Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We're talking about stages not safety ramps!!!!!!!

They set up everything, how do you think they get the gear onto the stage... They had 3 weeks full time work last year and this year they haven't even started yet. Same company has being doing it the past few years.

Anyway I'm not going so don't care just passing on the info. We shall see this coming weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

RasTa wrote: »
    How much do you want to bet? I'm willing to get up to €1,000 here, would want someone to escrow the funds though.

You think the people setting up the safety ramps don't know how many people will be attending the event?
    no, they certainly don't. they might be told how many to cater for, which will be the full amount, as per Health and Safety/Insurance plans drawn up months in advance.

they'll put up the exact same equipment as last year, as there'll easily be 60,000+ again this year.

as an aside, i've no idea what "safety ramps" are, and i've been been going to witnness/oxegen since 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

They set up everything, how do you think they get the gear onto the stage... They had 3 weeks full time work last year and this year they haven't even started yet. Same company has being doing it the past few years.

Anyway I'm not going so don't care just passing on the info. We shall see this coming weekend

not sure who "they" are, but just because someone you know hasn't started, doesn't mean others haven't. the stages and fencing were being worked on all last week.
    the tents were all up, there was even pictures in the papers of them.

drive down today and you'll see people working on putting up structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I wouldn't be surprised if it's not selling well. I saw 3 ad's for it during 1 ad break the other night. They seem to be really pushing it in the last few weeks. I don't remember them pushing it as much in previous years. They even have adverts in the window of Penneys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Maybe they just didn't want to hire your friend tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i assure you from first hand experience stage cre DO NOT build the stages, the stages have been up, site crew have been there nearly a month working, stage crew arrive tomorrow or next day and only do loading from tour trucks and change overs, your information is incorrect.

tho i do believe its selling terribly, like worse in many a year, tho in fairness its been a few years since its sold out now, its on its way out as a festival imo, needs a rebranding and a solid think about who they want to cater for

Maybe but with someone else mentioning it from a different source then it might have some truth to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Right, let's get this straight.

1. You're saying that they had 3 full weeks work putting up ramps etc last year for the stages etc.

2. The exact same amount of stages are at Oxegen again this year (with a few extras such as the Captain Morgan Bar, Pennys etc).

3. Therefore, the same volume of work is required to be done for 2011.

4. Maybe the company putting up the ramps have decided to be more efficient and get the work done quicker, therefore reducing wages and increasing company profits, ie, shorter time less wages.

5. Oxegen has not been scaled back in size so the volume of work needed is equal to previous years.

6. MCD must follow the requirements laid out in the licence agreement which was made months ago so they have to set the site up for a full capacity regardless of "expected" attendance figures.

nommm wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's not selling well. I saw 3 ad's for it during 1 ad break the other night. They seem to be really pushing it in the last few weeks. I don't remember them pushing it as much in previous years. They even have adverts in the window of Penneys!

Pennys have a store at Oxegen this year and that's why they have posters in the windows!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

5. Oxegen has not been scaled back in size so the volume of work needed is equal to previous years.

last year has quite a revamp round the campsites

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Not a hope in hell is this accurate. 2005,2006,2007 and 2008 ALL sold out. (See wikipedia for confirmation). 2009 had an official attendance of 78,500 while 2010 had an attendance of 76,250... You are saying there has been almost a 70% reduction in ticket sales in a 12 month period dispite a great line-up and ticket prices remaining frozen?????

If 25k tickets had been sold, Oxegen would simply not take place as MCD would not take such a huge financial hit.

Judging from the volume of buses leaving from my area of the country, I would say it's in line with previous years, if not, slightly up.
    2009 and 2010 had a max 50k attendance, no way they sold just under 80k tickets. Obviously ticketmaster and oxegen are going to say they sold lots of tickets, it doesn't look good when a festival sells only half the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

2009 and 2010 had a max 50k attendance,

Where are you getting those figures from?

i would tend to agree with above poster, maybe not as low as 50k, but i would not put them even in the high 60k's

2009 and 2010 had a max 50k attendance, no way they sold just under 80k tickets. Obviously ticketmaster and oxegen are going to say they sold lots of tickets, it doesn't look good when a festival sells only half the tickets.

Come on man..Think of Eminem last year. Do you honestly think there was only 50k there? Not to mind the crowd at the other stages, ie, Mumford & Sons etc at the same time. Look at Snow Patrol from 2009 on MTV's coverage and say that only 50k were at that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Come on man..Think of Eminem last year. Do you honestly think there was only 50k there? Not to mind the crowd at the other stages, ie, Mumford & Sons etc at the same time. Look at Snow Patrol from 2009 on MTV's coverage and say that only 50k were at that!!

That'd include a lot of day ticketers.

Where are you getting those figures from?
    I remember reading in a paper after 2009s one, that they sold just under 50k tickets for camping, and 2010 had less of a crowd I think I heard. Oxegen is just too overprice and the weather is always brutal. Its not exactly rocket science to notice that oxegen is getting poor ticket sales these past few years.

50k campers. Day ticket holders will add like 15-20 k extra people max maybe each day, but thats it. Its funny hearing people who know sweet f all say that oxegen is as big as glastonbury, when the main stage at glastonbury gets just under 200k attendance!!! And thats just 1 Stage out of many!!!

