Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Slipknot confirmed for Sonisphere

Perhaps an 02 show. But overall that's not happening at oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mr.S wrote: »
    So the poster for TITP was found on the gigsinscotland site, and it said Metallica & Faith No More & Foo Fighters as headliners. Who knows if thats true though. (apparently its not true though)

Obviously Foo's are confirmed, but the other two.

Not true at all, thank god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Mr.S wrote: »
    Good stuff, not a fan of either band:D

Same! Oxegen wouldn't even half sell out if they were the headliners! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Noel2k9 wrote: »

Metallica have at a rough guess sold 160,000 tickets over the last 7 years in ireland, Tickets for fnm in the olympia sold out in minutes and were going for a couple of hundred quid outside. But you're right, they're not suitable headliners at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Better crowd there and Foos, Faith and Metallica carry a bigger following then most of the sh!te around today

• Advertisement

Dont think they are what Oxegen is about but they would sell Oxegen out. It would be, for mcd, a great land.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

thats two ridiculous statements in the one thread, go you! :pac:

Metallica would be good headliners, Faith No More I dont know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Yes it would, just because you don't like them doesn't mean that thousands of other people in Ireland don't like them either. If someone doesn't go to Oxegen just because Metallica or Faith No More are playing, then they're an idiot, tbh. Plenty of other people to go and see.

I will be crushed if Foo Fighters aren't at it.:(:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I think i'll join in here....................You mad son!!!!!!!!!

If the rumours are to be true and Metallica & FNM do play Oxegen, then i can see a massive increase in tickets being sold. I know loads of people that wouldn't normally go to Oxegen, but would almost certainly go if these were playing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If FF,FNM and Metallica i think it could sell quite well i also think it could bring in a more older crowd then the usual especially with FNM . It would also see Oxegen going back to its ROCK roots and since didnt 2005 oxegen sell out a good bit in advance with Green Day and Foo Fighters headlining?

• Advertisement

Better crowd there and Foos, Faith and Metallica carry a bigger following then most of the sh!te around today

Foo's are an oxegen suitable band.. Metallica? Not a hope. The main group of people who go to oxegen are those who have finished their leaving cert/college.
    maximoose wrote: »
    thats two ridiculous statements in the one thread, go you! :pac:

Metallica would be good headliners, Faith No More I dont know....

Still a no from me I'm afraid. Headliners to really attract people to Oxegen would be along the lines of: One R'n'B headliner, eg: Lil Wayne (Maybe not though, he doesn't seem big enough), Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, etc. One pop/chart act, eg: Katy Perry (Could be likely, MCD organised her O2 gig and didn't add another after an immediate sell out) and One rock act, as in this case Foo's. That way they attract a varied group of people, increasing their sales. MCD aren't stupid enough to turn Oxegen into a rock fest- one Rock headliner is enough for them, and seriously if anyone thinks otherwise they must be off their head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Foo's are an oxegen suitable band.. Metallica? Not a hope. The main group of people who go to oxegen are those who have finished their leaving cert/college.

And funnily enough a lot of those same people go everytime metallica play dublin
    Still a no from me I'm afraid. Headliners to really attract people to Oxegen would be along the lines of: One R'n'B headliner, eg: Lil Wayne (Maybe not though, he doesn't seem big enough), Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, etc. One pop/chart act, eg: Katy Perry (Could be likely, MCD organised her O2 gig and didn't add another after an immediate sell out) and One rock act, as in this case Foo's. That way they attract a varied group of people, increasing their sales. MCD aren't stupid enough to turn Oxegen into a rock fest- one Rock headliner is enough for them, and seriously if anyone thinks otherwise they must be off their head.

You are aware that this year was the first year that they tried to diversify the headliners and was by all accounts the slowest selling oxegen yet. It's fair enough to have an opinion but the facts speak for themselves.

Oxegen + Rock = €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

hynesie08 wrote: »
    And funnily enough a lot of those same people go everytime metallica play dublin

You are aware that this year was the first year that they tried to diversify the headliners and was by all accounts the slowest selling oxegen yet. It's fair enough to have an opinion but the facts speak for themselves.

Oxegen + Rock = €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

The previous years had headliners like: Snow Patrol, The Killers, Kings Of Leon, etc. They're a completely different variety of rock to that of Metallica.

The previous years had headliners like: Snow Patrol, The Killers, Kings Of Leon, etc. They're a completely different variety of rock to that of Metallica.
    And their last sell out was headlined by Rage Against the Machine with plenty of rock acts dotted through the weekend

Ah Jaysus Noel, you're talking some sheeite.
    Oxegen is a Rock festival, whther ya want to believe it or not. I've a feeling that if you had your way for what acts were at it there would be no tent left unburned by Saturday night.

And their last sell out was headlined by Rage Against the Machine with plenty of rock acts dotted through the weekend

In that year (2008) RATM played on the sunday. The tickets that sold out were the Saturday DAY tickets due to the fact that REM, The Prodigy and the National were playing. MCD, then in May, announced that it was sold out, but shockingly then in June they released more tickets for sale and they never sold out. The fact that RATM didn't sell out the Sunday Day tickets simply shows that your reasoning is wrong. REM and The Prodigy are also a completely different genre of music to RATM/Metallica.

