giant heapy pile of manufactured sh*te, absolutely terrible line up for a supposedly indie and alternative, rock, with a bit of hip hop and then a big ol' tent with DJ's to put all the skangers into and keep them away from the festivities - kind of festival. Now the last time I was at Oxegen was 2005 when I was 17 and got to see bands like Queens of the Stone Age, Bloc Party, Kasabian, Doves, Biffy Clyro, LCD Soundsystem, James Brown, etc

now I have been to other festivals in that time and I dont plan on going back to Oxegen but with a line up like

The Black Eyed Peas, The "F*cking" Script, KESHA :confused:, My Chemical Romance, Beyonce, Ndubz, Jessie J, The Saturdays :confused:, etc

You can just imagine the shower of w*nkers that will be dragged in their droves to this, hope they all choke on a big bag of d*cks :mad:
    The second line up does sound better then the first. But then I hate indie so there ya go.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The second line up does sound better then the first. But then I hate indie so there ya go.

well its obvious then that your future job will involve giving blowies at a petrol station

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

been to everyone one even since witnness, and its just getting worse and worse, not only the line up but the crowd too, i work uk festivals all summer and the contrast is shocking, oxegen is worse than leeds or reading and they are utter hellholes.

save your money, hit up latitiude in suffolk for a good festival, or if a bit more pop minded, the bigg chill festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Wrighty82

You're better off going to the smaller festivals like Sea Sessions and that one in Kilmainham. Less expensive better banter. Chances are at Oxygen you're tent will either flood or get burned down anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Wrighty82 wrote: »
    You're better off going to the smaller festivals like Sea Sessions and that one in Kilmainham. Less expensive better banter. Chances are at Oxygen you're tent will either flood or get burned down anyway!

the one in kilmainham finishes in time for last orders in the pubs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Mulvee

Don't go so, keep your negativity to yourself, people can like what music they want. Ya swear that any1 who likes dance/r&b/rap is a nacker, which im sure a lot of people reading this forum finds offensive, get over yourself. If you dont like acts, dont go to them. Its not that hard. I didnt like/or know a lot of the line up last year yet went to some of them and enjoyed it, and had a great weekend and thats whats important. Get over yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

the one in kilmainham finishes in time for last orders in the pubs...

The Oak is going to be wedged that night!

Mulvee wrote: »
    Don't go so, keep your negativity to yourself, people can like what music they want. Ya swear that any1 who likes dance/r&b/rap is a nacker, which im sure a lot of people reading this forum finds offensive, get over yourself. If you dont like acts, dont go to them. Its not that hard. I didnt like/or know a lot of the line up last year yet went to some of them and enjoyed it, and had a great weekend and thats whats important. Get over yourself

Get over yourself?? That is lioke so 1999!

Get over yourself?? That is lioke so 1999!

Strokes, Coldplay, Foo Fighters, Beady Eye, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, The National, Slash, Manic Street Preachers, Eels, The Minutes, The Vaccines to name a few rock/Indie/alternative acts this year.
    They're obviously gonna add other genre's of music cos thats what makes money. They're gonna make a fortune off 1 day Sunday tickets for Beyonceand Black Eyed Peas and thats wats important to them. They wont make half as much money off just rock acts alone cos its stuff in the top 40 thats most popular nowadays. So ya as I said get over yourself and don't go if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Jesus, i'd been following this thread to keep an eye in the line up, rumours etc....now it seems to consist of fans of different acts slagging each other off and/or people taking pot shots at the festival itself!....any chance of starting a new thread for people who a) are actually going to the festival and b) are tolerant of other people's tastes in music?....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

healy1835 wrote: »
    Jesus, i'd been following this thread to keep an eye in the line up, rumours etc....now it seems to consist of fans of different acts slagging each other off and/or people taking pot shots at the festival itself!....any chance of starting a new thread for people who a) are actually going to the festival and b) are tolerant of other people's tastes in music?....

Not a hope :p

I find it kinda funny anyway :pac:

atleast that MCR vs Strokes tripe is over :P

Charlie Simpson touring in UK in June/JUly?

The xx have a new album out this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Mulvee wrote: »

The xx have a new album out this year?

Doubt it'll be out in time though, Jamie is touring playing loads of festivals though so maybe a third of the xx :)

It sold out every year other than last year. Anything else is just hearsay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

The last time it sold out was 2008 or possibly even 2007.
    2009 & 2010 definately did NOT sell out, and will more than likely be the same this year.
    If it doesn't sell out in the first couple of weeks, then it's not gonna be sold out at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Haha no it did not, I went in 08, 09, and last year and none of them sold out. I distinctly remember a few friends of mine getting tickets no problems a few days literally before the festival.

Haha no it did not, I went in 08, 09, and last year and none of them sold out. I distinctly remember a few friends of mine getting tickets no problems a few days literally before the festival.

I'm going to believe The Irish Times over your memory if that's ok hahahahahahha

I went in 07, 08 and 09 and although tickets were available right up until the last week in 09, that wasn't the case in the other two years. Cheers.

The last time it sold out was 2008 or possibly even 2007.
    2009 & 2010 definately did NOT sell out, and will more than likely be the same this year.
    If it doesn't sell out in the first couple of weeks, then it's not gonna be sold out at all

Unless it sells out in the week of the festival, like 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I'm going to believe The Irish Times over your memory if that's ok hahahahahahha

I went in 07, 08 and 09 and although tickets were available right up until the last week in 09, that wasn't the case in the other two years. Cheers.

Well shock horror, the Irish Times must be wrong!
    I've been going since 2005, and the last time that definately sold out was 2007 because I had to find someone to buy a ticket from as none were available. Ever since it became a 3 day thing, it hasnt sold out.....FACT!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Wrong.

Does it really matter if those years sold out or not though? which they didn't!!!

Festival selling out ≠ great festival

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭bren2001

It was 2007, I remember sitting in McDonalds with my ticket hearing it sold out in an hour or two. Since then tickets have been available on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Really wasn't that funny, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

We need more big fesivals here, not one big one with every type of music thrown in for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

seanbmc wrote: »
    We need more big fesivals here, not one big one with every type of music thrown in for good measure.

Don't have the population for it, imo.

Advertisement