I remember reading in a paper after 2009s one, that they sold just under 50k tickets for camping, and 2010 had less of a crowd I think I heard. Oxegen is just too overprice and the weather is always brutal. Its not exactly rocket science to notice that oxegen is getting poor ticket sales these past few years.

€240 for 3 full days of quality acts and some of the worlds biggest names. Average of €50-€60 for a 1hr 30 min concert at the O2. Do the maths and tell me Oxegen is not decent value? €240 would buy you around 6 hrs entertainment in the O2 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

A few weeks back you dismissed my use of a reputable middle-class paper like The Irish Times in proving that 09 sold 80,000 tickets and now you quote "a paper" as your proof that it only sold 50,000 tickets in 2009. The height of untruth.

50k campers. Day ticket holders will add like 15-20 k extra people max maybe each day, but thats it. Its funny hearing people who know sweet f all say that oxegen is as big as glastonbury, when the main stage at glastonbury gets just under 200k attendance!!! And thats just 1 Stage out of many!!!

Ireland has a population of 4.6m while Britain has a population of just under 60m. Therefore, it's pretty obvious Glasto will have greater crowds.

If 200,000 people attend Glasto, that means 0.33% of the population attended.

If 60,000 attend Oxegen then 1.3% of the Irish population has attended.

Interesting????????

• Advertisement

Ireland has a population of 4.6m while Britain has a population of just under 60m. Therefore, it's pretty obvious Glasto will have greater crowds.

Interesting????????

Plenty of people from Britain attend Oxegen though, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi all,

posted this elsewhere but have no replies yet

Oxegen VIP pass
    Hey all

luckily, through a relation of my mate we are getting VIP passes for Oxegen. We have got them a few times when this band plays and the last time we had free in all weekend.
    My friend has been promised 3 tickets this year.. nice one..
    However, as i hope to camp, can you access the camping site with these passes? and if it turns out that its only a day ticket can you buy weekend tickets down there?

Thanks

Plenty of people from Britain attend Oxegen though, to be fair.

The same can be said about Irish people attending Glasto. Just thought the stats are interesting, especially based on just a modest 60,000 Oxegen attendance.

Interesting????????

Not really no, how many festivals happen in England each summer, never mind the whole of UK compared to here?

The same can be said about Irish people attending Glasto. Just thought the stats are interesting, especially based on just a modest 60,000 Oxegen attendance.

Well I suppose I've never been to Glasto (yet, alas) but I'd be surprised if that as many people from Ireland go to Britain for Glasto as is the vice versa case for Oxegen. Impossible to say though, in reality.

A few weeks back you dismissed my use of a reputable middle-class paper like The Irish Times in proving that 09 sold 80,000 tickets and now you quote "a paper" as your proof that it only sold 50,000 tickets in 2009. The height of untruth.
    What I dont remember that, please provide a link...
    €240 for 3 full days of quality acts and some of the worlds biggest names. Average of €50-€60 for a 1hr 30 min concert at the O2. Do the maths and tell me Oxegen is not decent value? €240 would buy you around 6 hrs entertainment in the O2 in Dublin.
    Well, less than €185 for rock weather in 09 got me 4 days camping in awesome weather, with a line up of Coldplay, Metallica, Oasis, The prodigy, Kings of leon, the killers, 2ManyDjs, Nine inch nails, Boys Noize, Pendulum, etc. So oxegen is not that good of value really, if you take into account all the money you have to spend just on waterproof tents/clothing. Lots of festivals have the same acts as oxegen but for €50-60 cheaper. Its just typical rip off ireland, nothing new about that.

What I dont remember that, please provide a link...

Well, less than €185 for rock weather in 09 got me 4 days camping in awesome weather, with a line up of Coldplay, Metallica, Oasis, The prodigy, Kings of leon, the killers, 2ManyDjs, Nine inch nails, Boys Noize, Pendulum, etc. So oxegen is not that good of value really, if you take into account all the money you have to spend just on waterproof tents/clothing. Lots of festivals have the same acts as oxegen but for €50-60 cheaper. Its just typical rip off ireland, nothing new about that.

It's value for money from an IRISH point of view. There is no point in comparing prices of festivals in other countries.

I can get a full Irish with toast and tea in Cork for €5 which is good value for money but I could get the same on the Costa del Sol for €3.

I was comparing Oxegen with prices of concerts at the O2 in Dublin!!!!!!

Also T in the Park costs £204.95 plus booking fees which converts to roughly the same as Oxegen.

Glasto also costs £204.95 plus booking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Well, less than €185 for rock weather in 09 got me 4 days camping

It's Rock Werchter, thanks for the lulz :P

People are being way to pessimistic about the oxegen attendance, i know plenty of people who are going but haven't bothered to buy their tickets yet. MCD will sell a good few more yet!

It's value for money from an IRISH point of view. There is no point in comparing prices of festivals in other countries.

I can get a full Irish with toast and tea in Cork for €5 which is good value for money but I could get the same on the Costa del Sol for €3.

I was comparing Oxegen with prices of concerts at the O2 in Dublin!!!!!!
    Its not a proper comparison, to compare festivals with a standard concert.
    It's Rock Werchter, thanks for the lulz
    Damn auto correct strikes again :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

50k campers. Day ticket holders will add like 15-20 k extra people max maybe each day, but thats it.

That's a lot more than 50,000 attendance though.

Advertisement