In that year (2008) RATM played on the sunday. The tickets that sold out were the Saturday DAY tickets due to the fact that REM, The Prodigy and the National were playing. MCD, then in May, announced that it was sold out, but shockingly then in June they released more tickets for sale and they never sold out. The fact that RATM didn't sell out the Sunday Day tickets simply shows that your reasoning is wrong. REM and The Prodigy are also a completely different genre of music to RATM/Metallica.
    This proves you can read the wiki article. Can you prove the Sunday tickets didnt sell out after? And in general rock fans are festival fans so they would be primarily under the camping tickets, not just Day tickets which would be mainly bought by an older crowd and people with children which would be a big base for people wanting to see REM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_Am_The_Walrus

What does that have to do with anything? I'm in college but i like Metallica. And there's loads more that are in college that do.

Im in College and most of my friends are thinking about going to Roskilde where metallica, according to them, are going to play. Most of my friends in secondary school went to Metallica w/ Tenacious D. Metallica are one of the biggest metal/rock acts in the world.

They are not my cup of tea but would pull a big crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I don't see why there is such discussion about Metallica? It's hugely unlikely they will play, especially as somebody from titp confirmed they are not.

Foo Fighters will pull a huge crowd of people again, simply because of the kind of people they appeal too. For Example when Arcade Fire headlined the friday this year, did it seem like they could play 2 nights at the 02 dublin? And there were far, far more people watching The Black eyed peas this year than muse on the saturday.

It doesn't necessarily have to be the bigger band, (although Foo fighters are one of the biggest they could have gotten) it's just a younger appealing band.

I think Prince could sell out 3 nights at the 02, But he would have a bare field, if say the prodigy were playing second stage at oxegen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I have to have to go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DJKendo

I actually think there is a huge chance Dr.Dre could be at the festival next year due to his first album in 9 years coming out around May or so...omg that would be so sweet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

Kanye west has to be there, his new album is receiving really good reviews and he's bound to be doing a tour. Kanye is unreal live as well :D..and to all the people who say "ugh oxegen is a rock concert for just rock music blah blah blah" get a life seriously. i mean dont get me wrong i like alternative music but its nice to have variety as well :)

Kanye west has to be there, his new album is receiving really good reviews and he's bound to be doing a tour. Kanye is unreal live as well :D..and to all the people who say "ugh oxegen is a rock concert for just rock music blah blah blah" get a life seriously. i mean dont get me wrong i like alternative music but its nice to have variety as well :)

No one said that.:confused:
    But honestly Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Rihanna have been suggested as headliners..FS.

Kanye or Dre would be pretty sweet, though.

baz2009 wrote: »
    But honestly Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Rihanna have been suggested as headliners..FS.

Katy Perry or Rihanna as headliners......that is ridiculous and will NEVER happen. Neither are big enough. Katy Perry will play the festival at about 7 or 8 I imagine. Lady Gaga is plausible although I imagine she would be second stage headline.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Katy Perry or Rihanna as headliners......that is ridiculous and will NEVER happen. Neither are big enough. Katy Perry will play the festival at about 7 or 8 I imagine. Lady Gaga is plausible although I imagine she would be second stage headline.

They're all huge at the moment.:confused:
    It's rare that at least one of them wouldn't be in the top 10 of the charts.

They're all huge at the moment.:confused:
    It's rare that at least one of them wouldn't be in the top 10 of the charts.

They are huge, Katy Perry sold out the o2 much to my disbelief. However, how many people going to Oxegen would buy a Katy Perry or Rihanna single? They both may certainly *play* Oxegen.

I cant speak about Rihanna as I have not seen her live but Katy Perry does not have the stage presence to headline either. She was fun and I liked her but to headline on two those albums is very doubtful (I know the Killers did it in 2007 and other bands have).

bren2001 wrote: »
    They are huge, Katy Perry sold out the o2 much to my disbelief. However, how many people going to Oxegen would buy a Katy Perry or Rihanna single? They both may certainly *play* Oxegen.

I cant speak about Rihanna as I have not seen her live but Katy Perry does not have the stage presence to headline either. She was fun and I liked her but to headline on two those albums is very doubtful (I know the Killers did it in 2007 and other bands have).

She's highly likely to play though, and if she doesn't get a high slot on the main stage, she'll be headlining the vodafone stage, without a doubt!

She's highly likely to play though, and if she doesn't get a high slot on the main stage, she'll be headlining the vodafone stage, without a doubt!

She will get a high slot on the main stage or the Vodafone stage but I would be shocked if she headlined the Vodafone stage. I don't think she has the pulling power against the Foo's, metallica, coldplay, rhcp or any of the rumored headline acts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

yeah not yet :D. oh god that would be a nightmare if any of those were to headline :(

Advertisement